SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1041 - 1060 of 1064 Posts

·
Registered
17,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,041 ·
Damn! That’s the first I’ve seen that happen on one of these. Then again, I live in the south where we don’t have to worry about such problems :cool:
It's an issue up here. Back when we were in college, my friend who has the Nautic T5M now had a 98 T5M and the linkage fell off a bunch of times on that. I actually don't know what he did to fix it, but I know it somehow stopped happening before he started living the ME7 Life.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
It's an issue up here. Back when we were in college, my friend who has the Nautic T5M now had a 98 T5M and the linkage fell off a bunch of times on that. I actually don't know what he did to fix it, but I know it somehow stopped happening before he started living the ME7 Life.
I've seen people get creative with zip ties... anything is possible!

·
Registered
17,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,043 ·
I've seen people get creative with zip ties... anything is possible!
Yeah I uh.....will be replacing it. Got two arms with the ball at the yard today so hopefully one is adequate. Playing with them in the yard they seemed better.

·
Registered
17,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,044 ·
Looks a bit better. The linkage actually snaps on and I can't push it off with one finger, so I think it probably won't fall off while I'm driving.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Wow, that's crazy how much smaller it got from corrosion!

·
Registered
17,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,048 ·

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I'm quite certain the dub could make one of those with a stainless steel bolt chucked up in his drill, a nice sharp file and various grits of wet sandpaper!
With some time with a bolt and bench grinder, I can make something work! A drill would work well for a more portable, side of the road repair option.

·
Registered
17,420 Posts
I wonder what would a machine shop charge to make a superior, new one?
With some time with a bolt and bench grinder, I can make something work! A drill would work well for a more portable, side of the road repair option.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I wonder what would a machine shop charge to make a superior, new one?
It would probably be a simple part for them to make, so it couldn't be TOO outrageous.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts

·
Registered
17,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,055 ·
That definition varies from shop to shop... lol
I mean I could make one but I can't justify the cost of my own time and shop to do it lol

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
If someone has a set of drawings/measurements or a physical part in really good condition one they can send my way, I can get a quote from a friend who runs a machine shop to CNC a batch of them.

Could look at 2 options - a whole new linkage, or just a new ball stud that bolts onto the arm. The new ball stud as a stand-alone part should be cheaper to make

·
Registered
17,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,057 ·
Collected a couple more P2 shift cable ball sockets to play with so I could hack one up to find out what the deal is. I cut the cable end to get the ball socket out since I couldn't figure out how to get it apart.

Once I got it out, I still couldn't figure out how to get it apart.

So I cut it in half. It appears to be welded together.....so just taking it apart and putting it back together in the P80 shift cable end isn't going to work. Anyone have any bright ideas? I have a couple ideas so far but don't love either of them. Yeah I've seen the people who just deleted the ball and bolted the P80 cables through the M66 shift lever but I want to keep the ball joint because it seems slick and it's what's there.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Looks like a problem that would be solved with a 3D printed part
Seems to be the solution to a lot of these little things on these cars now.

Reactions: JaredR

·
Registered
17,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,060 ·
I'm thinking I could probably machine something on the lathe, too. Have the pieces thread together....

1041 - 1060 of 1064 Posts