SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a thread where I’ll document the things that I do to my flint gray 2006 C70. I bought the car at the end of September, 2019 after looking at them off and on for the last 13 years.

It was advertised as a local 1-owner car with 44k miles, no accidents and all records. I called, met the owner and took a look. She had all of the maintenance records which showed the oil had been changed on time and that the PCV was taken care of under warranty at 30,000 miles in 2013. The car itself has the climate, premium, navigation, bi-xenon and Dynaudio packages. The main negatives were the cheap tires, curbing on the Mirzam’s and a scrape on the bottom of the front bumper cover. The interior looked very good but it was apparent that she took a little dog on rides with her as there was hairs everywhere and some slight scratching on the passenger seat.

Later that week I had a chance to hook up VIDA and only found two stored codes for the seat modules. I also checked that the PCV passed the glove test. Underneath was clean, but it was apparent that the dealer hadn't fully cleaned up after doing the PCV warranty work as it was slightly oily and dusty. I drove it again and bought it.

The first thing I did was pick up a set of Serapis wheels from the classifieds and put on some winter tires on them while I decide what to do with the Mirzam wheels.

It wouldn't be a complete post without a picture. Here's one from last night.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Timing Belt

Since purchasing the car I have changed all of the fluids and the spark plugs. The transmission fluid was still red but no longer translucent. Brake fluid, power steering fluid and coolant look like they may have been original as well. The plugs were done out of curiosity - they looked good.

In addition to the fluid I changed the timing belt and tensioners as well as replaced the serpentine belts. This is the first time I’ve done a timing belt on a P1 car. I went in thinking that it was the same as on the XC70. In theory it is but it’s a LOT tighter on the P1’s! I still have some scrapes from that. I skipped the water pump figuring we got almost 200,000 miles on the water pump in our XC70 before I changed it.

If you're interested here’s what the timing belt looked like after 44,500 miles:

Here’s a new one for comparison:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm at 47,400 now.

Changed the oil this past weekend. Pulling the snorkel to get to the filter housing isn't as bad as people make it out to be.

I also installed a new front bumper cover. Shortly after buying the car someone backed into me in a parking lot and creased the bumper cover on the passenger side of the grill. It was less expensive to buy a new one from the dealer than the mid priced quote that I received to have it repaired. Though getting a new cover did require that I do the installation which took a few hours. A nice bonus is that there's no holes for the front license plate frame.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Well done! I'd be tickled to find a '13 with that kind of mileage on it!! Everything I've spotted has about the same miles as ours...~65K...many with much more.

By the bye, I've never seen that color in person...very interesting! Interior is off-black???

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I still have the Mirzam's and am leaning to sending them out to have them refinished. The old tires need to be unmounted first so they can be checked for roundness before I do that and I haven't had time to take them to the tireshop.

My hope was to find a near perfect replacement set in the classifieds but I don't think that's going to happen!

What did you do with the damaged Mirzam wheels?

Car looks great!

·
Registered
195 Posts
I like the look of those 5-spoke wheels...LMK if you ever fix the Mirzams, I might take these off your hands.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
I still have the Mirzam's and am leaning to sending them out to have them refinished. The old tires need to be unmounted first so they can be checked for roundness before I do that and I haven't had time to take them to the tireshop.

My hope was to find a near perfect replacement set in the classifieds but I don't think that's going to happen!
I had to buy a single replacement Mirzam wheel about a year ago, and found good prices on e-bay. For a typical price of $230 a wheel you could either get a new replica wheel (probably made in China), or a refurbished OEM wheel. I opted for a refurbished OEM wheel. My thinking being that most of the time the damage to the refurbished wheel was basically curb rash, rather than something more serious like a dented rim.... After looking for a few days, I saw one e-bay seller offering a "sale" price of under $200, and jumped on it. When the wheel arrived it was perfect, and looked like new. Refinished, as well as refurbished.

Compared to the cost of a new OEM wheel, it was a very good price. Plus, if you return your old wheel, in the prepaid box that the new wheel came in, you get a small check back, minimal if they can't refurbish your old wheel, and a bit bigger if they can.

From memory, the seller I bought from was AutoRimShop. In doing a quick scan of what pops up today on e-bay, I see a replacement wheel for $235 or so, but the price for a refurbished OEM wheel is more like $275. Maybe they are getting scarcer over time.... That said, I also seem to remember that availability and pricing would fluctuate from day to day and week to week, so it would be worthwhile to watch for better deals if you are in no real hurry. (Actually, it looks like AutoRimShop's price is $270, but they have an online coupon for 10% off, so it would be more like $243 a wheel?)

·
Registered
138 Posts
The mirzams on my newly acquired 08 C70 have bad curb rash. I got a quick quote from a local shop to refinish at over $700. I like the look of them but am wondering if I should just get a set if Pegasus replicas from ipd, especially if machine finished. So good to get a sense of what a 5 spoke wheel looks like on it.

Also wondering if I should consider downgrading to 17" if it will improve ride quality. I like in the city so roads are always torn up and pot holes. I mean it's only ~12mm difference. Thoughts?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Also wondering if I should consider downgrading to 17" if it will improve ride quality. I like in the city so roads are always torn up and pot holes. I mean it's only ~12mm difference. Thoughts?
I have my winter tires on the 17's and it's definitely less harsh. That said as soon as spring comes I'll be putting the 18's back on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had to buy a single replacement Mirzam wheel about a year ago, and found good prices on e-bay. For a typical price of $230 a wheel you could either get a new replica wheel (probably made in China), or a refurbished OEM wheel. I opted for a refurbished OEM wheel. My thinking being that most of the time the damage to the refurbished wheel was basically curb rash, rather than something more serious like a dented rim.... After looking for a few days, I saw one e-bay seller offering a "sale" price of under $200, and jumped on it. When the wheel arrived it was perfect, and looked like new. Refinished, as well as refurbished.
Thanks. I think I'll be sending these off to be refurbished. I was quoted $125 plus about $35 shipping for each wheel. Like you I want to avoid the replica wheels if possible. I don't know that they are bad, but figure that for less money having the OEM's refurbished is the way to go.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Mirzam's are back

When I bought the C70 it looked like the PO had parked by feeling the curb. Every wheel was scraped and they looked like crap. In November I sent the wheels to Detroit Wheel and Tire (no affiliation, etc....) for repair and refinishing. Yesterday afternoon UPS showed up with my newly powdercoated Mirzam's.

Here's how they turned out.

Front

Backside

Here's what one of the wheels looked like when I sent them in.

I also turned over 50,000 miles last night.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I've been using a set of Mirzams for my winter tire setup for about 8 winters and decided to have them redone last summer. I went with the black center cap just to distinguish them from my gray Midirs. Always liked these wheels, and tempted to use them to replace my Midirs in my summer setup. For this winter I put on a set of brand new Blizzaks; we'll see what I decide next April.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went with the black center cap just to distinguish them from my gray Midirs.

I like the black center caps.

I like the Midir wheels, do you have a picture of them on your car? Though the Mirzam’s look like they were meant for the pre-facelift C70’s.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Every time I switch between the two (December and April), I'm happy with the change! I really do like both looks.
Here's a pic with the Midirs:

·
Registered
138 Posts
I went with ipd 17" machine finished pegs on Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 Plus 235/45s. The pegs have an anthracite background color. I had to go with some tuner lugs at discount tire because the ones I ordered didn't come in on time. Pleased especially for about $1700 all in.

I just switched the center caps to old school black Volvo and I'm going to try black chrome lugs (neither installed in attached photo). I put on red valve stem caps but might change those to black too.

Very pleased with the ride quality downgrading to the 17s. She's handling the ubiquitous pot holes and metal plates way better than 18s. It's a looks trade off but I'm happy with the compromise.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Pegs look great on everything. I was considering throwing those on and see how well the car feels compared to the mirzams with Michelin’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
138 Posts
I didn't ride the Mirzams very long and the tires were not matched front/back so not sure of quality on those but the ride was absolutely harsher. I have hit some decent potholes on these 17s at a good clip and fortunately not slammed the suspension all the way. I am trying to remember to drive it more carefully than my Jeep Grand Cherokee which will plow through just about any road holes like a tank (4x4 w/air suspension). I had to baby my S60R through city roads even on comfort mode. It was one of the reasons I bought a SUV 9 years ago.

That said, I love the look of the Midirs. I wish they came in 17s.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
52,000 miles and a bent wheel.

Crossed 52,000 miles yesterday. I've driven the car almost 8,000 miles since late September. My commute is a little less than 60 miles a day.

I was hoping to put the Mirzam's back on today, but one of them is bent! I had shipped them off to be refinished and repaired and when they were shipped back to me they looked great. I dropped the wheels off to have new tires put on and when I went to pick them up they showed me that there was a slight hop and a wobble in the wheel. The place that refinished them said they would take care of it for me. I guess it's another 2 weeks (at least) on the winter tires for me.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I went with ipd 17" machine finished pegs on Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 Plus 235/45s. The pegs have an anthracite background color. I had to go with some tuner lugs at discount tire because the ones I ordered didn't come in on time. Pleased especially for about $1700 all in.

I just switched the center caps to old school black Volvo and I'm going to try black chrome lugs (neither installed in attached photo). I put on red valve stem caps but might change those to black too.

Very pleased with the ride quality downgrading to the 17s. She's handling the ubiquitous pot holes and metal plates way better than 18s. It's a looks trade off but I'm happy with the compromise.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I'm picking up an '07 C70 with 70k miles on it this weekend. The wheels are just about the only thing not in great shape so I have been looking at the IPD 18 pegs (has stock 18s presently), but this is definitely making me think I might want to consider the 17s. It really looks good!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts