SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1461 - 1480 of 1525 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Love the photos of your road trip. I live about 1.5 hours east of the parkway in NC. It sure is nice having that road in my state.

I removed those wheel arch “clear” pieces on my car when I bought it. They were black from wear. I used one of those eraser wheels you put on a drill. Heated it up and came off in gobs.It worked really well though. I haven’t replaced them.

·
Registered
18,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,463 ·

·
Registered
18,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,464 ·
ugh here we go.......rack #3 for this car coming up. Gotta have it done by next week though so no more procrastinating allowed.

Got it jacked up this evening....which is an annoyingly large accomplishment working in this space.
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
ugghh rack #3 ?????? how many miles driven during that time ? What brand and source are you getting the replacement from ?

·
Registered
19,259 Posts
ugghh rack #3 ?????? how many miles driven during that time ? What brand and source are you getting the replacement from ?
TRW from fcp. We did it last may and it was leaking not quite a year later.

·
Registered
18,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,467 ·
low mile original Volvo rack going in this time. I've done about 10k miles with the TRW rack.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
There are stories all over the internet from peanut butter oil to heat guns...

My preferred method is to apply Gtechniq C4 once a year on my wife's car which sits outside and every 2 years on the 850 which is garaged
I've been wanting to try this new product from AMMO NYC:

·
Registered
679 Posts

My preferred method is to apply Gtechniq C4 once a year on my wife's car which sits outside and every 2 years on the 850 which is garaged
+1 This or CarPro DLux is another good one.

Folks should stop painting and making these trims way uglier than they need to be.

Proper cleaning and good products will bring back even the most sun damaged trims back to life.

Also remember, the trim was never black in color to begin with. So keep that in mind.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I've mentioned it before but the salesman at the dealer where we got the 02 used PAM (yeah, the cooking spray). The look on my face must have been priceless. My wife grabbed my arm and pulled me away. I guess it looked like I was gonna lose it, but the salesman was so proud. That crap ruined a decent wash mitt that I now use for things like dirty ass wheels and other things than painted surfaces. It took me WEEKS to remove it all.

Reactions: parsnip

·
Registered
650 Posts
Folks should stop painting and making these trims way uglier than they need to be.
First thing I did on my car was replace the plasti-dipped trim with a nice factory set. I keep seeing 850s in the non affiliated thread with color-matched painted trim too :unsure: someone tell these people about the 1998-2000 cars, save the 850 trim! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
18,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,474 ·

+1 This or CarPro DLux is another good one.

Proper cleaning and good products will bring even the most sun damaged trims back to life.

Also remember, the trim was never black in color to begin with. So keep that in mind.
I've also been hearing good things about the Gtechniq stuff and was planning to give it a try. I've been collecting good condition trim as I find it for future experiments with treatments.

Last time around I used Detail King Trim Kote......uh yeah not doing that again. I had to mix black and grey to get close to the correct shade of grey. And what a nightmare to work with. Of all things, a magic eraser was the best thing I tried using as an applicator. Drawbacks aside, it's actually held up quite well. I did both 850s almost 6 years ago and all of it still looks mostly ok except I had to redo the bumpers on my 850R because I initially applied when it was too cold outside.

·
Registered
18,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,475 ·
TRW reman rack out. Both boots had ATF in them. ATF coming out of the seal at the base of the input shaft. Not good.
Light Green Automotive tire Electrical wiring Garden hose

Low mile original Volvo/SMI rack going in. This rack came out of a car we harvested the engine from a few months ago (watch this subforum for updates on that project in the coming months) and I forgot that we had cut the inner tie rods to expedite removal in the JY....so I'm stuck until my new inners get here hopefully tomorrow.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
16,158 Posts
You've done a few of these racks. Is it doable by a shade tree guy like myself or should I take it to a shop?

Been procrastinating on this for a couple years now...

·
Registered
18,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,477 ·
You've done a few of these racks. Is it doable by a shade tree guy like myself or should I take it to a shop?

Been procrastinating on this for a couple years now...
This is actually the first one I've done that hasn't been associated with an engine-out service. So far, much easier than anticipated doing it in the car. However, this is on a car that has been apart recently so everything is coming apart nicely. On an all-original car that's seen salt, the power steering lines can become quite an adventure.

The biggest challenge may be finding an acceptable rack to put in your car.

·
Registered
18,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,478 ·
Tie rods came in today.

Wood Gas Engineering Auto part Cylinder

I was unable to find anywhere other than the teeth to use as a counterhold on the SMI rack, and all the instructions I could find in VIDA were for TRW racks. So....yeah, don't love this but that's how it happened.
Wood Floor Tool Flooring Gas

Tire Wheel Road surface Automotive tire Tread

And back in the car.

Automotive tire Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas

Fresh genuine Volvo o-rings.
Automotive tire Rim Gas Auto part Automotive wheel system

Had a glove crisis. Not sure how this happens.
Safety glove Gesture Grey Glove Wrist

Alignment.
Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle Wheel

I think I might try this outside tomorrow and see if the neighbors think I'm crazy.
Font Writing Paper Rectangle Paper product

·
Registered
18,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,479 ·
I bled the system as described. In the sentence on the next page, the first word of which you can see at the end of this page, it says to "move the car after 10 times to prevent damage to the tires."

What I had not anticipated is that I would damage my driveway after 10 times LOL

Black Road surface Automotive tire Asphalt Grey

New rack feels fine and doesn't seem to be puking fluid. I have a strange noise that sounds like something is rubbing on rotation over about 30 mph so I'll have to see if I can figure that out when I have time. Seems to be something under the car as I can only hear it with the windows closed.

·
Registered
18,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,480 ·
Got some external upgrades coming soon:

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Car

Also hit 313k.

Land vehicle Vehicle Speedometer Car Odometer

1461 - 1480 of 1525 Posts