SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from U Pull U Pay in Aurora, CO and they have a white/tan 850R sedan in excellent shape. If any of you in the area need parts, I’d hustle on over.
Wheels are gone, engine intact, interior intact, Suspension exhaust and transmission all there. I actually might go back for front seats, and some other parts.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I feel sad when I see an 850 R in that. situation. That car had to be loved by somebody at some point. I wonder what happened to it along the way…

Nora in Florida
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Funny enough, I couldn’t tell what was wrong with the car. Interior in fantastic shape, no exterior collision, motor was well maintained, brand new alternator...

I’m sorry to see it go as well, but happy that the valuable parts are going to good use.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Saw you on reddit today! Good progress on the car.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Unfortunately, even the R vehicles are becoming throw away vehicles to those that don't know, or care, about the significance of this car. So, it comes down to us keeping an eye out, and trying to keep the remainder of these cars that are salvageable/restorable out of the junk yards. This also includes 850 T5 vehicles in my eyes as well.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Funny enough, I couldn’t tell what was wrong with the car. Interior in fantastic shape, no exterior collision, motor was well maintained, brand new alternator...

I’m sorry to see it go as well, but happy that the valuable parts are going to good use.
Was it beyond being salvageable? Brand new alternator…

Nora in Florida
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
I was looking at Row52 and noticed the shadow on the fender of this one and it made me laugh.

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
What’s going on with the fender?
Oh, there's the shadow of a prancing moose badge/sticker above the Volvo name plate (the triangular looking area) which would indicate it was owned by an "enthusiast". It's MY95 Turbo, so less to cry over than a T5-R or 850R, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Oh, there's the shadow of a prancing moose badge/sticker above the Volvo name plate (the triangular looking area) which would indicate it was owned by an "enthusiast". It's MY95 Turbo, so less to cry over than a T5-R or 850R, IMHO.
Yes, I agree. What is the difference between a T5-R and an 850R ?

I still get sad when I see these vehicles in the junkyard. My 1996 is still my daily ride.

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
Yes, I agree. What is the difference between a T5-R and an 850R ?

I still get sad when I see these vehicles in the junkyard. My 1996 is still my daily ride.
They're just different versions of 850 models. The T5-R was a one year only edition that "started" the R versions in general. It was released in 1995 with only the yellow, black and green colors. The yellow ones are the ones I'm sure you'd recognize. Then the 850R followed each year and that transitions into the V70R.

There are descriptions of these here... Volvo 850 - Wikipedia

Edit: I should clarify that a clean example of any Volvo in the junk yard is a sad thing to me, but I just think there's a hierarchy of what constitutes a tragedy, LOL.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
They're just different versions of 850 models. The T5-R was a one year only edition that "started" the R versions in general. It was released in 1995 with only the yellow, black and green colors. The yellow ones are the ones I'm sure you'd recognize. Then the 850R followed each year and that transitions into the V70R.

There are descriptions of these here... Volvo 850 - Wikipedia

Edit: I should clarify that a clean example of any Volvo in the junk yard is a sad thing to me, but I just think there's a hierarchy of what constitutes a tragedy, LOL.
That was a very interesting article. I hadn’t realized they were made in green.

Yes, there is definitely a hierarchy in the tragedies. I hope I can keep mine for many more years. It has over 172,000 miles on it. I’m not sure of the exact amount, since the odometer has stopped working twice over the years. I had it fixed the first time when they had to do some repairs in that area anyway. I think I’ll wait again on the next repair.

The service light has been on for a couple of months so I’m going to take it in for the 175,000 mile after Christmas. I think I’ll start keeping track of the mileage now with the trip odometer.

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just got back from U Pull U Pay in Aurora, CO and they have a white/tan 850R sedan in excellent shape. If any of you in the area need parts, I’d hustle on over.
I went over on Saturday since I'm trying to find an odometer that's remotely close to 241k unlike the one in my car. The odo on this one was beyond 330k miles, unfortunately, but I got the SC-815 radio for a consolation prize, as someone had kindly written the anti-theft code right on the unit. Cost me $11 bucks and now I don't have to fiddle with the changer every time I want to pop in a CD. I'll call that a success.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I went over on Saturday since I'm trying to find an odometer that's remotely close to 241k unlike the one in my car. The odo on this one was beyond 330k miles, unfortunately, but I got the SC-815 radio for a consolation prize, as someone had kindly written the anti-theft code right on the unit. Cost me $11 bucks and now I don't have to fiddle with the changer every time I want to pop in a CD. I'll call that a success.
That’s a great sign. My CD player hasn’t worked for two years.

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
5,227 Posts
That’s a great sign. My CD player hasn’t worked for two years.
Swapping the head units with other OEM units is very easy, Nora. If you want to have the capability to play CD's, you should totally do so.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts