SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

241 - 258 of 258 Posts

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
E39s have mechanical fans?!
Yep... of the VERY small list of things I don't like about these cars, that's number 1. The fan clutches fail pretty catastrophically (lock up and launch off through the hood... yes, it actually happens), the flimsy shroud are glass fiber reinforced (like the P80 rad supports that cut your hands up) and of course they're power hogs. I regard the E39 as the perfect car, but they do have a couple flaws!
Is that a Service Reminder of CEL on ? Your not allowed to have a CEL, only BMWDUBYA and I are allowed, hee hee
😂 Mine never goes away!

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #242
Put on the Canopus/WRG4 since it's snowy and the NA is out of service and there were toys to be scored at the JY

then we got bbq

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Did you guys have to fist fight for the M56? 😆

Nice haul though! Looks a little chilly to pull a transmission. I was spoiled with 65 degree sunny weather yesterday, so I was finally able to do a bunch of work on the E39.

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Did you guys have to fist fight for the M56? 😆

Nice haul though! Looks a little chilly to pull a transmission. I was spoiled with 65 degree sunny weather yesterday, so I was finally able to do a bunch of work on the E39.
No lol, only one of us has a use for a M56LK.

It was well into the 30s, calm, and sunny. I would have been 100% comfortable if I hadn't gotten snow in my boots while throwing the WRG4 on the S70.

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #246
Your cars always look like they must have been in good hands. And they are actually.
Currently they are. Can't say the same about the past. This S70 has been beat up pretty bad and was in a pretty significant crash at some point. However, at 100k miles, the morons in its past hadn't had enough time to totally destroy it yet.

You may recall that one of the first things my dad and I did with this car when we got it home was strip the interior and wash the carpets. They were GROSS. There were like 6 air fresheners stinking up the interior, too. It took a couple months for that to air out. Hopefully I'll get around to painting the bumpers this spring and then this car will actually look good.

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
This car came home 1 year and 7 minutes ago. We've come a long way.....over the last 2,219 miles lol. My dad got 103k earlier this afternoon.

Very much enjoying getting to cruise around in this car this winter. Can't wait for the next batch of upgrades this spring.

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
P80s look luxury on Canopus.
I don't love them but they serve a purpose and have grown on me some. Good for keeping snow out of the brakes. I had some sketchy moments with that back when we were rocking Antlia year-round on the NA and it's nice not having that problem with these.

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #250
Port side wheel bearing failed. 1/4 bolt heads failed on disassembly.

Angle grinder to the rescue

Handbrake apparently stopped working since last year........so much for passing safety inspection on time. Time to open the parts cannon.

Dislike that these are on clearance........

·
Registered
16,386 Posts
OMG, the rust!
Yeah - seeing these on clearance can mean bad things...

·
Registered
155 Posts
It looks like a part that came out of the Titanic. Wow, so glad my wagon has lived all it's life in California.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I was wondering what kind of Pirating he's been doing in that wagon... :geek:

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
Port side wheel bearing failed. 1/4 bolt heads failed on disassembly.

View attachment 121945

Angle grinder to the rescue

View attachment 121946

Handbrake apparently stopped working since last year........so much for passing safety inspection on time. Time to open the parts cannon.

Dislike that these are on clearance........
View attachment 121948
One thing for Volvo's engineering - pretty amazing it was still functioning with all that rust!

To the clearance point, my local indie just tossed a lot of new parts for older models in the trash, it was all over the local Volvo fb page suggesting people go and help themselves. That said, I doubt it was P80 stuff, mostly old red block parts would be my guess.

·
Registered
16,386 Posts
That's so awful. What a wasteful society we are.
NOS - crazy.
One thing for Volvo's engineering - pretty amazing it was still functioning with all that rust!

To the clearance point, my local indie just tossed a lot of new parts for older models in the trash, it was all over the local Volvo fb page suggesting people go and help themselves. That said, I doubt it was P80 stuff, mostly old red block parts would be my guess.

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
Spring is here and work parties are back! Time to get this handbrake going again.

No wonder mom's handbrake didn't work lol

No better on the other side. Holds great with the new Volvo shoes. Refreshed with fresh Zimmerman rotors too.

·
Registered
185 Posts
That rust is pretty hateful looking.. It reminds me of my old VR that was from NH...it just hurts so much to see. Ever think about taking it all apart and giving the parts a little paint for protection? Or is that more work then what it is worth...

·
Registered
16,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #258
That rust is pretty hateful looking.. It reminds me of my old VR that was from NH...it just hurts so much to see. Ever think about taking it all apart and giving the parts a little paint for protection? Or is that more work then what it is worth...
More trouble than it's worth. All this stuff looks awful because it's a low mile car and everything is still original. Zero rust on the car itself, and less and less rust on the wear items as I go through them.

241 - 258 of 258 Posts