SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First - thanks for the wealth of information on this site! It has been very helpful in navigating through this process and planning out trip!

We are doing our first OSD trip (and it's out first Volvo!) to pick up my S60 T5 in just over a week and we're really looking forward to it! I have traveled in Europe before but will be seeing lots of new places on this trip - the only place I have been to before on our itinerary is Paris. This will be my boyfriends first trip to Europe :)

Everyone always has really helpful criticism/feedback for people who post their plans so I wanted to share ours as well and see if anyone had some suggestions. At this point, the delivery date and air travel plans can't be changed but I'm open to ideas for our plans in between.

Day 1 -Tuesday, June 12
Arrive in Gothenburg in the AM
Explore Gothenburg
Night in Gothenburg

Day 2 - Wednesday, June 13
Delivery @10am, lunch, tour - drive to Copenhagen (bridge)
Night in Copenhagen

Day 3 - Thursday, June 14
Explore Copenhagen
Night in Copenhagen

Day 4 - Friday, June 15
Drive to Bremen (break up drive to Amsterdam)
Night in Bremem (free hotel night thanks to points from work travel)

Day 5 - Saturday, June 16
Drive to Amsterdam in AM - leave car in Park & Ride lot
Night in Amsterdam (staying on a houseboat)

Day 6- Sunday, June 17
Explore Amsterdam
Night in Amsterdam

Day 7 - Monday, June 18
Explore Amsterdam
Night in Amsterdam

Day 8 - Tuesday, June 19
Drive to Brussels (leaving early AM)
Drop car off in Brussels
Leave luggage at train station and have lunch/spend afternoon in Brussels
Train to Paris (1hr 20min)- Arrive @ 6
Night in Paris

Day 9 - Wednesday, June 20
Explore Paris
Night in Paris

Day 10 - Thursday, June 21
Explore Paris
Night in Paris

Day 11 - Friday, June 22
Fly home - earlllyyy

I originally planned to drop the car in Amsterdam - but didn't consider that it would be a Saturday. Our current plan is to leave the car in a P&R lot (8 euro/day) for our stay in Amsterdam and drop it off in Brussels on the way to Paris. It seems to either be that or take time out of a full day in Amsterdam to take care of the drop-off - and it's more expensive to drop there as well.

I welcome any feedback!! Thank you :)

·
Premium Member
12,052 Posts
Make an appt for drop off in Brussels: Here is all the contact info and costs...
BRUSSELS, BELGIUM
(€165 / XC60 & XC90 €195)
AC Brussels N.V.
Leuvensesteenweg 327
1932 Zaventem
Phone: +32 2 712 60 29
Fax: +32 2 725 11 35
E-mail: [email protected]
Open: Mon-Fri 9-12 am, 2-4 pm
Payments: Cash in €.
All major credit cards.

If Nadine is still there...tell her I said "hi" :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello Manda,

We are picking up our S60 T5 the day before you, on June 12! Our itinerary will focus on Sweden and Norway, and we'll be flying home same day as you out of Bergen, Norway (via Copenhagen). We'll be departing the Radisson mid morning on the 13th for Stockholm. I went back and forth on the issue of driving the car on our trip, but ended up deciding on train travel. In Norway we will need a car for 2 days around the fjords, so we are going to rent. Otherwise, my husband is a train nut so he is happy to be able to ride the rails--and we are traveling with just one carry-on each so luggage won't be a huge issue.

Maybe we'll see you there! Your itinerary sounds great--I'm sorry I don't have any experience with those countries to provide tips.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank Bob, we will!

Splitshot- just about a week to go now! Maybe we will cross paths at the Radisson. I love traveling by train in Europe - it's so fast & efficient! And if you ship your car back in the beginning of the trip it's that much less time you'll have to wait for it at home :) This trip is so different than my usual vacation style - I typically like to stay put and get to know 1 or 2 places but this will be a fun road trip.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hello Splitshot and Manda: We are also picking up our car (S80) on June 12...and spending our time in Sweden, Denmark, and Norway. The train idea is a great one, as I also love trains and we have done a lot of train travel in Europe too! However, my wife feels we have more "freedom" using the car....so, since it is to be her car....we are mostly driving. At the later part of our 3 week stay, we will be turning the car in at FDC in Gothenburg, then taking the train to Stockholm. So, at least I get one train ride! Splitshot....I see you are from Tacoma, Wa. That's a lot of airplane time! We are coming from Tampa, Florida....also too much air time. We also like to stay in one place and get to know that area well. This will be a lot of "road trip" time. Perhaps we will see y'all in Gothenburg. Safe travels.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, it will be a lot of time in the air. We fly out of SEATAC to Chicago, then to Stockholm then to Gotheburg. SAS no longer has a hub in Seattle so it's not as convenient to fly with them, but for free tickets I'm not complaining. I've penciled in "NAP" for when we arrive at the hotel! I thought after the factory pick up and tour we might drive the car a few hours north to a castle (Lacko Slott?) or to the watercolor museum. There is also a boat cruise through the Gothenburg archipelago w/wout dinner that we might try Monday or Tues night. We leave for Stockholm on Wednesday morning. Coming from Tampa you will probably be in a totally different climate in Scandinavia! I'm dressing for cool weather (mid 60's); not sure I'll even need shorts. Hope to see you or manda there!

·
Registered
14 Posts
In Copenhagen, take the Segway tour. It was informative and lot of fun. It takes only minutes to learn how to ride/drive one. You can cover a lot of ground traveling up to 12 mph so you get to see a lot of the city you would not normally see. The tour guide uses a radio transmitter that is received through your helmet so you can listen to the commentary even if you are a block away. It's great!

http://tourscph.com/

Have a fun trip!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
When we stayed in Copenhagen we stayed at the Kong Arthur hotel. A bit out of the centre but had a great suite and there was safe parking behind the hotel where I left the car. We walked to everything we wanted to do in Copenhagen - great city. And there were some simple eating places nearby as well.

The Amsterdam drop-off place is a bit difficult to find. As Bob suggests you may be better off taking the car all the way to BRU. If you're leaving the car at a park and ride in / near Amsterdam just be sure its a safe place. The other alternative is the airport - a bit more expensive but probably safe as well - and there are efficient trains into Amsterdam Central Station.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When we stayed in Copenhagen we stayed at the Kong Arthur hotel. A bit out of the centre but had a great suite and there was safe parking behind the hotel where I left the car. We walked to everything we wanted to do in Copenhagen - great city. And there were some simple eating places nearby as well.

The Amsterdam drop-off place is a bit difficult to find. As Bob suggests you may be better off taking the car all the way to BRU. If you're leaving the car at a park and ride in / near Amsterdam just be sure its a safe place. The other alternative is the airport - a bit more expensive but probably safe as well - and there are efficient trains into Amsterdam Central Station.
I hadn't even thought of leaving the car at the airport! That's definitely another idea to consider. I am definitely a bit concerned about leaving the new car!! It says the park and ride lots are supervised but I am still nervous about it. The one we were planning to use is right by the train station and it a 5 minute ride from Central. I will program the airport into my GPS as a backup if the P&R lot doesn't look like a good option!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, it will be a lot of time in the air. We fly out of SEATAC to Chicago, then to Stockholm then to Gotheburg. SAS no longer has a hub in Seattle so it's not as convenient to fly with them, but for free tickets I'm not complaining. I've penciled in "NAP" for when we arrive at the hotel! I thought after the factory pick up and tour we might drive the car a few hours north to a castle (Lacko Slott?) or to the watercolor museum. There is also a boat cruise through the Gothenburg archipelago w/wout dinner that we might try Monday or Tues night. We leave for Stockholm on Wednesday morning. Coming from Tampa you will probably be in a totally different climate in Scandinavia! I'm dressing for cool weather (mid 60's); not sure I'll even need shorts. Hope to see you or manda there!
We have the full day on Tuesday in Gothenburg and want to check out the archipelago - but we will have to see our energy level since we arrive that AM. I read that the ferry is an easy way to see the islands at your own pace - and since our pace will be jetlagged I was thinking we would just do that so we have some flexibility. Which company were you looking at for the boat cruise? I will check it out as another alternative - it's prob a better option if we want to relax/nap and then see the islands later in the day.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I hadn't even thought of leaving the car at the airport! That's definitely another idea to consider. I am definitely a bit concerned about leaving the new car!! It says the park and ride lots are supervised but I am still nervous about it. The one we were planning to use is right by the train station and it a 5 minute ride from Central. I will program the airport into my GPS as a backup if the P&R lot doesn't look like a good option!
Here's a link to the parking at AMS Schiphol Airport
http://www.schiphol.nl/Travellers/ToFromSchiphol/Parking.htm

Dutch Railways (nederlandse spoorwegen) web site (also in English):
http://www.ns.nl

Nonstop trains take about 15 minutes from the airport to Amsterdam CS and cost around 4 Eu one way with a discount for same day return tickets. Trains leave sometimes every 7 or 8 minutes depending on the time of day.

The airport train station is underground - an entrance is on the northeast end of the airport (you can see this in Google Earth). If you choose to park in one of the long term lots (cheaper) you get a shuttle bus to the terminal and train station.

A few years ago I parked my car at the Hotel Breukelen (intersection A2 - N401) which is right next to the train station. At that time it was a secure place - paid parking. You may be able to find other similar places near train stations ... it will all depend on where you're coming from / staying / etc.

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
On day 4 consider stopping in Roskilde or Odense. Roskilde has the Viking Museum and Cathederal with Danishg Kings. Odense has HC Andersen's childhood home (and more).

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
On day 4 consider stopping in Roskilde or Odense. Roskilde has the Viking Museum and Cathederal with Danishg Kings. Odense has HC Andersen's childhood home (and more).
David is THE MAN.......I would consider his advice having just completed his 3 week OSD trip!!!!

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
I'm only mentioning places we stopped and enjoyed.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts