SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

701 - 720 of 1238 Posts

·
Registered
16,071 Posts
Swapping out the trans torque mount from poly to stock made no change. I don't always get it going from Park to Reverse though.
Motor mounts make much more of an impact than that little torque dogbone

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #702
Motor mounts make much more of an impact than that little torque dogbone
I guess it's time for a more careful inspection of those then. Certainly would be wonderful if there was some other problem causing this symptom.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I guess it's time for a more careful inspection of those then. Certainly would be wonderful if there was some other problem causing this symptom.
I went down that rabbit hole with my S70 last summer - replaced every original mount with OEM except for the firewall one, and it really didn't do much at all. I've had the occasional clunk into reverse (usually when on an incline) in both my P80s and both of those transmissions feel fine otherwise

What's wrong with the turbo and cat?

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #704 (Edited)
I went down that rabbit hole with my S70 last summer - replaced every mount except for the firewall one, and it really didn't do much at all

What's wrong with the turbo and cat?
This is what's wrong with my turbo. It's eating about quart of oil every 1500 miles. And my dad also said my exhaust smelled like there was a lot of oil in it when he followed me 900 miles home in his T5 SE. So, yeah, that's got to go.

The cat is throwing a permanent DTC....has been for as long as I've had the car. I probably could make the car happy if I played around with the rear O[sub]2[/sub] sensor but just not worth it given I want out of this whole setup. I would like my CEL to be capable of giving me useful information (got sick of looking at it and pulled the bulb), and it would also be nice if my car didn't smell like it is 23 years old. Aside from the environmental issues, it's also kind of not cool when almost all of my friends outside of engineering school are at least as far left as I am and then I'm the one with the fast car that smells like it's killing the planet.....

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #706
Shiiiiiiiiiiiit that's a lot of oil. Definitely a good reason to swap in the 16T!
Yep. It really went bad on the trip to Carlisle; the fresh plugs/wires/rotor combined with ripping around the mountains in PA for an hour really did it in.......I added a quart in New Jersey on the way home and it still wasn't up to the dipstick. There was no oil coming out of the IC piping like that before that trip.

·
Registered
16,071 Posts
Yep. It really went bad on the trip to Carlisle; the fresh plugs/wires/rotor combined with ripping around the mountains in PA for an hour really did it in.......I added a quart in New Jersey on the way home and it still wasn't up to the dipstick. There was no oil coming out of the IC piping like that before that trip.
I swear I didnt do it

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
ScottishBrick in the same area as Jared for a period of time... COINCIDENCE?? I THINK NOT!!

·
Registered
16,071 Posts
ScottishBrick in the same area as Jared for a period of time... COINCIDENCE?? I THINK NOT!!
Maybe Jared killed my turbo at the same time lol. We traded cars for a romp in the mountains.

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #711
Maybe Jared killed my turbo at the same time lol. We traded cars for a romp in the mountains.
Entirely possible lol. Is that when yours started going really wrong, too? That was probably the hardest my car has been driven in the time I've had it; there are no fun roads near me and when I do find some it's usually on a trip to see family which means my mom is in the car.......

·
Registered
16,071 Posts
Entirely possible lol. Is that when yours started going really wrong, too? That was probably the hardest my car has been driven in the time I've had it; there are no fun roads near me and when I do find some it's usually on a trip to see family which means my mom is in the car.......
Na, it's been smoking for a while. But I noticed it really being sloppy when I had my hand in it when the heater core hose blew a month ago.

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #713 (Edited)
Reinstalled my Bernie sticker for going camping with friends in Vermont this weekend :thumbup:. Also washed it after I took this picture. Not sure why I would wash it after taking the picture and before going to rural Vermont but whatever. At least it looks clean right now.

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #714 (Edited)
Drove it in a forest in Vermont while y'all were at Ikea. Gotta love those mud and snow rated PZeros lol. Let's just say I had a lot more fun getting up that slope than the '02 Corolla that was also on this trip.

Damn is this thing slow with 4 people plus camping equipment. Had to go WOT up the mountain to the campsite just to hold 45 mph........but then the Corolla could only manage 25 with an equivalent load lol. Legit thought my car was broken after I picked everybody up until I started thinking about it.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I just learned of the Corolla XRs, do your homework people. This is a corolla with a 6-spd and 2ZZ engine from the lotus elise (spiritual descendent of the 2JZ that was in supras and SC300's). Go watch the smoking tire's video on it. NOW.

Learning about the existence of this car let me know that the world is not such a bad place after all. We just have to find them and nurture them back to health.

Sorry for the Toyota fanboying, back to your regularly scheduled Volvo programming.

Sidenote ~ What exhaust do you have on the T-5R?

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I just learned of the Corolla XRs, do your homework people. This is a corolla with a 6-spd and 2ZZ engine from the lotus elise (spiritual descendent of the 2JZ that was in supras and SC300's). Go watch the smoking tire's video on it. NOW.

Learning about the existence of this car let me know that the world is not such a bad place after all. We just have to find them and nurture them back to health.
Those really have a fantastic engine. I test drove a Matrix XRS when I was looking for a car last fall specifically because I knew it had that engine, plus it's very practical. The engine wants to rev quickly all the time, so much so that I had a tough time getting going in first gear without wheelspin (it was raining). The biggest downside was it felt like I was sitting in a van, and the shifter wasn't too great. Still quite a gem of a car in an otherwise boring segment

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
The fact that you have to rev it past 6,000 to open the second cam profile kind of stinks. But with a limited slip diff that car would be extremely fun.

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #718
Lol.......the Corolla in question here was a trashed out base model one.

There is a TME exhaust on this car. I'm not a fan. I really did think I was starting to get used to it over the last month or so but then I loaded it up with my friends for the camping trip (and then another party last night to eat the leftovers lol) and very quickly rediscovered why I hate it when I was having a hard time hearing what the girls in the back seat were saying half the time.

·
Registered
5,155 Posts
You're probably the only person I know who doesn't like the TME exhaust note. The drone is because of the fact that you have a wagon. Does your car have a center resonator? Are there any exhaust leaks at your catalytic converter area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #720
No I love the note at WOT and it sounds sweet at idle, too.......It's just at cruising on the highway that I hate it, and that is unfortunately where most of my miles happen. I'm not aware of any leaks at the cat or vicinity; I've experienced that sound too and this doesn't sound like that.

I believe this is the system I have

701 - 720 of 1238 Posts