SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Greetings to everyone on here, I have been lurking for a bit on the forums. So I finally decided to pull the trigger. My wife got a 2013 XC70 T6 recently, we both love the car. Great for bikes, trips, just about anything :) It replaced a 2005 Saab 9-2X Linear.

So... I was mulling over the S60 and pulled the trigger on a 2012 S60 R Design, hard to pass up the incentives and got a great tradein on my 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD. Liked the Saab, but I feel like the Volvo is a step up - and I was also getting tired of the B.S. with Saab parts availability. Even something simple like an OEM 12V outlet cover was a fiasco. Did not give me confidence in the long-term.

Take delivery of the S60 Friday, very excited! I got the following options -
*Silver exterior
*Black interior
*Multimedia package
*Climate package
*Parking sensors (front/rear)
*BLIS

I have read the differing reviews, but I like the pull of the S60 R design. The peakiness of it does not bother me...

I take delivery on Friday, I did have a few questions.
*Are the front cameras worth it? Seems rather pricey for it what is?
*I do plan on getting a car cover, any suggestions?
*The dealer mentioned extending the OEM warranty at purchase time, should I?

Thanks!

-Matt

·
Registered
13,962 Posts
Congratulations on the two new Volvos in the stable!

I don't know the answers to your other questions but I've always shied away from car covers unless you were going to wash the car every time before you put the cover on. Otherwise, I would be worried about scratches caused by dirt on your car that will then transfer to the car cover.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I first saw the front camera at the S60 introduction. I immediately said "I've got to have one. When I made my deal, I forced the dealer to "throw one in" as a dealer installed option. Of course, I realize in the long run, I paid for it. After having the car for over a year, I find I don't use it very often, but when I need it when coming out of tight spaces, it is really handy for seeing around corners. It also takes a little getting used to when looking at the split screen and the "fish eye view".

Is it worth the price if I actually paid for it as a line item? Not sure - I'd put it at 50/50 since it is rarely used. But....... When needed, it is great.

Not sure this answers your question. But for what it's worth, my opinion.

Johnny

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I usually do wash the car before I put the cover on, or use a california car duster if it is very clean. Will cover when I am going out of town for the week, or sometimes two.

Thanks for the advice on the cameras, I was able to get a good deal otherwise, so the front cameras are extra. Hmmm, living in Chicago they could be useful, however.

·
Registered
3,683 Posts
Welcome and enjoy the two new Volvos...........

Are you a Cubs fan or a White Soxs fan???????????

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I usually do wash the car before I put the cover on, or use a california car duster if it is very clean. Will cover when I am going out of town for the week, or sometimes two.

Thanks for the advice on the cameras, I was able to get a good deal otherwise, so the front cameras are extra. Hmmm, living in Chicago they could be useful, however.
Congrats on the new Volvos.
Just curious, did you buy both from the same store?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome and enjoy the two new Volvos...........

Are you a Cubs fan or a White Soxs fan???????????
Cubs, but when it's time for the playoffs - SOX :)

We did, Orloff Volvo. Got a pretty good deal on both, my R Design arrives on Friday - excited!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
We did, Orloff Volvo. Got a pretty good deal on both, my R Design arrives on Friday - excited!
Great! Good luck. Orloff used to be one of the stores in my territory before I took on the Southern California market. Sales Manager (Greg) is a very nice guy!

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Cubs, but when it's time for the playoffs - SOX :)

My two favorite teams in Major League Baseball:

1) The Chicago Cubs

2) ANY team playing the Chicago White Sox !!!

:D

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
Can you find me this car on the west coast?
Two or three available. One at Sandberg Volvo and the other at Volvo Irvine (in Irvine, CA).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My two favorite teams in Major League Baseball:

1) The Chicago Cubs
2) ANY team playing the Chicago White Sox !!!

:D
Watching the Tigers beat the SOX right now :)

Well the R-Design arrived! I took it on a road trip back to MI to see the folks. Really really like the car overall...

A few observations:
*Engine - I do agree that the R Design throttle map is a bit touchy, I find myself having to be a little careful in city traffic. I am getting used to it, but it does take some adjustment. I DO love the Torque, the engine just pulls and keeps pulling! I find it is smooth and has a nice sound. I prefer it over my 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero XWD. The Volvo engine seems to be more balanced, and has a wider torque band. On my first tank, mostly highway driving with about 30MI of creeping Chicago traffic, my avarage was 23.6. Highway was averaging more like 25or 26. Hopefully with the car breaking in I might get a little more?

*Transmission - Seems to shift quickly when it needs to, I find it shifts well enough, but it seems to hunt a bit more than I'd like. Seems to be a solid box.

*Suspension - The ride is defenitely firm, but I never find it to be harsh. The structure seems to be stiff enough to absorb hard impacts. After a variety of city and highway driving in Chicago and Detroit it does not bother me at all. I like the crisper handling over the standard T6. Have not driven the active suspension T6, so I can't compare. Defenitely handles better than my Saab 9-3 Aero XWD.

*Steering - Good, I may try the different stiffness settings. A little numb, but seems to be weighted well, little tramlining.

*Brakes - I have not driven hard enough (breakin still) to find fault in the brakes. They seem good to me, no complaints yet. I did test drive a 2013, which seems to bite a little harder, but I could not justify the many thousands more that would have cost.

*Interior - First off, the front seats are incredibly comfortable for me. I am 6'2" and they fit me perfectly. I would not want to be any taller, but for me they are very comfortable. I drove from Chicago to the metro Detroit area literally right after taking delivery, about 5.5 hours in the car with two quick stops. NO soreness, better than my Saab seats in fact. I like the controls and layout, everything seems intiutive to me. HVAC seems to work well, A/C was nice and cold in 95 degree temps. Maybe it is my height or the way I sit, but I found my left arm did get sore after several hours. I feel like the door arm rest does not work well for me because I sit so far back. The left footrest is ok, but seems a bit far off to the left - maybe for safety? Really the only annoyance for me is the door armrest. Otherwise I am very satisfied with the interior!

*Exterior - I love the lines, how the fender crease is carrier back, the front end, the DRL's, the diffuser. All integrates well. I feel like the car has a sporty edge with the R Design kit, but does not look like a boy racer. The wheels are also awesome, love how they carry right to the edge of the tire. I bet they are prone to get curb rash? I bet automated car washes are a no-no.

*Stereo/NAV - I have the multimedia package option. The stereo is good, after a vareity of EQ, fade and surround sound tweaks I find the sound is good. Highs and mids sound great, bass is good. I do find at high volumes I can invoke some distortion, and the < 100hz bass is a little less than I expected. I find the sound better balanced than on my Saab, which had the "Centerpoint" Bose option. The soundstage is very good, I really like the surround effect, tho I only use a little more than default. On max it is overkill. Sirius and the Bluetooth integration have both been fine on my iPhone4 (iOS 5.1).
I am still getting used to the navigation system, I find it works fine and the system responds quickly. My sister has a 2013 Escape with Ford MyTouch, which IMHO is inferior - reacts so slow and is needlessly complicated. Voice commands work well for me as well, no issues. Also tried the 2012 BMW 3 series NAV recently, and I found it more complicated to use.

*City Safety - Have not used it yet :) One annoying thing is it seeems to freak out my Valentine One radar detector with laser pulses in city traffic. ugggggh.... Not a huge deal, because I do not use my radar detector in city driving.

*Lighting - The Xenons are nice, they bend more than my Saab headlights did. They do not seem to be Bi-Xenon however? I find the Volvo does have better lighting dispersion than the Saab. A little surprised the Volvo does not have front fog lights? The bumper seems to have a space for them? Love the tail light design at night!
The interior lighting is nice, the puddle lamps are a nice touch at night as well!

Overall very happy with my purchase, wish I could have gotten a V60 R Design, but that is a no go in the U.S...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Did anyone get the little blue PoleStar emblem with their car?, i didn't =(
You have to register the car on the Polestar site and they will send you one.

·
Super Moderator
39,289 Posts
I need to get a PoleStar emblem.
You must register your car's VIN with Polestar at www.polestar.se

Once they verify your VIN, they will send you an official owners kit which will contain the emblem.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Regarding the engine and MPG, You'll get slightly worse MPG in S mode. In D mode, I find the car to get decent mileage and the throttle isn't as touchy.

D mode MPG for me is 23 city/28 highway.

S mode 20.5 mpg and 26 highway.

In either case, i'm using 100% no ethanol pump premium 91. I get slighly worse with 10% ethanol fuel.

It's all about tradeoffs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Regarding the engine and MPG, You'll get slightly worse MPG in S mode. In D mode, I find the car to get decent mileage and the throttle isn't as touchy.

D mode MPG for me is 23 city/28 highway.

S mode 20.5 mpg and 26 highway.

In either case, i'm using 100% no ethanol pump premium 91. I get slighly worse with 10% ethanol fuel.

It's all about tradeoffs.
Unfourtunately here in Chicago 10% Ethanol is everywhere :-( I personally think Ethanol, E85 in particular, is a political bamoozle, but that is another discussion... At around 800MI on the odometer, I am getting around 26 on the highway and 17 in Chicago traffic. I can get up to around 27 if I am going 65-70. If I end up with these kind of numbers, that is ok with me :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts