SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. New here. We bought a Cert Pre Owned 2011 Xc60 T6. The transmission seems to be very jerky when shifting. It also seems to go through a hard downshift when coasting down to about 25MPH.

We just replaced a 2000 Saab 95 4cyl Turbo that you never felt shift. But this car, you can feel so many of the shifts. It just seems jerky to me.

Took it in to the dealers (I've had it a month, it has 60K miles on it). They did the software update you read about here, but I find it seems even worse.

Curious about a few things.

1. Is this just the nature of this engine? First Volvo we've owned.
2. Any change it actually will "learn" our driving style and smooth out?
3. Do you think we're doing damage by just driving it for a while?

The mechanic said he'd fixed it and didn't detect the issue but I feel it worse than ever.

Can anyone offer any advice or opinions?

I've read more than one review that calls the auto transmission "Jerky" so perhaps that is just the nature of this car.

Any input would be appreciated. I'm ready to drive back to the dealer and hop in a new xc60 just to compare.

Thank you!

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Test drive another XC60 or really any AWD T6 Volvo as it's the same drivetrain.

My guess is it's normal but just very different than your old Saab.

The 6 speed auto transmission on the Volvos will lock the torque converter very aggressively in 2nd through 6th gears and that is probably the cause as I'm sure a 2000 Saab would not do that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi. Thanks, I bought it as a CPO from the dealer so the tranz fluid has been changed. Still seems overly jerky. Warpedcow, can you go into some detail on what you mean that this car will "lock the torque converter very aggressively"?

Thanks again!
David

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Hi. Thanks, I bought it as a CPO from the dealer so the tranz fluid has been changed. Still seems overly jerky. Warpedcow, can you go into some detail on what you mean that this car will "lock the torque converter very aggressively"?

Thanks again!
David
Dealers normally would not change the transmission fluid because there is no service interval for it (unless you're doing lots of towing).

What I mean is that when you're driving around in any gear besides 1st, the odds of the torque converter being completely locked are very high, like 99.9%. There are very few acceleration scenarios where it will stay unlocked for more than that brief instant during a shift.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I had exactly the same issue on my 2013 XC60. When i took it in for the first scheduled service (Sept 2013) I was told that TCM software was updated. it is still jerky, but not nearly as bad. When I mentioned that it wasn't completely fixed at the 2nd service (Sept 2014), I was told that TCM has the latest version of software available.

Perhaps you can check with your dealer if updates are available for your car. Even if the car was CPO, perhaps they "forgot" to update software?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I had the same problem with my '12. After update it also felt worse for about a month, but after driving a bit more aggressive (only a week or so) and switching to premium, the trans. no longer "hunts" for gears and very rarely "bangs" when coming to a stop. I know many people don't think the gas makes a difference, as did I, but now I can tell immediately if regular is in the tank, all the hunting and hesitation return and power is down.
P.s. this was after 2nd "update" of software.... I figured if I'm training the trans it may need guidance i.e. aggressive throttle.

Good luck
Good luck, and

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
All of our Volvo's have had this type of shifting behavior. It’s the one thing that I don't like about Volvos. Not sure if other cars behave the same way, I suspect they might. It is particularly bad when you are coasting to a red light, the light changes and you accelerate with a fairly aggressive thunk as the transmission engages. No amount of software upgrades/updates have ever fixed this problem when we pointed it out to the dealer. We have learned to live with it.

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
It is particularly bad when you are coasting to a red light, the light changes and you accelerate with a fairly aggressive thunk as the transmission engages. No amount of software upgrades/updates have ever fixed this problem when we pointed it out to the dealer. We have learned to live with it.
I'm pretty sure this is "normal" in the situation where right as the car decides to make that final shift from 2nd to 1st gear as you slow, you decide to hammer the gas, so you get that jerk in the drivetrain when you take off. If this happens often you are just really unlucky with how you hit traffic lights... you could try to either keep coasting a bit faster, or just come to a complete stop, or just be really gentle going back on the throttle at that certain speed (probably 5MPH or so?)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
yeah, i've just attributed it to Volvo's tune with the turbo. Its like the engineers really figure out a wonderful 45-75MPH program, and then sacrificed time for smoothness at stop lol. The weirdest part, is that it's not even aggressive. It's not like if you mash the accelerator you're experiencing an aggressive shift pattern from a dig. It's just really rough (IMO)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Volvo uses Aisin transmissions, formerly Aisin-Warner. Toyota bought 52% of Aisin from Borg-Warner, so sometimes these transmissions are called Toyota transmissions. While not bullet-proof, these are good transmissions.

My 1994 850 starting doing occasional hard shifts during hard accelerations after the odometer passed 100,000 miles. We drove it to 238,000 miles, and the transmission never failed.

My daughter's 2002 V70 started doing some hard shifts after about 120,000 miles, especially during kick downs, but the car lasted to 170,000 miles without a failure.

Your shift adaptives may need time to reset after your transmission work.

·
Registered
1 Posts
All of our Volvo's have had this type of shifting behavior. It’s the one thing that I don't like about Volvos. Not sure if other cars behave the same way, I suspect they might. It is particularly bad when you are coasting to a red light, the light changes and you accelerate with a fairly aggressive thunk as the transmission engages. No amount of software upgrades/updates have ever fixed this problem when we pointed it out to the dealer. We have learned to live with it.
Unhappy, as a new owner of a used 2013 XC60, to hear this problem is not quite fixable. I can't get over the little jerk as coasting to a stop. I drive in silence a lot and even hear the dash plastic creak as it happens. Now, I simply wait for it to happen and irritate me instead of learning to ignore it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm having similar issues with my 18K mile 2014 XC60. It's done it since new and I've had it to the dealer 8 times already. The primary issue I'm having is that it has delayed engagement and slam shifts into gear after coming to a complete stop or when accelerating after coasting in stop and go traffic. The engagement is so hard that you can hear a ping in the back when the torque hits the haldex. After 3 pings, I'm now very careful to accelerate at very low throttle input until I feel the transaxle engage 1st, after that I can take off much more smoothly. I've been driving the car this way for about the last 12k miles to prevent other damage to the drivetrain that will likely make it beyond Volvo's coverage before failing (IE the Haldex, Angle Gear, U Joins, etc). None of the 5 courtesy cars I've had exhibited this behaviour so I really believe that there is an issue with the transmission itself since 2 adaptations, new TCM software, re-upload of the CEM software, and most recently, replacement of the CEM haven't had any effect on the low speed hard/delayed engagement issues. I have another appointment with the dealer in a couple weeks and I plan to call Volvo in the interim to go over everything thats been done and see what they plan to do. I'm really starting to think that I got a lemon.

·
Registered
1 Posts
No luck from Volvo Canada

I have another appointment with the dealer in a couple weeks and I plan to call Volvo in the interim to go over everything thats been done and see what they plan to do. I'm really starting to think that I got a lemon.
We have a 2013 XC60 and have experienced the same issues with the shifting, but only when changing from approaching a stop to acceleration, the car clunks into gear. The dealer has updated the software three times and we even insisted that a senior technician from head office come and drive the vehicle. The result was, yes he could detect the clunking, but this is a "trait" of the T6 and Volvo does not have a fix.

When we raised this in an email to the president of Volvo Canada, we were contacted by a customer service manager and were told that there is nothing technically wrong with the vehicle and that our concerns have been sent to Sweden, but as there is no technical fault, it is not a priority so she had no idea whether anything would actually be done about it. Not exactly the kind of response one expects from a luxury auto maker. We did get a letter stating that they would fix the transmission under warranty even after the 4 year warranty period has ended, so I would try to get some kind of guarantee that they will continue to fix the issue at their cost, not yours.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My S80 also has the same weird jerky shifts mentioned here and elsewhere. Seems to be the norm so never brought it up with the dealer (CPO car). Makes the transmission seem fragile and the behavior doesn't fit the the luxury car image. Was always hesitant to get a European car because of reliability concerns. How ironic the the Japanese made transmission is my main concern. I'm just slowly getting used to it and living with it.

It's used in so many different cars though that hopefully the weird shifts don't mean future failure.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AWTF-80_SC

·
Registered
220 Posts
Those of you with the "acceleration from a near stop" issue - what is your driving environment like? I'm curious to see if it's city driving, traffic, etc.

I have not experienced this on our 2014 T6 (two months of ownership). The transmission doesn't seem to downshift to 1st gear until you're pretty much stopped. It will normally stay in 2nd even when a generous amount of throttle is applied. We drive in NYC metro area, but not in the worst traffic out there, so while there is stop and go, it's usually coasting to a stop sign/light rather than sitting in bumper to bumper traffic.

·
Registered
229 Posts
My 2013 T6 has the same exact shifting issue, the dealer always comes back with the same spiel, that a "software update" should take care of it! It looks like there is no fix, be cautious with your foot from going from 1st to 2nd or vice versa, sounds dumb, that's the best I can come up with.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have noticed a hard shift when going from a near stop (coasting) to ~35mph, especially uphill. It is mildly annoying, but not worrying. I don't know if MY2016 T6 has the same issue and I am less sensitive to it, or if P* tune or newer MY's refined the performance. I changed my driving to be slower with the accelerator at takeoff and it doesn't happen as much. I can't prove it, but I feel like I can take off aggressively from coasting in Sport mode without causing a hard shift.

Would the a 2013 S60 T6 AWD have the same transmission? I had a loaner last week and it felt the same as my car. Maybe this particular engine/transmission combo is just not smooth compared to other vehicles with 5- or 6-speeds.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The 2016 T6 has na 8 speed transmission I think.
MY2016 has both. 4-cylinder T6 Drive-e has an 8 speed, but 6-cylinder T6 still has the 6 speed.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts