SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

221 - 240 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Jared, just for future use, I believe those momentary switches used for the numbers on the 901 and 900 are pretty much the same as other radios in our cars (like the SC-8xx and HU models) and if the size and shape are similar they may work fine.

Another tip: pretty much all of these radios are due for re-caps (replacing the electrolytic capacitors) and I've successfully recapped one dead radio and got much better performance out of it in terms of audio quality and reception.

Reactions: bmdubya1198

·
Registered
16,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Jared, just for future use, I believe those momentary switches used for the numbers on the 901 and 900 are pretty much the same as other radios in our cars (like the SC-8xx and HU models) and if the size and shape are similar they may work fine.

Another tip: pretty much all of these radios are due for re-caps (replacing the electrolytic capacitors) and I've successfully recapped one dead radio and got much better performance out of it in terms of audio quality and reception.
Interesting. I've never heard of that before. Time to do some research....

I tested continuity in the switch and it seemed to be functioning correctly. I'm not sure that's where the problem was.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Could also be some cold solder joint failures, as well as ribbon cable pinches or issues. I had a ribbon cable issue on a SC-815.

·
Registered
16,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #224
Could also be some cold solder joint failures, as well as ribbon cable pinches or issues. I had a ribbon cable issue on a SC-815.
wouldn't be too surprising

·
Registered
269 Posts
That's not a common issue on Japanese electronics. Russian electronics otherwise has really high failure rate due to dried electrolitic capacitors. They tend to fail when sitting without power for a long time. Cars are driven daily so capacitors shouldn't dry out.
But when talking about cold solder joints... Yes, that's a huge problem with 900/901. It could be lack of proper cooling, they tend to get really hot inside.

·
Registered
16,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #226
102k! Picking up the pace on miles in this car dramatically since we got new tires on it and we can take it on the highway. Maybe we will hit 2k miles by the time we cross our one-year anniversary with it 😂. It's the only car we bothered to dig out after it snowed.

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
Wow, low miles on that car!

Water temp looks a little low.

·
Registered
894 Posts
22 mpg nice, i never got above 17 in the black s70, but the T5 swap moondust is getting 23.5.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Way better gas mileage than mine! Lol

·
Registered
16,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #230
22 mpg nice, i never got above 17 in the black s70, but the T5 swap moondust is getting 23.5.
Lol the fuel economy is the most disappointing part of this car. I would expect to see 26-32mpg from this car depending on the driving.

Wow, low miles on that car!

Water temp looks a little low.
The low miles does have its advantages, but even at 100k, a lot of things are starting to unravel and it still needs/needed a lot. The best thing about this car at these miles is it doesn't need a steering rack. I don't think that's worth the usual low mileage pricing premium, but this thing was $1200 so I'll take it!

I need to figure out what is up with the temp; I'm wondering if it's running rich because it's cold/thinks it's cold and causing my fuel consumption problem.

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
I need to figure out what is up with the temp; I'm wondering if it's running rich because it's cold/thinks it's cold and causing my fuel consumption problem.
Probably - I'd start with a new thermostat.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Yep, thermostat for sure. Maybe the ECT sensor too while it's apart.

·
Registered
16,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #233 (Edited)
The plugs were very wrong so I installed some fresh Volvo plugs

Then I went sailing with these guys (yes we know it's January.....not like we can hang out indoors so might as well just send it on acting like it's summer)

and found fuel economy had improved dramatically.

Also ordered fresh coils and a thermostat. What you see above is as hot as the engine got after driving an hour, about half of that on the highway. I still think this car should be getting 30 mpg on the highway but we're making major progress. Tank average is holding in the mid 25s.

My dad isn't happy with the ride quality in this car (it's on green marked springs front and whatever rear sedan spring pairs with that) and a killer deal on some H&R sedan springs came along last night so we picked those up too.

·
Registered
16,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
Fresh coils and thermostat.

Apparently I must have been trying too hard to get 27 mpg when I reported than in my previous post. My dad took it to CT and fuel economy promptly fell to 25 at 75-80. But I drove it yesterday and I was getting 27 without trying and 28+ with trying the fresh thermostat definitely helped. I still think it should be closer to 30 cruising on the highway at 70. Tempted to have the injectors refurbed but I'm probably just going to put blues and a 15G and the 00 T5A tune on it so that seems not worth it.

And you can see the temp is dead on now so the old thermostat was definitely toast.

·
Registered
16,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #236

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
This is making me want to find another P80 as a daily... I'm so jealous of that gas mileage. Even my E39 gets 24.2 at best, but that should go up a little when I swap in an electric fan.

Reactions: JaredR

·
Registered
16,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
This is making me want to find another P80 as a daily... I'm so jealous of that gas mileage. Even my E39 gets 24.2 at best, but that should go up a little when I swap in an electric fan.
E39s have mechanical fans?!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Fresh coils and thermostat.

View attachment 116736

Apparently I must have been trying too hard to get 27 mpg when I reported than in my previous post. My dad took it to CT and fuel economy promptly fell to 25 at 75-80. But I drove it yesterday and I was getting 27 without trying and 28+ with trying the fresh thermostat definitely helped. I still think it should be closer to 30 cruising on the highway at 70. Tempted to have the injectors refurbed but I'm probably just going to put blues and a 15G and the 00 T5A tune on it so that seems not worth it.

And you can see the temp is dead on now so the old thermostat was definitely toast.

View attachment 116738
Is that a Service Reminder of CEL on ? Your not allowed to have a CEL, only BMWDUBYA and I are allowed, hee hee

·
Registered
16,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
Is that a Service Reminder of CEL on ? Your not allowed to have a CEL, only BMWDUBYA and I are allowed, hee hee
Yeah it keeps being pissed about the VVT; I swapped the VVT solenoid and it's still pissed about something. Not sure what the problem is but I don't know if the base timing is right so I'm not going to keep chasing it until I do the timing belt and retime it from scratch.

There might be an inactive misfire code in there from the old spark plugs, too. I haven't connected VIDA recently.

221 - 240 of 249 Posts