SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Volvo sold 449,255 cars globally in 2011, with 67,240 of those sales coming from right here in the States. By 2020, CEO Stefan Jacoby aims to boost those numbers to 800,000 sales globally and 120,000 here, and to do so, he can't let the exchange rate between the dollar and the euro stand in the way. That's why, according to a report in Automotive News, Jacoby says the company will spend "the next two or three years" considering building a plant in the U.S. or Mexico.

Jacoby made much the same comments six months ago at the 2011 Frankfurt Auto Show, but now he's added a timeframe to the discussion. Even on the optimistic end, if Volvo decided to build a factory in 2014 and got the site chosen and the facility built in 18 months, it would probably be 2016 before anyone would benefit from locally produced cars. Nevertheless, with the new V40 due for a new generation not long after, that it might make a perfect timing for us to finally get the svelte hatchback we'd much rather have right now.

Source: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/03/13/...campaign=Feed:+weblogsinc/autoblog+(Autoblog)

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'm not holding my breath! I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for that V40 in 5 years!! Not!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I'm lost again. If you can design and build a plant in 18 months, why does it take 24-36 months to make a decision. And besides this is not exactly a new question. I thought Volvo had been "considering" North American production for years, you would think they had the decision making process worked out a long ago and only had to plug in new numbers.

More likely Jacoby doesn't want to make a decision. Let NA putz along as it always does, sell China all the old technology VCC can move, and do hi-tech for your sophisticated European customers.:cool:

·
Registered
602 Posts
I think the plant may take only 18 months to choose ... Getting a plant running, staffed and enough parts to there could take 2-3 years. Which is when the XC30 will come around and that will be a NA car. Maybe even make a different convertible after the C70 is taken out of the line up.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
I'm lost again. If you can design and build a plant in 18 months, why does it take 24-36 months to make a decision. And besides this is not exactly a new question. I thought Volvo had been "considering" North American production for years, you would think they had the decision making process worked out a long ago and only had to plug in new numbers.
For years? Did you not miss the fact that everything had been put on hold while Ford was deciding the Brand's fate?????

More likely Jacoby doesn't want to make a decision. Let NA putz along as it always does, sell China all the old technology VCC can move, and do hi-tech for your sophisticated European customers.:cool:
Monday morning quarterbacking...once again!

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
1. I think Ford considered it. It would have been unreasonable not to.
2. Corporate cheerleading ...once again?

(My notes indicated Geely signed a definitive agreement to acquire VCC in March 2010, and close the transaction in August, 2010. Can't blame Ford forever.)

·
Registered
434 Posts

Well said Sausca! I can recall reading an interview about the newly proposed S40 & Mitsubishi merger in 1995! Back then Volvo were toying with the idea of building a factory in the U.S.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I'm not completely sure about this, but I think the Halifax (Dartmouth) plant is now a Redpath Sugar unloading dock and storage facility, so Volvo would have to build a new plant.

·
Registered
197 Posts
It all sounds to me as a company searching for a direction, aka underfunded and undercommitted.....

In all honesty Ford left Volvo in a position where they can not compete in today's market. If you look at the model lineup they left.
.....xc70 and v70 - By going to the Ford designed 6, the brand got away from one of it's strength with existing customers = MPG [23-24 vs. 17-19]. Ford also locked Volvo into their parts stream.
.....The xk60 is a product shared with Mazda which has a 50% Ford ownership. Locking Volvo into a Ford parts stream. It is the #2 seller in the model loneup.
.....xc90 is one of the most expensive Volvos to own. Design problems have lead to a miriad of maintainance issues, including terrible tire wear. Fuel mileage is pitifull.
.....The new s60 is Volvo's best car. Designed and built by Volvo. The economical T5 is now the best seller, and that engine is pure Volvo for economy and longevity. They have lost the market segement that the 01-07 v70/xc70 owned. It is time to bring the V60 here, and ultimately kill the XC90, and market the xc70 in its place.
.....The C30 has not caught on here. Many Ford parts, but is a Volvo. I have one and like it.

If Volvo is here in 10 years, it will take a big committment on Geely's part. So far it looks like pr more than substance.

·
Registered
784 Posts
The inline six is Volvo's design NOT Ford. What Mazda is derived directly from the XC60 ?

Landrover LR2 is based on the XC60 using the same drive train layout and similar base inline six (Just checked LR's website and the engine still only outputs 230HP).

As much as I hate Ford I think Volvo forever lost many upmarket customers with the fiasco the early S80 T6 were and the XC90 T6.

·
Registered
434 Posts
It all sounds to me as a company searching for a direction, aka underfunded and undercommitted.....

In all honesty Ford left Volvo in a position where they can not compete in today's market. If you look at the model lineup they left.
.....xc70 and v70 - By going to the Ford designed 6, the brand got away from one of it's strength with existing customers = MPG [23-24 vs. 17-19]. Ford also locked Volvo into their parts stream.
.....The xk60 is a product shared with Mazda which has a 50% Ford ownership. Locking Volvo into a Ford parts stream. It is the #2 seller in the model loneup.
.....xc90 is one of the most expensive Volvos to own. Design problems have lead to a miriad of maintainance issues, including terrible tire wear. Fuel mileage is pitifull.
.....The new s60 is Volvo's best car. Designed and built by Volvo. The economical T5 is now the best seller, and that engine is pure Volvo for economy and longevity. They have lost the market segement that the 01-07 v70/xc70 owned. It is time to bring the V60 here, and ultimately kill the XC90, and market the xc70 in its place.
.....The C30 has not caught on here. Many Ford parts, but is a Volvo. I have one and like it.

If Volvo is here in 10 years, it will take a big committment on Geely's part. So far it looks like pr more than substance.
Ford took from Volvo what they wanted, same with Jaguar, Mazda et al and then sadly when they parted, Ford had to honour their agreement with the chassis, floor pans and engines. There is nothing about "locking" parts into each brand, you take something you give it back.

Volvo benefitted well from Ford but the original S60 and S80 was developed BEFORE FORD TOOK OVER. Thus you can argue as much as you wish as to who has ownership control over the XC60. It has no Mazda derived parts or any Mazda which has been derived from it - the XC60 uses the P1 platform that underpins the Land Rover Freelander 2. P1 platform was an enhanced version of the original EUCD Mondeo platform.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts