SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

A New Generation of Jaguars - The All-New X-Type Will Start at $29,950

MAHWAH, N.J., --Jaguar today announced the Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price for the new all-wheel drive X-TYPE sports sedan that will go on sale in the United States this summer. The X-TYPE will start at $29,950.

Jaguar's all-new sports sedan, the X-TYPE, becomes a fourth model in the company's expanding product range and marks Jaguar's entry in the fast-growing compact sedan segment. X-TYPE is Jaguar's first all-wheel drive model, and will be aimed squarely to challenge the segment's existing sales and image leaders.

``With the launch of the S-TYPE in 1999, we clearly signaled that Jaguar stands for not only style and performance, but also for terrific value,'' said Mike O'Driscoll, President Jaguar North America. ``The new all-wheel drive X- TYPE, at less than $30,000, is going to make Jaguar accessible to a whole new generation of buyers.''

Jaguar will offer two X-TYPE models in the United States, both with the advanced Jaguar Traction-4 all-wheel drive system. The X-TYPE 2.5-liter will feature the 194-horsepower AJ-V6 engine fitted with either a five-speed manual gearbox or an optional five-speed electronic automatic transmission. The X- TYPE 3.0-liter equipped with a 231-horsepower AJ-V6 engine comes with the automatic as standard, with a manual as a no-cost option.

The car's practical strengths include comprehensive safety and security equipment and generous space for passengers and luggage. Standard safety technology includes anti-lock brakes (ABS), three-point safety belts throughout, pre-tensioning front safety belts with load-limiters, dual-stage deployment front airbags, front-seat side-impact airbags, side curtain airbags for the front and rear occupants, sophisticated occupancy sensors and a collapsible brake pedal mechanism.

Standard equipment also includes traditional wood veneers in bird's-eye maple combined with soft, luxurious Connelly leather seating. A full slate of luxury amenities include automatic climate control, a 120-Watt audio system and remote keyless entry. Both X-TYPE models include standard cruise control and Integrated Communications and Entertainment (ICE) controls for the audio and optional telephone.

The X-TYPE is one of the most significant models in the company's history, giving Jaguar its first compact sport sedan in 30 years. The X-TYPE will help transform Jaguar from a niche player to a major competitor in the luxury car segment.

SOURCE: Jaguar Cars Inc.

[This message has been edited by [email protected] (edited 02-15-2001).]

·
Registered
439 Posts
That car looks pretty sweet. This will make Jaguar much more mainstream and a serious contender to the likes of Audi, BMW and Mercedes Benz.

It's also a competitor for the S60, but I get the feeling that Ford is trying to take Volvo into much the same stance that Volkswagen is in with the 20/40/50 series cars that have been hinted at.

I've never considered owning a Jag, but this one I would consider...especially if they made a wagon.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah that's one sweet car. My vote is still out on the interior though.

This car certainly will take Jaguar out of the niche though. They'll be a larger volume car, and far more attainable with this model.

Their rich clientele may scoff, and I just may be tempted to buy one so that I can drive by a "fellow" Jag owner, and wave.

Hey George, how about a Jagworld BVertical?

You guys are becoming the ultimate enthusiast web location. Why not Jags too?!

·
Registered
38 Posts
it's certainly a nice car in terms of looks, features and price. but what scares me is keeping the thing running. I don't know if jag has got the build quality up, but with such a long history of being temperamental and so few dealers to have it serviced, it seems like a headache in the making

·
Registered
439 Posts
I don't know. This car is going to be based on the Ford Mondeo right? I haven't heard of any quality issues with the new S-type. That car is like the X in that it is based on a Ford world platform. I think the car is kind of intriguing.

The question is, what do you call the sport model. For the XJ8, it's the XJR, so would that make this the XX8. That's doesn't sound right.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts