SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it me. Or does it seem like the factory side skirts covering the points you're supposed to use for a jack is a bad idea?
Not only did it start to crack the skirt but it slid out while pulling off the tire and trapped my wrist between the fender and top of the tire.

Sorry to vent. If it wasn't a blowout on thr highway I would've gladly used a real jack at home. I've just never had to use the factory one. And between it being lacking and no good place to jack it up I'm here with a broken forearm.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Damn , that sucks. I've had to use the factory jack due to a blowout on the highway but I had a level surface and used the factory jack point. It didn't interfere with the factory side skirts at all. Good thing you weren't more seriously injured.

Oh, and it's a good idea for anyone who reads this to check the air pressure on your spare tire. Mine is 10 years old, never used, and mostly flat. Luckily one of our Florida Highway Safety dudes stopped a few minutes after I pulled over. Otherwise, I would've been SOL for a bit.

·
Registered
172 Posts
That's bad, sorry to hear of your misfortune. I agree the jacking devices provided by car manufacturers are inexcusable as well as the jacking point locations and your situation is a perfect example. I know on our 2013 XC70 there isn't much space to fit a jack saddle even in the garage on a level surface. I always throw a small flat piece of scrap lumber in the with the jack to increase the jack base support area. As far as accessing the jacking point it's a crap shoot when you're out on the roadside. Best of luck with your broken bone, I hope you heal quickly without complications.

·
Registered
5,313 Posts
Ouch!

I always throw a small flat piece of scrap lumber in the with the jack to increase the jack base support area.
+1, along with a puncture repair kit, a 2' breaker bar with a 19mm socket, and a 12v 100psi air compressor.

Haven't had to save myself yet, but the compressor and puncture kit helped bail out a friend.

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
You have to be ultra careful with the factory jack (that comes with the spare donut kit). Must be 100% level ground, or use a sheet of wood underneath or a 2x4" (bring it with the Kit). This reminds me, I'm probably going to start looking for a good deal on the low profile aluminum jacks you can get at Harbor Freight or Princess Auto. see if I can get one for cheap that I can keep in the trunk just incase.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
Ouch indeed,, that was a tough break (pun intended) I have never had to use the factory jack so cannot comment on how well designed it is but most jacks that come with cars are made as cheaply as possible & ours appears to be no exception

I hope you heal quickly & completely

·
2,521 Posts
Damn. Ive had troubles even at home with a low profile jack to fit under the skirts. But I think making these will work for non-suspension work if you have a lip/are lowered

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Damn. Ive had troubles even at home with a low profile jack to fit under the skirts. But I think making these will work for non-suspension work if you have a lip/are lowered

I just use a 2x4" and a brick on the end as the stopper, gives me enough clearance for my low profile jack (not low enough).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts