SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1101 - 1120 of 1159 Posts

·
Registered
17,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,101 ·
Best practice is not to use solder on vehicle wiring anyways so that solves the problem
Crimp connections are the SAE standard.
Certainly agree with that and would do it that way if I had unlimited budget. Cutting connectors out of cars at the JY whenever I'm already there for other stuff just happens to be an extremely cost effective solution.

For me? Four cars and then a couple more that I maintain for family members but then I don't have nearly the mechanical skills that many of you all have. When I was at seven plus the two I maintain it was a little much.
Aside from your T-5R, you go through them pretty quickly, which compounds the issue greatly. I can't imagine having to get to know a new car every year or two. I can only deal with the number of cars we have because I have good, long term relationships with every car.

·
Registered
14,385 Posts
Aside from your T-5R, you go through them pretty quickly, which compounds the issue greatly. I can't imagine having to get to know a new car every year or two. I can only deal with the number of cars we have because I have good, long term relationships with every car.
Very true! It's taken me the better part of two years to get the '15 XC70 to a point where I'm pretty happy with it - stage 0, new wheels, tires, a bunch of cosmetic items, pdr, just got back from the paint shop, etc, etc. Now it looks like a longer term hold until I go to full electrification, lol.

·
Registered
17,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,103 ·
Prototype sub enclosure. Off to a good start. No, I don't see keeping the backwards Öhlins reservoir there permanently, but this at least offers a temporary solution to it floating around the cargo area until I get around to having the reservoir flipped.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Mode of transport Automotive exterior Trunk

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Automotive design

·
Registered
305 Posts
that's a good spot... (y)

• Haha
Reactions: JaredR

·
Registered
17,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,106 ·

·
Registered
17,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,108 ·

·
Registered
17,988 Posts

·
Registered
17,881 Posts
Wander made some sort of thing out of a birch box. It looked kinda cool, and the local dealer was pitching one I should have grabbed for the garage.
Fact:

Volvo engine crates come made out of Swedish birch plywood....nearly or cabinet grade. Absolutely amazing.

·
Registered
17,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,112 ·
The P2 shift cables seem to be binding up from being too long, so time to see if I can make P80 cables work with this setup.

Automotive tire Gas Household hardware Auto part Technology

Finger Wood Gas Nail Auto part

Inside flange was too big to fit in the P80 cable end, so I trimmed that down

Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system Engineering Fluid Gas

It fit, but very loose, so I wrapped it in e tape

Automotive tire Finger Household hardware Thumb Wood

Success! Now to see how the rest of this goes....

Automotive tire Audio equipment Gas Coil spring Electronic device

·
Registered
17,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,114 ·
Must be cool to have all that tooling to craft the stuff you need. All you need now is a 3D printer.
Yes it is. I've actually stopped identifying as a consumer because of it. I don't know how people survive without at least having a lathe, drill press and a grinder.... essential equipment for any homeowner. We would routinely be screwed without at least having those.

I actually have a 3D printer we inherited from one of my dad's friends a few years ago along with the CNC milling machine I've probably mentioned in the past....maybe, just maybe, I'll get around to setting them up this winter.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
Yes it is. I've actually stopped identifying as a consumer because of it. I don't know how people survive without at least having a lathe, drill press and a grinder.... essential equipment for any homeowner. We would routinely be screwed without at least having those.

I actually have a 3D printer we inherited from one of my dad's friends a few years ago along with the CNC milling machine I've probably mentioned in the past....maybe, just maybe, I'll get around to setting them up this winter.
CJ and I were talking about this exact thing yesterday as he was fabricating my MAF sensor adaptor plate…. You can’t truly mod these cars without a machine shop. Aftermarket support doesn’t really exist as it does with other brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
17,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,116 ·
CJ and I were talking about this exact thing yesterday as he was fabricating my MAF sensor adaptor plate…. You can’t truly mod these cars without a machine shop. Aftermarket support doesn’t really exist as it does with other brands.
Nope. I'm sure you saw the shenanegans I had to pull to make my 960 MAF fit cleanly (...and I have my suspicions that saturating that MAF is gonna be the next problem I run into...)

Back to those shift cables.....that's still going to need some more mods to make that work if I continue down that path. The pinned connection is a bigger pin so the stock M56 bushing doesn't fit.

Automotive tire Wood Gear Motor vehicle Vehicle brake

That's not a big deal—I can just make a Delrin bushing or something to swap out for the stock one

However, a bigger problem is the M56 cable bracket won't bolt on to the M66, so I need to come up with a different solution there.

Motor vehicle Auto part Coil Automotive tire Automotive wheel system

However, it seems that my P2 cables aren't in very good shape, so perhaps that is also part of the problem. Debating if I want to continue down this path with the P80 cables and shifter or try some different P2 cables and see if they work better.

Automotive tire Ash Fire Flame Gas

·
Registered
17,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,117 ·
Since the exhaust rusted out and broke (again) on the NA, we made some changes in fleet management (sailor pun intended....if anyone gets it)

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Sky Car

Obviously this wasn't going to work on H&R all around. I swapped in the Lesjofors 9140099HDs that were in the NA before it got the Nivomats that were displaced from this car by the Öhlins.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Tire Automotive tire Tread Motor vehicle Synthetic rubber

I didn't think these were going to be enough to keep the car level but, to my surprise, it is almost dead flat with the H&R still up front. This resolves issues we had in the past in the NA, both with these springs and with the Nivomats, with the front lifting and getting a bit floaty. The Öhlins do a brilliant job of keeping all movements well controlled. Absolutely thrilled with how well this setup works. Tomorrow we move it to winter storage and will get to see how it does on a longer trip.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive side marker light

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Vehicle Sky

·
Registered
17,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,119 ·

·
Registered
17,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,120 ·
So I didn't do a front bumper swap, but I did put in an eggcrate grille:

I started with the IPD aftermarket grille. I ground some grooves in. Then I drilled some tiny holes across the rib, and trimmed off three of the mounting tabs:

Put a zip tie through the holes in the center, and aluminum wire through the tiny holes:

And presto, slash attached!

Can't hardly even tell.

And now I don't have to do the S60 bumper swap unless I really want to later. I'll take some daylight pictures tomorrow.

I'd totally forgotten about this post until I stumbled back across it yesterday after that black 02 T5 came up in the CL thread in Colorado.....I didn't remember what year @LloydDobler's T5M was so I thought I'd take a look back at his thread and then decided to check in on what his current cars were up to while I was there. Not much it seems, but it did lead me back to this post which made me realize that I could do the same thing with the eggcrate I got like 4 years ago from @CYB3RBYTE....

This attachment method radically exceeded expectations. With the wires twisted, the sash is super secure. I didn't see a way to use a zip tie with this sash the way Lloyd did, but it certainly doesn't seem to be an issue.

Wood Beam Shelving Engineering Facade

And threw on an R grille badge while I was at it. Unfortunately it doesn't quite clip in so I had to remove the stock mounting tabs and attach it with some 3M trim tape.

String instrument accessory Guitar accessory Musical instrument accessory Wood Tool

1101 - 1120 of 1159 Posts