SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1141 - 1159 of 1159 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
The Carolinas and Georgia are really beautiful states the more you explore them. I’ve lived here for almost 15 years and still haven’t done much exploring aside from driving through various parts of the state. I’m just not the traveling type, a day trip somewhere is about all I can handle. I like to sleep in my own bed lol.
I really need to make the effort to get out to the Dragon, I’m almost embarrassed to say I’ve never been there. It’s not horribly far.

·
Registered
17,988 Posts
I really need to make the effort to get out to the Dragon, I’m almost embarrassed to say I’ve never been there. It’s not horribly far.
You’re not missing anything. Literally anywhere else is a better driving road, less morons, faster traffic flow. Heck even the blue ridge parkway is far superior...

Reactions: qmark

·
Registered
17,881 Posts
You're forgetting that they've made a lot of road improvements over the last 31 years, and not everybody's car could sustain high speeds like they can now. Nor should they have been, with inferior suspension bits and brakes. Even a Civic can hang in there at 95-100 without trying now, and stop pretty well. In the mid 90's my wife and I made a quick trip over a long weekend to Nags Head and while she was napping, I brought her new Jetta up to about 105 for about a half hour and she woke up and asked, "What do you think you're doing?"

That's funny - I find the visual is at least more interesting north of DC/Baltimore than just wetlands and palm trees. If it was at least more deciduous in the Fall you'd see some nice color.
I guess everyone must be going that fast now 🤷‍♂️

Strangely I don't totally hate that drive. The natural environment being so different from New England keeps it novel. All the pine trees in the Carolinas are what my sailing dreams are made of. Literally LOL.

And the Tidewater area in Georgia is kinda different, too. I'd actually like to explore that area more rather than just drive through it.

·
Registered
17,881 Posts
Never done Dragon, but Blueridge Pkwy is really nice.
You’re not missing anything. Literally anywhere else is a better driving road, less morons, faster traffic flow. Heck even the blue ridge parkway is far superior...

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I've heard that from many people. The problem is that it got too popular, plus general traffic travels through there in larger amounts. I've heard there are many more roads right nearby that are far better.

·
Registered
17,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,146 ·
Picked up an auto headlight controller. Because this car is already so far beyond the point of asking why not.

Font Auto part Cable Line art Electric blue

·
Registered
17,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,148 ·
What exactly does it do and how does it work besides the obvious?
I probably have about as many questions about this thing as you do lol. I've never seen one in person, don't know what the PN is, and have failed to find a wiring diagram or any information in VIDA. And this one hasn't left Japan yet.

The only information I have is what's in the Japanese accessories book, which I can't read.
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Font Parallel Number Paper Rectangle

·
Registered
537 Posts
I probably have about as many questions about this thing as you do lol. I've never seen one in person, don't know what the PN is, and have failed to find a wiring diagram or any information in VIDA. And this one hasn't left Japan yet.

The only information I have is what's in the Japanese accessories book, which I can't read.
Thats super interesting. Can't wait for you to figure out what its is and what it does.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Alright, so who here speaks Japanese and can translate? 😂

Reactions: ZZZZZZZ

·
Registered
17,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,152 ·

·
Registered
809 Posts
Picked up an auto headlight controller. Because this car is already so far beyond the point of asking why not.
Huh, interesting there's an actual factory retro-fit kit.

Makes me wonder if there's a (any aftermarket would be fine) way to retro-fit rain-sensing wipers. Moving backward to driving a 2000my XC, that is something I sorely miss as it's a nice feature in the PNW.

·
Registered
17,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,155 · (Edited)
Huh, interesting there's an actual factory retro-fit kit.

Makes me wonder if there's a (any aftermarket would be fine) way to retro-fit rain-sensing wipers. Moving backward to driving a 2000my XC, that is something I sorely miss as it's a nice feature in the PNW.
Interesting thought. Check this out:

We know our wiper relays are the same pinout as a Volkswagen 99 relay, and this is for another VAG product of the same era that appears to have the same pinout on the base.....wouldn't that be trick if we could have plug and play rain sensing wipers.

(cheaper here)

Also tracked down the OE supplier:

Hella also offered a similar product, called "Raintronic," but that appears to be pretty much unobtanium.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Also tracked down the OE supplier:
Regensensor

Top Line: Looks like $155 before shipping from Germany, direct plug-in for P80 cars with model AWS-12. And in the chart, the Porsche model listed for the 996, their code "Version 1 AWS-12" is the same as listed for the P80 cars. So presumably the Porsche unit would be a direct fit. Porshe's suggest price is 80% more than their suggested retail price, so getting the unit direct would be nice.

First I found some 996 owners on Rennlist who installed the Porsche dealer unit. The one who did it really liked it. Basically you put the stalk in intermittent mode then it runs in auto-wiper mode all the time. There's a unique optical adhesive pad that is one-time use.

Here is the sales unit for the "Regensensor" - Xanonex. On the FAQ page they list it as 164 Euros, VAT inc. (19% we would not pay if exported - so $155 USD net of VAT). On the application page, they say the AWS-12 version 1 is a direct plug/play for P80 models. Some confusion on 2000my as it is listed along with P2 models requiring wiring in a different unit (I am sceptical of that; I have noticed elsewhere in other parts references the first P2 models listed as 2000my and not 2001).

I emailed them to find out about US sales and to clarify the 2000my application.

Here's the vendors site main site. The pricing data is 2/3rds the way down the FAQ page. There's no direct way to order from the website.

Here is the application chart, Volvo details are on page 12.

If this thing is plug/play for my 2000my V70 XC, and it's $155 + shipping, I'm ordering one asap. I asked them how US customers should order and if we need to get them from Germany. Maybe we can get a few bundled together in one order for those who want them.

·
Registered
17,387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,157 ·
Top Line: Looks like $155 before shipping from Germany, direct plug-in for P80 cars with model AWS-12. And in the chart, the Porsche model listed for the 996, their code "Version 1 AWS-12" is the same as listed for the P80 cars. So presumably the Porsche unit would be a direct fit. Porshe's suggest price is 80% more than their suggested retail price, so getting the unit direct would be nice.

First I found some 996 owners on Rennlist who installed the Porsche dealer unit. The one who did it really liked it. Basically you put the stalk in intermittent mode then it runs in auto-wiper mode all the time. There's a unique optical adhesive pad that is one-time use.

Here is the sales unit for the "Regensensor" - Xanonex. On the FAQ page they list it as 164 Euros, VAT inc. (19% we would not pay if exported - so $155 USD net of VAT). On the application page, they say the AWS-12 version 1 is a direct plug/play for P80 models. Some confusion on 2000my as it is listed along with P2 models requiring wiring in a different unit (I am sceptical of that; I have noticed elsewhere in other parts references the first P2 models listed as 2000my and not 2001).

I emailed them to find out about US sales and to clarify the 2000my application.

Here's the vendors site main site. The pricing data is 2/3rds the way down the FAQ page. There's no direct way to order from the website.

Here is the application chart, Volvo details are on page 12.

If this thing is plug/play for my 2000my V70 XC, and it's $155 + shipping, I'm ordering one asap. I asked them how US customers should order and if we need to get them from Germany. Maybe we can get a few bundled together in one order for those who want them.
It will work in your 2000. P2s came out for MY00 in most markets. It's kind of like how my dad's V70 T5 would be MY97 in almost any other market. Note that it's plug and play with C70 -MY05.

I'm tempted to try one for the R but it has a garbage aftermarket windshield at the moment so what the options are for getting replacement adhesive would be a big question. Also would be curious to hear a review of it before I spend money. I RainX my windshields and then run the wipers VERY sparingly to preserve the RainX, and I have to wonder if I would be better served by a 99 relay because of that. When driving P80 in the wet, I almost always run the wipers by hand, one wipe at a time, as the standard intermittent frequency is usually far too frequent for me—and almost never run them at all over 50mph. In P2, I run rain sensing at minimum sensitivity, and even that is often more sensitive than I would like.

Seeing this also raises the question of if I could implement my own rain sensing system that would be more to my liking by replacing the intermittent circuitry in stock wiper relay. Although I'm unsure I would ever decide that is worth the effort.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Ah, that explains the inconsistency I have seen. So a 2000 V70 or XC in Europe was a P2, and there was no 2000my P80? That would make sense. I was sure mine would not be different, but didn't understand why parts listings varied.

For me this would be great as the constant varying rain here requires a lot fiddling to manage. I've driven in Chicago all season a bit (my brother lived in the NW burbs a while), and the rain here is a quantum or two more of an issue.

I'm glad you found that Porsche stuff as now this could be good for some people.

Reactions: JaredR

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Alright, so who here speaks Japanese and can translate? 😂
the first picture is merely describing each corresponding accessory.
4. auto lighting
5. light pole
6. my guess is its describing a smaller version of the light pole which seem to be some kind of low beam on indicator.
7. corner sensor. basically describes the function of rear parking sensors.

the second picture is just a pricing guide for various options.
4 indicating auto lighting at about $240 with $35 installation.

1141 - 1159 of 1159 Posts