SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1238 Posts

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
I might be about to score a set of absolutely filthy 850R mats locally, so those would be good to play with cleaning techniques on.
Mine are as bad as I've ever seen, and they came out great after a 5:1 Water:Woolite mixture, pressure washing, then scrubbing under water. Lot of manual labor but worth it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I wouldn't mind my yellow stitching being move vibrant, either, but most of the mats I've seen that still have really strong yellow are also still very black. My mats and carpets seem to be equally faded, so it all matches quite nicely. Anything I can bring back in the yellow is bonus at this point.

I might be about to score a set of absolutely filthy 850R mats locally, so those would be good to play with cleaning techniques on.
I would caution you against busting out a pressure washer to clean carpet. If it was the winter mats - OK, but not on these. I would suggest cleaning them by first vacuuming them well to get any dirt out of the fibers - something with a rotating brush will do more than just a shop vac. Then use a carpet cleaner (I use 303 <script id="gpt-impl-0.8884955944162498" src="http://partner.googleadservices.com/gpt/pubads_impl_81.js"></script>Aerospace or Folex). Spray onto the mats, then agitate with a brush. Next use a towel to scrub and soak up the moisture from the cleaner. Final step is to vacuum with a shop vac to remove any residual moisture, and then air dry.

You may not get the yellow stitching to brighten up to it's original shade, but it could improve a little possibly.

Here's an example of the steps I outlined above. I happened to use a brush attachment on my buffer to agitate the carpet, but a stiff upholstery brush can do the trick.

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #23 (Edited)
The V70 decided to break, so we had some fun getting parts. Not sure if it is socially acceptable to do this in a yellow T-5R, but I did it anyway:

Got all of this stuff off of an 850R that is getting scrapped. Most of it is either for the 850R or getting sold (PLEASE GO TO THE PARTS CLASSIFIEDS AND BUY MY STUFF!) but I got a few things that are going to the T-5R:

Like a new sunroof assembly. The original one does not work reliably anymore so I just grabbed the whole thing because it worked great and will figure out a treatment plan later. The headline on the cover panel is in good shape, too, unlike the T-5R's.

Also grabbed a pair of 850R front seats to be reskinned in T-5R style skins eventually and a new glovebox door because the one in here is messed up and the extra one that I got with the car is from a gray interior, not dark gray!

·
Registered
12,445 Posts
Nice find!

Do you think you can re-skin R seats with T5-R skins? Maybe a custom upholsterer can do it but the underlying foam looks different between an R and a T5-R. T5-R foam is the same as any 850 of that year.

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Nice find!

Do you think you can re-skin R seats with T5-R skins? Maybe a custom upholsterer can do it but the underlying foam looks different between an R and a T5-R. T5-R foam is the same as any 850 of that year.
I doubt it. They are in shockingly good shape for 277k miles, too, so I don't even want to try and risk damaging them. The original seats will be stored as-is so that I can put the interior back to original if/when doing a serious amount of miles in this car no longer makes sense at some point in the future. So I guess it looks like I either need to learn how to sew or make some good investments so I can have Elwood do it for me. The skin on the driver's seat out of my old red/tan 850R (which is actually the car the sunroof mechanism is sitting on in case you didn't notice the duct tape and ill fitting sunroof) is absolutely trashed, so I wouldn't feel awful about cutting that up to make patterns if I had to.

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Noticed this today. Anyone else ever had this? Should I be OK once I ditch the Bilsteins? I checked the spring seats right after I noticed this and they spring back to their original position as they should.

YES there are/were mice living in my fire blanket. There are/were mice living in all of our fire blankets, actually. Not really sure what to do about this other than a fire blanket delete.

·
Registered
12,445 Posts
Are you referring to what appear to be stress cracks in the paint?

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #28

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Coming soon:

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
OK Let's talk about tires. One of the primary concerns is not bending the wheels because our roads here are so bad. Good handling would be a nice, but I don't plan on pushing this car all that hard given what it is, so I'm more interested in keeping my wheels round. This car won't be going out in snow so snow traction is not a concern, but it would be nice if it could handle cold weather so I'm leaning towards warm weather leaning all seasons. I could probably be ok with not taking it out on super cold days, though, so any summer tires that are usable down to let's say 20° or 30° might be an option, too.

I know ScottishBrick loves A/S 3s and I am considering them. I'm also considering the Pirelli P7 A/S+ to take some stress off the interior plastics and suspension since they have a reputation for riding so well (and I also like that they're quiet and get good fuel economy), but I'm concerned that the soft sidewall might not be good for the wheels and am having trouble find any really good reviews of their performance, just a lot of Lexus guys who absolutely love them and Telsa guys who seem to either love or had them. Has anyone here tried them? Also looking at the DWS 06, and trying to make sense of all the many different versions of the PZero.

Mmmm... shiny.
Yes, very. They are freshly refinished. These are the ones that GreenS60Guy was selling. Huge thanks to the members here (maronha, ScottishBrick, haines1100) who have made generous offers to help get these wheels to me.

·
Registered
158 Posts
OK Let's talk about tires. One of the primary concerns is not bending the wheels because our roads here are so bad. Good handling would be a nice, but I don't plan on pushing this car all that hard given what it is, so I'm more interested in keeping my wheels round. This car won't be going out in snow so snow traction is not a concern, but it would be nice if it could handle cold weather so I'm leaning towards warm weather leaning all seasons. I could probably be ok with not taking it out on super cold days, though, so any summer tires that are usable down to let's say 20° or 30° might be an option, too.

I know ScottishBrick loves A/S 3s and I am considering them. I'm also considering the Pirelli P7 A/S+ to take some stress off the interior plastics and suspension since they have a reputation for riding so well (and I also like that they're quiet and get good fuel economy), but I'm concerned that the soft sidewall might not be good for the wheels and am having trouble find any really good reviews of their performance, just a lot of Lexus guys who absolutely love them and Telsa guys who seem to either love or had them. Has anyone here tried them? Also looking at the DWS 06, and trying to make sense of all the many different versions of the PZero.

Yes, very. They are freshly refinished. These are the ones that GreenS60Guy was selling. Huge thanks to the members here (maronha, ScottishBrick, haines1100) who have made generous offers to help get these wheels to me.

You haven't mention size == for these "fragile" 17 wheels = the best thing to do is the Upsize route.

Avoid the 205/45's go straight to 215/45's the sidewall increase and width increase protect rim much better.

Other brands have Fuller profile too just on their size.
Conti on front = vs Hancook on rear.

Continental DS for life! 215/45/17

·
Registered
12,445 Posts
I had the P7 A/S+ on my S60 RD (factory tire for that car) and I thought they were great.

My yellow car currently has Kumho Ecsta 4X and they are fine - roads where I live are pretty good and the car is only driven occasionally. Biggest reason I have them is that I only needed to replace two so wanted to match the other tires on the car.

I have had the DWS on my R and they were good too.

You seem to have a lot of sets of wheels to choose from. If your roads are that bad I would probably keep those pristine Titans in storage and use Volans or Pegs for normal duty.

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The T-5R isn't a daily, anyway. I'll definitely go with 215s. I have 215s on the Volans on there now and they don't rub.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Jared, I'm so cheap I have Michelin Primacy HP takeoffs from a BRZ, pennies on the dollar.

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Jared, I'm so cheap I have Michelin Primacy HP takeoffs from a BRZ, pennies on the dollar.
I remember seeing that on your thread. I suspect I am every bit as cheap as you in many (most?) areas (built my own neck for my banjo, will walk an hour to save $2.15 on the subway if I have time to kill (ok maybe that's actually a false economy if I could somehow monetize that time), got a 10 year old SLR for $100 on ebay and use it with old manual lenses that were just about free, etc.) but I feel like having a yellow T-5R estate comes with a certain level of responsibility that, if I can't do it right, I should sell it to someone who can. The Volans that came with the 850R have nearly new Continental ControlContact tires on them.....they are nowhere near my first choice (probably not even in my top 10 choices) but they are staying there for now because they are there and usable and good enough at keeping the car on the road even if they have some other traits that I'm not so happy about. I may change my attitude a bit after I graduate (or find any sort of revenue stream that is more lucrative than being a student working co-op jobs every few semesters), though.

·
Registered
16,103 Posts

Pilot Sport A/S 3's only if theyre the old version. The new A/S 3+ is not the same. It'll be better in the cold and snow but you loose out with the grip where you need it.

215/45/17. I'm putting A/ S 3's on volans "for my emerald" but realistically they'll be driven on the pewter probably until the emerald is done.

DWS 06 get love from the awd guys. We dont have that luxury (or headache, depending on how you consider it) of traction.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Nice thread! Amazing how these cars hold up even at high mileage when they are properly being cared for.

You could also run 225/45/17, but needless to say they are very tight in the front. This also depends on the tire of course.

I had them on my old 850 which was lowered with H & R springs. Tires were Goodyear Eagle Sport.
They did rub on the inner fenders a little and just a tad on the outside only on the driver side. I had to "modify" that area a little.

Looked great though and the added sidewall height certainly made a difference:

·
Registered
15,384 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Pilot Sport A/S 3's only if theyre the old version. The new A/S 3+ is not the same. It'll be better in the cold and snow but you loose out with the grip where you need it.

215/45/17. I'm putting A/ S 3's on volans "for my emerald" but realistically they'll be driven on the pewter probably until the emerald is done.

DWS 06 get love from the awd guys. We dont have that luxury (or headache, depending on how you consider it) of traction.
What alternatives are you looking at when the A/S 3 becomes unavailable? TireRack has them on clearance now.

I'm guessing the traction isn't that good on the DWS 06 if the AWD guys love them? I think the P7 A/S+ has some issues there, too. The Tesla guys with the P85/P85D complain that they break loose too easily on launch, but I'm not sure how relavant that is given that we have a bit less torque at launch (the Lexus guys didn't have a problem).

21 - 40 of 1238 Posts