SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I finally was able to have the trans software downgraded and so far it seems to have worked! It's only been five days but the 2-1 rough downshift has not occurred since the software was changed. They charged me the hourly rate and some sort of software fee so the total was around $190 which is insanely better than the initial $7500 replacement cost. What I want to know is why the Volvo dealer mechanic did not research this himself? Are these tech journals hard to research? The funny thing is I also had a similar experience with a Nissan Pathfinder. The CEL came on and when the dealer mechanic checked it he said that it needed a new catalytic converter for $2500. I googled the codes and one of the first results was a post from a Nissan board saying that there was a software update/TSB that would fix this CEL. The very young female service writer halfheartedly apologized for overlooking the TSB. I ended up selling it shortly thereafter and swore off Nissan for life. I like the XC60 too much to write off volvo but it is disappointing.

Thanks again to CAB for posting the full TJ! :partywave:

Sorry about bumping an old thread but I have a 2013 XC60 T6 with 62K miles and it just started having the exact same issue described in this thread. I did take it to the dealer and after the mechanic drove it he said the trans needs to be replaced. He did not do any diagnostics or anything like that. He just said that it is down shifting hard which is a sign of an internal issue with the trans. If it was happening at different speeds then I might agree with him but it only happens when coasting or braking at low speed which seems to be the issue other posters in this thread experienced. I saw this thread after I left the dealership so I will have to make another appointment. I have a couple of questions. Will having the original software applied cause it have other issues? How do I know which vehicle type I have (as listed in the TSB):

SP 31456524 should be used for vehicle type
SP 31456542 should be used for vehicle type

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Bumping this thread yet again. I have a 2011 T6 Polestar enhanced S60 and i had a failed transmission replaced with a new one under warranty just over a year ago, along with whatever the latest software was. My new transmission has always felt slushier albeit smoother than the original one in most normal driving which might be a plus for creating a sense of refinement but it has also made the car feel slower at full throttle, and the shifts feel much less crisp, quick and sporting, presumably as a biproduct of software intended to smooth shifting traits. It is also more reluctant/ slower to kick down at higher speeds, presumably going along with updated attempts to eke out better fuel economy vis a vis different shift strategies, as seems to be pretty common throughout the auto industry. In any case it feels less sporty and not as quick as it once did. It also has the annoying 2-1 kick when decelerating to a stop under certain situations, which it did not do prior to the trans swap and software updates. Have others experienced these performance related experiences related to the updates (slower smoother shifts, less crisp-feeling throttle response, etc.)? Has reverting back to older trans software improved performance beyond getting rid of the annoying 2-1 clunk?

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Bumping this thread yet again. I have a 2011 T6 Polestar enhanced S60 and i had a failed transmission replaced with a new one under warranty just over a year ago, along with whatever the latest software was. My new transmission has always felt slushier albeit smoother than the original one in most normal driving which might be a plus for creating a sense of refinement but it has also made the car feel slower at full throttle, and the shifts feel much less crisp, quick and sporting, presumably as a biproduct of software intended to smooth shifting traits. It is also more reluctant/ slower to kick down at higher speeds, presumably going along with updated attempts to eke out better fuel economy vis a vis different shift strategies, as seems to be pretty common throughout the auto industry. In any case it feels less sporty and not as quick as it once did. It also has the annoying 2-1 kick when decelerating to a stop under certain situations, which it did not do prior to the trans swap and software updates. Have others experienced these performance related experiences related to the updates (slower smoother shifts, less crisp-feeling throttle response, etc.)? Has reverting back to older trans software improved performance beyond getting rid of the annoying 2-1 clunk?
Even with your TDI box and polestar you feel this? Maybe get yoour mounts replaced and add the powerflex poly inserts to the torque rod and the lower(under the engine) mount. Mounts do make a huge difference to shifts when they are replaced! Does your car have the software update above?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
odiespankers: I think torque mounts sound like a good idea. I have a V8 (physically heavier but same torque) and I replaced my lower torque rod at around 80k miles (130k km) and it made a big difference. What's a TDI box though? Never heard of and I don't see bunnspeed mentioning it in his post.

Bunnspeed: I would start by trying to reset the adaption in the transmission first, that seems like a more likely culprit of poor shift quality than software. Software are likely restricted by model year (e.g 2014 T6s were quicker to 100 km/h for some reason than 2013, which I highly suspect is due to TCM software since the rest of the hardware is exact same).

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just a quick update. We just had this TJ applied to my wife's 2012 XC60 T6 RD yesterday. While I only drove it to dinner and back this evening (less than 10 miles round trip), my early assessment is that it seems to have resolved the problem introduced by Volvo with their previous software flash. I probably need to drive it a bit more, but so far so good. That previous flash was crap which is why Volvo even offered this "reversion". Oh, and we were out of warranty and given my history of transmission complaints on this EXACT issue, they comped me (note: I did ask them to have VCNA cover it).
May be resurrecting an ancient topic here but as a new '12 XC60 T6 owner I figured I'd ask if you folks were all able to confirm a software update is what was needed? I have no issues with shifting currently except when cruising to a slow speed or stop. The 2nd->1st shift can be downright scary at times, definitely not an acceptable driving quirk. I drive through a lot of traffic so I feel this constantly. Could I have caused a software change without my knowledge by plugging in a ebay dice unit?

·
Registered
837 Posts
May be resurrecting an ancient topic here but as a new '12 XC60 T6 owner I figured I'd ask if you folks were all able to confirm a software update is what was needed? I have no issues with shifting currently except when cruising to a slow speed or stop. The 2nd->1st shift can be downright scary at times, definitely not an acceptable driving quirk. I drive through a lot of traffic so I feel this constantly. Could I have caused a software change without my knowledge by plugging in a ebay dice unit?
this update (which was actually to REVERT the software to a previous version) - definitely did the trick for us.

·
Registered
34 Posts
this update (which was actually to REVERT the software to a previous version) - definitely did the trick for us.
Thank you. As I've driven now a few hundred miles the shifting seems to not be quite as harsh. If it continues to be an issue I will reach out to a Volvo shop for a software update.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I'm a new 2012 XC70 T6 owner, and I also have this jerk/lurch when I don't come to a stop for more than two seconds. (I'm a New Yorker, so my one second is every one else's two seconds!). It's more pronounced on inclines. Did you find this software reversion helped, and did it have any negative effects elsewhere in the driving experience?

Thank you in advance!
Mike

·
Registered
187 Posts
I found a fluid flush at 60k miles or 100k km helped smooth shifts immensely. The dealership provides the service.

I also avoid manual shifting or shifting to neutral during red lights to help smooth the shifts out.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Here's another fact taken from another member here...
You need to perform an adaptation of the gearbox. The gearbox unit has different values (nm) for each of the 5 Temperature ranges of the gearbox oil. Depending of the oil temperature the box uses less or more NM for the shifts between N to D. Erase the old values with VIDA and do a fresh adaptation. I recommend at least 5 shift adaptations in each temperature range for best results. Once you start VIDA just read all the instructions on the adaptation and follow them. They are describing the process for dummies.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts