SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have recently installed or are going to be installing an intercooler, make sure to really tighten your clamps so one of your couplers doesnt blow off under full boost like mine did an hour ago ! Dashboard lit up like a christmas and scared the bejesussss out of me !

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought a yonaka type ten intercooler, the one the comes with the PHMIC, and did my own piping. Entire project cost me 290 dollars. Found the intercooler online for 160+ free shipping and bought 2mm thick aluminum piping, clamps, and couplers for 130

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Pics? Install writeup?
Some of us want documentation and instructions!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Are your endtanks oriented low [PHMIC] or high [Viva style]? They're similar cores, if I'm not mistaken, and can basically be flipped to be like the other :D Did you do the whole thing sans silicone, or just use generic couplers?

Also, if your craftsmanship is good, you should try replicating this and selling in the classifieds. If it was ~$500 shipped, I would consider getting one [this is assuming I don't have to drill my own sensor locations and all] and could make them for up or down orientation... Just an idea :D

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pics? Install writeup?
Some of us want documentation and instructions!
I will be doing a write up in a couple of weeks. School is taking up a lot of my time right now along with baseball! But i will be doing a write up. Overall the process was actually really easy and straight forward. It took me and one of my friends about 6 hours to do and that included two runs to home depot and lunch :) If i did it again I bet i could do it a lot faster. To be honest I though putting everything back together was harder than disassembling and installing the intercooler

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
If you have recently installed or are going to be installing an intercooler, make sure to really tighten your clamps so one of your couplers doesnt blow off under full boost like mine did an hour ago ! Dashboard lit up like a christmas and scared the bejesussss out of me !
+1 same exact thing happened to me on the test drive after installing my FMIC last Easter. I blew the coupler off the intake manifold.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are your endtanks oriented low [PHMIC] or high [Viva style]? They're similar cores, if I'm not mistaken, and can basically be flipped to be like the other :D Did you do the whole thing sans silicone, or just use generic couplers?

Also, if your craftsmanship is good, you should try replicating this and selling in the classifieds. If it was ~$500 shipped, I would consider getting one [this is assuming I don't have to drill my own sensor locations and all] and could make them for up or down orientation... Just an idea :D
I used generic 4 ply couplers. Paid a little extra for them but well worth it! I mounted it low like the PHMIC. Reason being is the space between the main frame and the radiator/AC on the left hand side(looking at the car from the front) where the original coupler runs from the OTE to the intercooler is really tight. So tight that i hesitated to stuff a 2.5 inch piece of aluminum through that space. Overall mounting the way Phuzzy does his adds a little extra piping, but i highly doubt there is a noticeable difference. I did however do my cold side piping different the phuz. Because there was a little more room between the main frame and radiator on the right side, right after the intercooler i went with a 90 degree elbow and fit a pipe in that small space. So basically what i did was i made my hot side like phuz does and my cold side like Viva does. Overall I am very happy with my setup. No more heat soak or anything. It was a lot of fun piecing everything together. A little frustrating at times but hey thats how you learn. If i were to do it again i bet i could get the whole front end apart in ten minutes. So it was well worth the hassle and I learned a lot from it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts