·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #181

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
Got some fresh zLines for this car. They're 2016s. I gave up on finding anything newer.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Wow, I guess they're really not selling many of those in that size!

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #185
Wow, I guess they're really not selling many of those in that size!
Apparently not. 215/45R17 not far behind; the ones I ended up with for the T-5R are 2018s. That car may get 225/45s for its next set just in the interest of getting fresher rubber. We'll see what happens for this car. Hoping I don't get forced onto WRs.

Why no egg crate for this one?
It might get one eventually. Hasn't been a priority.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
225s are great on my car. Although I have to say my Cooper Zeons have worn pretty badly. I realized while plugging a tire the other day that I'm down to 2-3/32" on 3/4 tires. I have MAYBE 10k on them.

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
What is it with all the 2016 ZLines still out there? They'll hit the 6 year expiration date before your Mom gets them broken in!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,560 Posts
What is it with all the 2016 ZLines still out there? They'll hit the 6 year expiration date before your Mom gets them broken in!

I dunno I have 4019 on the 03?

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Those are about the newest I've heard about.

·
Registered
16,560 Posts

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Nobody is buying UHP tires in 16 anymore I guess. 17s don't have this problem. As long as they still look and feel good, I'll probably run this set until 2024 or so.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
Anybody ever tried painting oak interior parts with SEM interior paint or similar? I'm adding a center speaker to this car but oak Dolby dashes are unobtanium and I'm not sure what color would be the best match....or maybe I should see about getting some custom mixed?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I haven’t tried it for oak, but I did paint a few interior pieces for my old E90 and my dad’s E83 with gray DupliColor interior paint, and it came out well. Seems to hood up great, and it doesn’t look or feel like it was painted. It’s a thinner product, more like a dye.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Nobody is buying UHP tires in 16 anymore I guess. 17s don't have this problem. As long as they still look and feel good, I'll probably run this set until 2024 or so.
We had this problem with a 235/40/18s for the C70...but I found them very cheap online (sketch).

My dad phoned ahead and asked explaining that he’d only be driving the car seasonally/occasionally. The guy gave him the whole “we have an offsite warehouse, so I can’t tell you, but if it’s a problem we will exchange them.

Our shipment included three 2018s made in Finland, and one 2016 made in Russia. At first they didn’t want to do anything for us, and then they pulled as “soup nazi” move and told my dad they’d do a refund, but only if he sent all four back.

I spent a few years working inventory management in retail, so I knew some of this things I needed to say to get them to agree to take the one back, but I think my parents still had to hit them with a disputed charge.

We ended up ordering a pair from Amazon to improve our chances of getting a more recent tire, and got a matched pair that were almost as new as the other three, so they kept both, and ended up with five at an average of about $120 per.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
Picked up a S70 Dynaudio kit. Sounds excellent; would recommend. I think it sounds better than my S60.

20201128_110921.jpg

A tan Dolby dash was also installed but it was too dark for a picture when I finished that. The later C70 light grey dash is a more complimentary mismatch with an oak interior than tan in case anyone is wondering. The sound is excellent though so I'll deal with it until I find a solution to the unobtanability of oak Dolby dashes.

Installed the under seat amp while I was at it so the Dolby module won't break the map pocket like it did in my dad's NA.

20201128_151411.jpg

Disconnected the battery for Dolby dash install and preset 4 on the 901 stopped working. The code has a 4 in it. 😣

I removed the switch from the board and there was nothing wrong with it. Not sure what the issue is. Installed another 901. Does anyone know which board houses the part that has the code?

20201128_164028.jpg

Decided I would take a look at the CD changer while I was in here and see if I could find any clues as to why these are so unreliable. Don't know enough about these to know what would cause a problem. CD deck moved to my desk to encourage further research.

20201128_182227.jpg

·
Registered
258 Posts
Dynaudio kit is really nice.
so the Dolby module won't break the map pocket
How?!

Changers in 901s work just fine. Cd lens is the culprit - they get dirty over time because of construction. When transporting cds in and out of magazine, lens collect dust very well.
Code is stored in main board that sits in the very bottom of 901. There's two chips with VOLVO written on them. I guess one of them stores the code. Local indie once decoded my 901. Don't know how he got the code out of it.

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
The under seat amp is very rare in the States, so people use the in-dash amp and then jam the Dolby processor in wherever. Usually this ends up being resting on top of the map pocket. Works great......for a few years until the top mounts start breaking off the panel.

Changers in 901s work just fine. Cd lens is the culprit - they get dirty over time because of construction. When transporting cds in and out of magazine, lens collect dust very well.
Code is stored in main board that sits in the very bottom of 901. There's two chips with VOLVO written on them. I guess one of them stores the code. Local indie once decoded my 901. Don't know how he got the code out of it.
Well this was a more useful answer than I thought anyone would have for this question! I guess there is still some hope for this 901. So you don't have to enter the code in your 901 anymore?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
S70s came with a Dynaudio option? Cool!

·
Registered
15,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #200
I do. I bought my 901 in junkyard. Code was lost. Then I found a guy who hacked my 901 to get the code out of it for me somehow.
Man you guys have all the good hacks over there. I'm impressed.

Yes but they are rare like unicorns.
You guys should all know by now that capturing unicorns is my specialty 😂

181 - 200 of 241 Posts