SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe not a challenge for some but for I'm confused...

So, I'm changing the rear brakes on my 2012 S60 and I need to put the car on jackstands. To reveal the jack points, NOT the one you use for the stock scissor jack, I need to remove the plastic cover, BUT to do that I need to put the car up on a jack. So how do you do it then?

I can put the car up on the hydraulic (or scissor) jack and go under the car to remove the plastic cover, but that would be dangerous and defeat the whole point for a jackstand.

馃

Registered
I don't follow your statement. You jack the car up on the standard pinch weld point and put your jack stand on the second open point on the pinch weld exposed through the side skirt.

Registered
I don't follow your statement. You jack the car up on the standard pinch weld point and put your jack stand on the second open point on the pinch weld exposed through the side skirt.
I agree with p.rico

Or get one of these for your jack

Registered
I just use a hockey puck on the jack, works the same way and doesn鈥檛 mess up the seams

2014 Volvo S60, polestar tune, elevate rear sway bar, polestar endlinks, K&N filter, polestar 370mm brakes, Rdesign shocks, H&R springs, Polestar strut tower brace, Elevate exhaust... downpipe and intercooler to come this spring

Registered

Registered
I have a 2017 S60, will that part work for my car too and if so where do you get that jack attachment?
I don鈥檛 see why not. All of our cars have the same seam/ jack rail I seen it on eBay
Several versions on Amazon as well. I picked one up a while back and it's quickly become one of those "stupid little tools I can't imagine not having," like my spark plug socket with built in u joint or my little wheel hanging stud.

Registered
I bought a couple of those poly pads a while back and must have ordered ones with too small of a slot so it was a pain.
I recently ordered this one and it is way way easier to use since it's magnetic.

Also, to jack both sides in the rear I place the floor jack in back and jack the middle ( I use a piece of wood in betwen car and jack).

Registered
So if you wanted all four wheels up, what is sequential order you use of where to jack and where you place stands? Inquiring minds want to know (for Saturday's upcoming brake job)

Registered
Resurrecting an old thread.

I want to do my winter/summer wheel changeover myself. I was planning on getting a floor jack and the magnetic adapters that Almaz wrote about. The points for the jack are those rails that are exposed by the side skirts, right (one on the front and the rear-most of the two near the rear wheels)? The manual's picture is pretty bad and the other threads in this form aren't really viewable anymore. I don't need jack stands, right? I have a torque wrench with the right range for the studs/nuts.

Any suggestions on a good hydraulic jack? I had one trusted recommendation for this one: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwabe...ofile-2-ton-aluminum-floor-jack/011362sch01a/

Thanks.

Registered
No need for jack stands, I just use a low pro jack and a hockey puck to protect the side rails. Only takes 5 mins a side with the right tools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Registered

I want to do my winter/summer wheel changeover myself. I was planning on getting a floor jack and the magnetic adapters that Almaz wrote about. The points for the jack are those rails that are exposed by the side skirts, right (one on the front and the rear-most of the two near the rear wheels)? The manual's picture is pretty bad and the other threads in this form aren't really viewable anymore. I don't need jack stands, right? I have a torque wrench with the right range for the studs/nuts.

Any suggestions on a good hydraulic jack? I had one trusted recommendation for this one: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwabe...ofile-2-ton-aluminum-floor-jack/011362sch01a/

Thanks.
This is the one I bought back in 2017 and I'm quite happy with it. The one you point out is probably lighter.
I also figured that if you jack the front high enough you can get both the front and back tires off the ground in one shot.

Registered
No need for jack stands, I just use a low pro jack and a hockey puck to protect the side rails. Only takes 5 mins a side with the right tools

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
For what? Not sure what you're replying to, but if you're under the car, even for just a minute or 2, you absolutely should use jack stands. I still do even if I'm not going to be under the car. I love my floor jack, but I don't put all my trust in it.

Registered

Thanks.
That looks like a great jack. I have a couple of Harbor Freight ones and they work great.

IIRC you can lift the entire side of the car with just the front jack point, the one just aft of the front wheel. The jack points are reinforced but some folks like those adapters. Just make sure they will work with your jack. I got one that wasn't matched to the jack and it rocked a bit so was really no improvement than just going without it.

One item that is really helpful in tire changeover is a tire mounting stud (or whatever it's called) - makes it easier to line up lug holes.

Registered
I think @limey is referring to swapping winter/summer tires. You are really not getting under the car doing that.

Registered
Thanks, all. I ordered the lift I had linked to above, and a set of wheel chocks for safety, plus the magnetic pad that Almaz noted. I have copper anti-seize on hand.

My summer wheels/tires aren't marked for location, but have very few miles on them, so if I wonder if I got 'em located OK then at least it's only one trip to the dealer to check, instead of ferrying 4 mounted wheels/tires to the shop. Never could get four in the car's trunk and back seat all at once!

Registered
The hydraulic jack I got is pretty amazing; solid and easy to use. I recommend it if you need one (but the instructions about removing the shipping spring are totally inadequate; the wire clip spring has to be cut with a bolt cutter - and you must wear eye/face protection to avoid getting hit by the cut spring).

719986_x800.jpg

I did some reading up on the vertical pinch weld jack points and found that there are differing opinions on whether the vertical welded sections or the adjacent flat horizontal sections (the floor pan) are "supposed" to take the load. The supplied Volvo jack has a shallow metal U-channel that puts the load totally on the vertical pinch weld; the channel sides do not even come close to touching the horizontal sections and just keep the jack from moving laterally. The aluminum pinch weld pad that I bought from Amazon (Almaz noted it) fits perfectly when used on a floor jack. The width of the slot, .47", is identical to the width of the U-channel on the Volvo-supplied jack. The channel is deeper, .55", but not so deep that the sides touch the adjacent horizontal sections next to the vertical pinch weld; the weight is taken up by the nylon insert with the magnets. There are other metal ones available, but the channels are either wider or narrower than this one, and the rubber or urethane hockey puck style tend to not come with measurements.

61f2q-eQ5rL._AC_SL1281_.jpg

Registered
Hey JML, this looks like a pretty sweet floor jack. Enjoy.
By the way, I had bought two of those rubber pucks originally and they are a pain. Maybe good for the jack stands.
The Aluminum one you bought is great. You just stick it to he weld and raise the floor jack to meet it.
The magnets are very strong. On two separate occasions I forgot it attached to the car and drove around. Sure enough it was there waiting for me when I remembered it. You can't even see it walking by the car.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts