SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just curious if this is normal for these cars before I bring it to my dealers attention. When the car turns off at stop lights,etc it’s fine. When it starts back up when I let off the brake it jerks forward. I know other car brands don’t do this so I just wanted to check. It’s a 2017 S90 T5 btw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a 2018 V90CC and is very smooth.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
653 Posts
i know p3 does that but SPA should not do something like this . You feel a little bit but not jump might be trans jumping that usually solved by soft update.

·
Registered
58 Posts
mine, no jump either....but it isn't seamless like my my Mercedes.....it isn't smooth put it that way. I drove a 2019 Ford Transit awhile back and it was excellent...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. I’ll ask my dealer about it and see what they say. Ford does have the system down because the f150s are super smooth.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Do you have the brake assist on? It's possible that the delay between start up and the need to press on the gas to release the brake hold is causing it to feel like its "jumping" a bit.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Do you have the brake assist on? It's possible that the delay between start up and the need to press on the gas to release the brake hold is causing it to feel like its "jumping" a bit.
Brake assist as in the auto brake? If so that is off.

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Brake assist as in the auto brake? If so that is off.

Yep, that's what I meant. If it's off, I'm not sure why yours is being jerky, hopefully they can get it sorted out for you. If you didn't buy it from a Volvo dealer, it might not have been updated lately.. being older I know it seems to be one of those things that keeps improving. They'll probably prescribe a software update for it to see if that helps.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My T5 has a bit of a "jerk" as well. It is not very smooth. I have stopped using auto start/stop because of it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My T5 has a bit of a "jerk" as well. It is not very smooth. I have stopped using auto start/stop because of it.
Were you able to get it permanently turned off or do you just switch it off every time?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, that's what I meant. If it's off, I'm not sure why yours is being jerky, hopefully they can get it sorted out for you. If you didn't buy it from a Volvo dealer, it might not have been updated lately.. being older I know it seems to be one of those things that keeps improving. They'll probably prescribe a software update for it to see if that helps.
Sorry missed this, but I bought it from a new Volvo dealership and boy I have had some issues lol. Car has been back there several times. A lot of times they diagnose the wrong part causing issue and then I have to go back. I’m going to mention it to them and see where it goes.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've been driving a 2020 S60 T5 for the past few days and the start/stop system is noticeably smoother in this car than my 2017 T6. Even smoother when the engine shuts down early in Eco mode (in the last 2-3 decreasing mph), mine shuts down and brakes on me even when I have disabled the auto brake. One can immediately tell that Volvo has refined the system, good for them...it might not be only a software update though. :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've been driving a 2020 S60 T5 for the past few days and the start/stop system is noticeably smoother in this car than my 2017 T6. Even smoother when the engine shuts down early in Eco mode (in the last 2-3 decreasing mph), mine shuts down and brakes on me even when I have disabled the auto brake. One can immediately tell that Volvo has refined the system, good for them...it might not be only a software update though. :(
Well at least they have improved. Hopefully there is something they can adjust to make it better.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Were you able to get it permanently turned off or do you just switch it off every time?

Unfortunately our model years don't have a way to permanently disable it. So I turn it off each time.

·
Registered
76 Posts
When I first got my car (2019 V90 CC), I disabled the auto-start because it was way too over-active. Eg: In stop and go, it would shut down when I was creeping along - sometimes stopping the engine just before the car fully stopped which would jerk the car. In these cases, if traffic started to move again (before a full-stop) - the car would jerk again when the auto-start kicked in (likely not good for the starter because the starter was engaging while the car still had a little momentum). It also used to drive me crazy how the engine would stop at a stop sign (where you're only motionless for a few seconds). There's a break-even point where the extra fuel used to start the car is less than the fuel consumed if the car didn't stop. This is something like 6-7 seconds. Any stop shorter and you're actually burning more fuel vs disabling the feature.

I found that after one of the last software updates - the auto-start was much improved. Now, my car will keep running if I'm feathering the brake even at a full stop. If I want the car to stop (eg: at a red light) - just fully depress the brake pedal. It's still not perfect, nor as smooth as I'd like - but improved to the point where I've turned it back on.

·
Registered
653 Posts
When I first got my car (2019 V90 CC), I disabled the auto-start because it was way too over-active. Eg: In stop and go, it would shut down when I was creeping along - sometimes stopping the engine just before the car fully stopped which would jerk the car. In these cases, if traffic started to move again (before a full-stop) - the car would jerk again when the auto-start kicked in (likely not good for the starter because the starter was engaging while the car still had a little momentum). It also used to drive me crazy how the engine would stop at a stop sign (where you're only motionless for a few seconds). There's a break-even point where the extra fuel used to start the car is less than the fuel consumed if the car didn't stop. This is something like 6-7 seconds. Any stop shorter and you're actually burning more fuel vs disabling the feature.

I found that after one of the last software updates - the auto-start was much improved. Now, my car will keep running if I'm feathering the brake even at a full stop. If I want the car to stop (eg: at a red light) - just fully depress the brake pedal. It's still not perfect, nor as smooth as I'd like - but improved to the point where I've turned it back on.
Well you lucky one since you can perm disable the option unlike 2016-2018 SPA cars:(

·
Registered
76 Posts
Well you lucky one since you can perm disable the option unlike 2016-2018 SPA cars:(
Can the 2016-2018 be updated with at least the new stop/start logic? As I mentioned, it's improved enough that I leave it on for most of the time now. It was in one of the last couple updates.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts