SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Awesome dude. Although my one worry would be if that check valve takes a poop on ya, you might get some poop on ya when you don't have braking power to stop...
I'm curious about the operation of that check valve. I believe the RS doesn't have a vacuum pump and has a tube going straight out of the upper plenum to the brake booster. I know two functions of the check valve are to keep inlet plenum boost out of the brake booster system and to preserve vacuum in the system when the motor is off. So the check valve only allows air to flow toward the inlet plenum and if you try to blow through the tube from the inlet plenum end the valve closes. I'm not sure how it operates relative to the secondary tube that enters the side of the valve from the turbo intake pipe. My assumption was that it provided vacuum to the brake booster system when the inlet plenum was under a boost condition since presumably the turbo intake pipe would be under vacuum. A quick test with a spare tube/valve system I have doesn't point to this mode of operation. If I put the inlet plenum end under pressure to simulate boost I can't seem to get any air to flow through the secondary tube in either direction. I've read in other places of people doing the pump delete and using the RS vacuum tube that in certain circumstances (foot on accelerator and brake at the same time) they have no brake boost. I thought by keeping the secondary vacuum line from the turbo inlet pipe I would avoid that situation or something like it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Ok just done the vac pump delete.

You will need to do the RS Vac pipe mod, rerouting the vac pipe from the plenum to the brake servo I think it is.

Then you can remove the Vac pipe as it is now redundant, you will juse need to remove the bolts on the mount to remove it.

Here is the link to the kind of pipe you need:
https://customod.co.uk/products/focus-st225-vac-pipe-kit

·
Registered
393 Posts
I've just done the vac pump removal also, I popped off the clamps for the rubber 90 degree elbow and got some 8mm id silicone vac hose to replace the moulded plastic tubing and a 8mm blanking cap to block off the line to the intake tube, I was able to use the factory connections for the intake manifold and the firewall connection.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Nice work and documenting details. I have two questions. What are the down sides to removing the vacuum pump? Where did you get the 90 deg elbow for the intake pipe?
Thanks
Stan

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The down sides so far is having everyone that hasn’t done the mod, tell you your brakes won’t work. They have worked fine.

The 3” coupler elbow can be found at any auto store or eBay for cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
393 Posts
It's just a 3inch silicone 90 degree elbow and a short section of 3 inch alloy tube for the filter to go on and connect to the elbow.

I've also got the Ford Focus RS ecu mount where the airbox would normally be.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Lol, this
Yeah, you’ll get that, “can’t be possible crap” from people whom are armchair warriors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

21 - 28 of 28 Posts