SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to my local tire-service shop and had my winter tires/rims taken off and the Pegs balanced-checked and installed for the summer driving season. As I was talking to the manager, I noticed that the technicans had simultaneously lifted the car at the right front passenger and left rear drivers side with two floor jacks while changing out the tires/rims. On the way home, there was a new droning sound coming from the rear end area at 54-55 mph. This sound was never there before! Someone please tell me that nothing was twisted/bent, during this two-wheel lifting, causing the noise.

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Re: Jacking/Lifting of the R? (Frederick)

There is a TNN about correct jacking and lifting of these, don't have the number close at hand but lifting any car by opposite corners sounds fishy at the best of times and would be a place that I would avoid.

·
Registered
14,434 Posts

I would bet that your summer tires are cupped and are causing the noise. Very common if the car is out of alignment. You may want to check your tires to see if the tread blocks are feathered. These cars get out of alignment very easily and handle so much better when properly aligned.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Re: Jacking/Lifting of the R? (JimLill)

Did you spray those orange? That's a really good idea.

·
Registered
117 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Frederick »
On the way home, there was a new droning sound coming from the rear end area at 54-55 mph. This sound was never there before! Someone please tell me that nothing was twisted/bent, during this two-wheel lifting, causing the noise.

This exact same noise is coming from my summer tires too!! I jacked my car up from the "jack" points that we are to use with the jack when changing out to the spare. My rosso's are pressed up to 36 psig, and I rotated them from last year by switching the fronts to the rear and vise-versa (keeping them on the same side).

Should I rotate them back around? I will take the service manager for a drive next week if it doesn't go away.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Jacking/Lifting of the R? (JimLill)

How does one determine if "oil canning" has happened? I've had my local Volvo dealership use floor jacks to lift each corner and change out tires but usually they do use a lift.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: Jacking/Lifting of the R? (Wayne T5)

On my way home tonight, the noise was less noticeable and seemed to be coming from the right-rear tire(P-zeros) that WAS slightly feathered(inside). I'm seeing my dealership next Wednesday and I'll ask them for their opinion. The strange thing is, they recommended the tire service center for my Pegs because they didn't have the appropriate tire equipement to mount and balance my winter/summer tires on my two sets of rims.

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Frederick »
How does one determine if "oil canning" has happened? I've had my local Volvo dealership use floor jacks to lift each corner and change out tires but usually they do use a lift.

Can't help on that...... the TNN deals with it.....

·
Registered
330 Posts
Re: Jacking/Lifting of the R? (mike_c70)

Quote, originally posted by mike_c70 »
Just wondering but what shop uses jacks still these days? All the places I have gone all have lifts.

You'd be surprised. The place I go to (an excellent shop if you're on LI) uses only floor jacks and they're hyper-fast, efficient and they know how to jack up anything. Better-suited to high-throughput---they commonly have 10+ cars in there at the same time. They've mounted/balanced four tires and had them on the car for me in under 30 minutes.

Last time I was in, they had a late model 911 and an 05 A8L alongside my R (for once Pelle did not rule the roost). Both owners had been going there for 20 years, knew the guys on a first-name basis, and absolutely swore by the shop. I've been going there for 6 years and wouldn't dream of going anywhere else.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Jacking/Lifting of the R? (Pelle Schultz)

My problem occured when their best tech guy started to change out the left front rim/tire while their other best tech started on the right front rim/tire, without the first one knowing it. The first guy quickly changes out the rim/tire and starts to do the left rear rim/tire. By the time the first guy realizes it, he has his side off of the ground while the second tech still has his side up. These two guys had the tires balanced-checked and mounted in less than 20 minutes. I've always slip them a sawbuck for their work. Except for this experience, I've been well-pleased with their work.

·
Registered
117 Posts

UPDATE:

I brought my car to the dealer today for the noise that has gotten worse in the rear. Started at 35 mph all they way past 80. It was a RIGHT REAR HUB assembly. They replaced it and all is good now

1 - 16 of 16 Posts