SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Golden Gate Chapter of VCOA will have a "club corral" at the Speed GT Races to watch the S60Rs run. We are working with Volvo and the Bay Area Volvo Dealers on exactly what this will turn into. At the least it will be a great day with "all together" parking in the turn 2 area (good spot) and discount tickets. At most, If I can influence how the dealers spend their marketing money, we'll have a tent, free food, and hopefully a party on Saturday night with the race team. I'm working hard on getting us the chance to meet Derek Bell and the other drivers.<br>More details on this soon. Hang on to the dates. If you are in the Bay Area and are interested in attending, please let me know so I can get the discount tickets for you. You don't need to be a VCOA member to participate. If you are already on my email list, no need to respond to this message, you'll know soon as I do.<p>Lee<br>

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: July 17 & 18 Speed GT Races at Sears Point (L Cordner)

Here is preliminary information on the Speed GT races at Sears Point.<p>Tickets:<p><br>Saturday $15<p>Sunday $30<p><br>These are club prices and a substantial discount over what you would pay at the gate. We also get premium “all together” parking in the Turn 2 club corral area. You must bring a Volvo to get into the club corral! See rules below.<p><br>You’ll need to send me a check for the tickets you want. Be sure to specify exactly what tickets you are ordering, and let me know your return address so I can send you the tickets!<p><br>Make the check out to NBVCOA and mail it to <p>Lee Cordner <p>313 Point San Pedro Rd. <p>San Rafael 94901<p><br>I will need to purchase tickets by June 30 to make sure I have enough time to get your tickets mailed back to you. If you want to go to the races, send me your $$ soon!<p>The S60R team races in the Speed World Challenge GT division. As you can see from the preliminary schedule below, it is a little confusing as to exactly when the Speed GT cars will be running. I have a call in to our guy at Sears Point to get some clarification, and will pass that along to you.<p>INFINEON RACEWAY<p>July 16-18, 2004<p>Preliminary Schedule<p><br>Friday, July 16, 2004<br>8:30 am - 9:00 am Practice - Star Mazda Series<p>9:15 am - 9:45 am Practice - TONKA Super Truck Racing Series<p>10:00 am - 10:20 am Practice - SPEED World Challenge Touring<p>10:25 am - 10:45 am Practice - SPEED World Challenge GT<p>11:00 am - 11:30 am Practice - Star Mazda Series<p>11:30 am - 12:30 pm Lunch<p>12:30 pm - 1:00 pm Test Session - ALMS (LM P900/LM P675)<p>1:00 pm - 2:00 pm Test Session - ALMS (All Classes)<p>2:00 pm - 2:30 pm Test Session - ALMS (GTS/GT)<p>2:45 pm - 3:15 pm Practice - Star Mazda Series<p>3:30 pm - 4:15 pm Practice - SPEED World Challenge Touring<p>3:55 pm - 4:15 pm Practice - SPEED World Challenge GT<p>4:30 pm - 5:00 pm Practice - TONKA Super Truck Racing Series<p><br>Saturday, July 17, 2004<br>8:30 am - 9:15 am Qualifying - Star Mazda Series<p>9:30 am - 10:30 am Practice - American Le Mans Series (All Classes)<p>10:45 am - 11:05 am Qualifying - SPEED World Challenge Touring<p>11:10 am - 11:30 am Qualifying - SPEED World Challenge GT<p>11:45 am - 12:10 pm Qualifying - TONKA Super Truck Racing Series<p>12:10 pm - 1:10 pm Lunch<p>1:10 pm - 2:10 pm Practice - American Le Mans Series (All Classes)<p>2:20 pm - 2:40 pm Qualifying - ALMS (GTS/GT)<p>2:45 pm - 3:05 pm Qualifying - ALMS (LM P900/LM P675)<p>3:20 pm - 4:05 pm Star Mazda Series Race - 45 Minutes<p>4:25 pm - 5:15 pm SPEED World Challenge Race #1 - 50 Minute Window<p><br>Sunday, July 18, 2004<p><br>8:15 am - 8:45 am Warm up - American Le Mans Series (All Classes)<p>9:10 am - 10:00 am SPEED World Challenge Race #2 - 50 Minute Window<p>10:00 am - 11:00 am Lunch/Pre-Race Ceremonies<p>11:00 am - 1:45 pm American Le Mans Series Race Round #2 - 2 Hours 45 Minutes<p>2:15 pm - 2:45 pm TONKA Super Truck Racing Series Race - 30 Minutes<p>Tentative - schedule subject to change.<p><br>Corrals<p>Parking in the corrals is for car club members only. Members must drive their “club car” (ie: corvette club members must be in a corvette) to park in the corral area. NO EXCEPTIONS will be made, so please inform your members. Small tents are permitted or can be rented for your corral. <p><br>Alcoholic Beverages<p>No alcoholic beverages may be brought into the facility. Glass containers are not allowed anywhere in the paddock area, but they are allowed in the corral area. This policy will be enforced at all raceway entrances. Beer is available for purchase on the property at concession areas around the track. A sampling of wines from the Sonoma Valley will also be available at the Food and Wine Pavilion.<p><br>Campfires<p>Infineon Raceway does not allow any open campfires or open-flame BBQ's on the property. <p><br>Car Corral Entry & Exit <p>All cars should be parked no later than 12 PM and remain in the corral until 3pm.<p><br>Corral Passes<p>Corral passes will be provided with your tickets. Upon entering the facility at Gate 1, just follow the signs to your specific car corral<p><br>For more information, please contact Brad Lawrence at 707-938-8448 x139 or by fax at 707-938-8430 or by email at [email protected]<p><br>Highways 37 & 121 Sonoma, CA 95476<p><br>VOLVO “R” NOW MEANS RACING:<p>Volvo Cars of North America will sponsor S60 R GT Team, At Speed Motorsports, with Derek Bell / Bob Miller / Paul Gerrard driving<p><br>Irvine, CA --- Following a record-breaking sales year in 2003, Volvo Cars of North America will take the battle for supremacy in the premium car market into a totally new 'arena' for 2004 – the racetracks of the USA.<p>The company's first foray into racing in the US will be spearheaded by a retailer-backed four car Volvo team in the 2004 SPEED World Challenge GT Series run by At Speed Motorsports and featuring Le Mans racing legend, Derek Bell, as lead driver.<p>The racing Volvo S60 Rs will be enhanced versions of the recently launched and highly acclaimed Volvo high performance sedan. Changes to the stock S60 R models will be announced closer to the start of the World Challenge season and will boost the already potent 300 BHP speedster’s abilities by a significant amount.<p>Bell will be joined for the 2004 season by At Speed Motorsports' owner and 2001 World Challenge GT Rookie of the Year, Bob Miller. Journeyman racer Paul Gerrard will make up the rest of the Volvo trio, with Miller serving in the dual capacity of team strategic director and racer. A fourth driver will be announced later.<p>The decision to underscore the performance heritage of the Volvo “R” series came as the natural result of established reactions to the car from automotive journalists and owner enthusiasts. “European Car magazine selected the S60 R as its top-choice for 2003 and with every media road test we heard praise for its all-around performance and style," says Vic Doolan, President and CEO of Volvo Cars of North America. “It was inevitable that we would seek out a place to flex Volvo’s newest high-performance muscles and the SPEED World Challenge GT Series along with At Speed seemed an appropriate combination.”<p>“We also want everyone to see us coming, especially since Bell will be in the command seat,” added Doolan. “This meant combining the talents of Volvo's Camarillo, CA design center and At Speed Motorsports to come up with a paint scheme that no one could miss!” As a result, the Volvo race cars will initially be liveried in dramatic 'mirror effect' blue and silver design, highlighted in red. The retro pop-art design is reminiscent of the race cars of the seventies and eighties when Derek Bell won five 24-Hour races at Le Mans and racked-up an impressive series of sports car and endurance race wins. Bell began his career in 1964 and also raced in Formula One in 1968 when signed by Ferrari. He is by all standards a racer’s racer and icon for the sport. <p>Bell will drive the full season for At Speed, and return to the duties he had as an in-car announcer for Speed Channel before missing the 2003 season. “I am ecstatic to be part of Volvo’s first motorsport involvement in the United States and it will be good to be back in the GT Series. Between driving, announcing, and helping to develop the new race car, this should be an exciting year for me. I enjoyed racing against Bob in the past, and I’m looking forward to working with Volvo and to driving with Bob and Paul in 2004.” <p>

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Re: July 17 & 18 Speed GT Races at Sears Point (L Cordner)

Is VCOA organizing a similar event for the Speed GT series event at Mid Ohio June 25-27? We here in the midwest would be especially interested in this. You guys out west certainly do have it all organized quite well. <p>I'd really like to drive over to Lexington OH (I'm in Indianapolis....in fact sitting out the rain delay for the Indy 500 right now) Saturday for qualifications and spend the night Saturday in Mansfield and watch the race Sunday.<p>Let's hear from the midwest folks and support of S60R!!!

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: July 17 & 18 Speed GT Races at Sears Point (soledoc)

Quick Update on this event. <br>Ticket sales are going pretty well, we should have a large number of cars in the club corral to cheer for the S60R's.<p>Got an email from Bob Miller saying that he and Derrick Bell and eight other members of the race team will be at the party at our home in San Rafael (about 10 miles from the track) on Saturday night. I was roaming around Volvo in Irvine last week taliking this up, and it appears there will be a number of Volvo exec's at the party, too.<p>If you are planning to come, I need to know by July 1 so that I can get tickets and club corral passes and mail them back to you in time for the race. If you just want to come to the party and meet Derrick Bell, let me know and I'll fit you in if I can. If you want to park in the club corral, you need to get your tickets through VCOA. If you have questions contact me at [email protected]<p>Lee<br>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts