SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1238 Posts

·
Registered
16,103 Posts
What alternatives are you looking at when the A/S 3 becomes unavailable? TireRack has them on clearance now.

I'm guessing the traction isn't that good on the DWS 06 if the AWD guys love them? I think the P7 A/S+ has some issues there, too. The Tesla guys with the P85/P85D complain that they break loose too easily on launch, but I'm not sure how relavant that is given that we have a bit less torque at launch (the Lexus guys didn't have a problem).
When the really good A/S 3's are fully retired, I would probably move to Pilot Super Sports as summers and just put the snows on earlier.

DWS is an all season biased towards snow....initially. And this whole breaking loose thing is pointless. I could spin the tires on the S70. Usually chirped them on stop lines too. Too much torque. Where you dont want to be having that issue is at the top of second gear. Drive a T5 that can spin (sh*t) tires in 3rd and 4th and youll be spooked. Continentals are just vague on the edge. Bridgestones too. Horribly so.

Forget this "all season" crap. There are high performance tires for dry, dry and wet, performance for dry wet and colder and then tires for driving on snow. Studs for ice. Thats it. Have two sets, or two cars. Ive been up to my neck in awd alligators this week. On cars I dont even own (parts car doesnt count), just am involved with. 3 hours to harvest an angle gear so an emerald R can run DWS in the winter? I could make the money to buy snow tires in 3 hours and drive circles around the R in my T5. In fact, that test will most certainly happen this year.

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
When the really good A/S 3's are fully retired, I would probably move to Pilot Super Sports as summers and just put the snows on earlier.

DWS is an all season biased towards snow....initially. And this whole breaking loose thing is pointless. I could spin the tires on the S70. Usually chirped them on stop lines too. Too much torque. Where you dont want to be having that issue is at the top of second gear. Drive a T5 that can spin (sh*t) tires in 3rd and 4th and youll be spooked. Continentals are just vague on the edge. Bridgestones too. Horribly so.

Forget this "all season" crap. There are high performance tires for dry, dry and wet, performance for dry wet and colder and then tires for driving on snow. Studs for ice. Thats it. Have two sets, or two cars. Ive been up to my neck in awd alligators this week. On cars I dont even own (parts car doesnt count), just am involved with. 3 hours to harvest an angle gear so an emerald R can run DWS in the winter? I could make the money to buy snow tires in 3 hours and drive circles around the R in my T5. In fact, that test will most certainly happen this year.
Yeah, I agree 100% with that. I'm sure we could spin the wheels in our NAs if we tried. There are so many people that drive around Boston on studded tires all winter for absolutely no good reason and then everyone wonders why the roads suck. The '99 V70 is the only car that goes out if it is snowing so snow performance does not concern me for the T-5R.

·
Registered
16,103 Posts
Yeah, I agree 100% with that. I'm sure we could spin the wheels in our NAs if we tried. There are so many people that drive around Boston on studded tires all winter for absolutely no good reason and then everyone wonders why the roads suck. The '99 V70 is the only car that goes out if it is snowing so snow performance does not concern me for the T-5R.
Pilot super sports are pretty cheap in 17". Just don't leave it sitting on them they're very soft from having so much natural rubber

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Pilot super sports are pretty cheap in 17". Just don't leave it sitting on them they're very soft from having so much natural rubber
That sounds like it might be annoying on a car that might be sitting a lot in the winter.

·
Registered
16,103 Posts

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

·
Registered
12,445 Posts
The P* comes with the PSS. They really are pretty much the best summer tire currently. Just a little pricy in 20" size and they probably only last 20k miles (if that) on that car. You gotta pay to play!

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
Sounds like you're easily annoyed...
LOL.....most things don't really get to me but, when you have 5 cars, 9 boats, no garage, and 3,500 square feet of land, storing stuff really does get annoying, probably the most bothersome of which is that my T-5R has to park on the street :eek:. All of my extra Volans are stacked up in our driveway right now because there is nowhere else to put them. The one place they could go is under our porch, but our house was apparently heated with a coal stove before the days of heating with liquid fuel and all the ash got dumped down there, so we have to be careful about how we store metal objects there.

If I got a set of PSSs, I'd probably put them on one of my sets of Volans and use them on the 850R. I have much bigger plans for that car (at least for now, we'll see how much of that build spills over to the T-5R) that would make those tires make more sense there than on the T-5R.

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
I had the P7 A/S+ on my S60 RD (factory tire for that car) and I thought they were great.
How many miles did you do on them and how did you think they handled in the wet? Some of the reviews have disliked them there.

The PZero A/S+ is also tempting me but it is hard to justify the significant losses in fuel economy and comfort given that there is approximately one fun road in/near Boston (which also happens to have a state police station on it....awesome lol). The Michelin Premier A/S is also pushing its way into the options thanks to it's phenomenal performance in the wet (even better than the PZero and competitive with the A/S 3). The A/S 3's ride quality issues pushed it below the PZero for me and I'm also not crazy about buying into a tire that's about to be retired in case I needed a replacement tire for a puncture or something.

But then I look at the charts with the standard touring tires and it's like LOL city but with another mpg or two so maybe I would think the P7s are just fine....

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #51 (Edited)
So this showed up in my mailbox today.....

·
Registered
428 Posts
I searched for a year before i found mine.
Yours looks to be in great shape?
Nice find.

I will have 4 stock titans available soon. But being you're on the east coast it's probably not worth it to ship them?

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #55 (Edited)
I searched for a year before i found mine.
Yours looks to be in great shape?
Nice find.

I will have 4 stock titans available soon. But being you're on the east coast it's probably not worth it to ship them?
It is in very nice shape. It is really amazing what good shape it is in given that it came out of this part out of a rather beat up looking car. I never realized that these were tri-fold until I opened it up this afternoon; always thought they were the same as the 850R pouch but just with a different cover. The total capacity is the same, however, and I have so much original literature that it doesn't all fit in there!

I found a set of Titans that should be on their way here fairly soon but I would be very interested in yours if that weren't the case.

·
Registered
12,445 Posts
How many miles did you do on them and how did you think they handled in the wet? Some of the reviews have disliked them there.

The PZero A/S+ is also tempting me but it is hard to justify the significant losses in fuel economy and comfort given that there is approximately one fun road in/near Boston (which also happens to have a state police station on it....awesome lol). The Michelin Premier A/S is also pushing its way into the options thanks to it's phenomenal performance in the wet (even better than the PZero and competitive with the A/S 3). The A/S 3's ride quality issues pushed it below the PZero for me and I'm also not crazy about buying into a tire that's about to be retired in case I needed a replacement tire for a puncture or something.

But then I look at the charts with the standard touring tires and it's like LOL city but with another mpg or two so maybe I would think the P7s are just fine....
Sorry, just noticed this from a few weeks ago. I had the car for 18 months and around 13k miles and used these tires year round in Northeast Ohio and they were pretty much like new when I traded the car a few months ago. I thought they handled fine in the wet but I am pretty easy on cars and that car had AWD which can make ordinary tires seem pretty decent.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Did I hear that someone maybe mention that they maybe selling some Titan's... Let me if you do.

Also Jared where did you find the manual booklet cooler?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Sorry, just noticed this from a few weeks ago. I had the car for 18 months and around 13k miles and used these tires year round in Northeast Ohio and they were pretty much like new when I traded the car a few months ago. I thought they handled fine in the wet but I am pretty easy on cars and that car had AWD which can make ordinary tires seem pretty decent.
Sounds like we have pretty similar driving styles; I also tend to take it pretty easy most of the time (there are no fun roads around here, so what's the point of pushing it?). I'm pretty convinced at this point that the P7 would be very well suited to the driving I do, but the question I keep coming back to is if I want to trade the fuel economy and comfort of the P7 for the extra performance that the PZero (or similar) would give in a panic situation given how special this car is.

Also Jared where did you find the manual booklet cooler?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Cooler? Did you mean cover? It came from the part out of that black sedan that we were hating on a few weeks back.

But I would totally buy an OEM T-5R cooler if that was a thing........wow that would look so cool in the back seat on road trips.

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #60

You could paint it?
but seriously IT HAS A YELLOW STICKER!

I was actually thinking leather wrapping it with some yellow stitching would look pretty cool but I'm not sure that would be very practical....

41 - 60 of 1238 Posts