SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you saw this in the V70/XC70 forum, I apologize. Just that over there seems like no one has had this problem. I hope someone over here can help, but see below:

I would like to take the car on a freeway road trip this wknd, and I read a few years ago about someone who was racing his S60 and had his sunroof glass fly off and shatter on the course.
The gist of my problem is that the 2 metal clips that reside on each rail just inboard of the accordions have both broken loose. I have them loose since if they remain in the track/rail area they move around and keep the sunroof from sliding. From what I have been able to deduce (correctly or not) is that they appear to lock the glass down to the body when the glass is closed, so without them, I fear that the low pressure over the roof of the car at speed could cause the glass to get pulled up and go flying off the car. I can find no way to secure them back on the rails and with the accordions in place it is really hard to verify the job they do, but I can tell you that with the glass closed, pushing up on the glass I can feel it give some and I can get to rattle in place.
Has anyone in the community (yet) to experience this and solve the problem or hear of it at all? The local indy doesn't have a fix for me either.

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
Not entirely similar I am experiencing am issue with mine. It began after I installed a wind deflector to my load bars. I think it causes a vortex of air over the roof and while driving I can literally feel the glass flexing when I put my hand on it while closed. While open I can really see it flexing, all while at highway speeds. Obviously a solution is to not have the bars installed when not using them. I'm not sure where to begin checking to ensure everything is tight. This also seems like a bad design, but then again it's technically aftermarket even though the deflector is Thule brand made specifically for their square bars which is what the OEM Volvo load bars are...

Sent from my Huawei Mate 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm not entirely sure what metal clips you are referring to. Do you mean the three clip looking things behind the accordion? What it sounds like is that you need to tighten down your four torx bolts that hold the sunroof in place. Make sure you have it at the right height before tightening, or it'll sit a bit low in the roof and look ugly!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts