SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever used a generic J2534 pass through interface with VIDA to download software to their car? <p>It seems that the latest version of VIDA does not require the VCT2000, but can be used with any J2534 device. <p>It also seems as if one, can purchase the required software for new accessories (park assist, folding mirrors, audio, etc) or altered car features right online with a credit card. <p>The last time I checked, VCT2000 was going for around $2k...whereas a generic J2534 interface goes for about $399, and gives you full access to VIDA diagnostic data as well.<p>

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Re: J2534 pass through and VIDA (apl175)

Google search the forum about this, there has been a fair amount posted about ViDA/VADIS.<p>Volvo has superceded the VCT2000 with the DICE interface and I remember reading somewhere that VIDA works with a few other aftermarket interfaces. To my knowledge no one has posted anything about this yet on swedespeed.<p>Not surprisingly, Volvo's pricing for VIDA access is such that it doesn't save for doing just one vehicle; you're better off at the dealer.<p>Drew Tech makes some nice interfaces, but they generally are no less than Volvo's. They do seem to confirm what you say on their <A HREF="http://www.drewtech.com/about/" TARGET="_blank">website</A>.<p>Which generic J2534 boxes are you thinking of, the Drew Tech Mongoose?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: J2534 pass through and VIDA (MrTippy)

The Mongoose MFC is what I was considering...not as industrial as their more advanced product, but still a fully capable J2534 pass-thru for around $480 if I remember correctly.<br>While expensive, given the fact that with one's own laptop, it is a fully fledged OBD2 scanner, that will work with both generic OBD and VIDA software, makes it a bit more justifiable.<p>I believe the availability of J2534 pass-through was mandated by government action, to ensure that independent repair shops, and "enthusiasts" had availability to the same software and ECU flashing capabilities that dealers had.<p>That being said, it is a rather expensive proposition.<br>$480 for the J2534 device<br>$115 for a three day subscription to full VIDA (includes everything including the download application)<br>plus the license cost for the downloaded vehicle software.<p>I think it's more the convenience of being able to install accessories over a leisurely weekend, and not have to leave the car at the dealership, and worry about getting to work etc. But still I suppose the cost is substantially more $$$ than paying a dealer $50 for some downloaded software.<p>Oh well...money better spent saving for an OSD.....enough of my rambling.

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
does anyone know what version of VIDA you need to use these SAE pass through devices? good grief if that works screw using $800 DICE tools!

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Re: (inteller)

I've got some info about this on my other computer, I'll try to remember to post it when I get back to it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I'm not quite sure of this, but I believe that the J2534 device can only be used for software upgrades. Not diagnostics.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Re: (rkam)

This news release on 2010A vida<br>says it is J2534-2 compatible.<br>Page 5 <br><A HREF="https://www.volvotechinfo.com/index.cfm?event=viewFile&filename=VIDA%20Release%20News%202010A%202%20en_GB_Corrected.pdf" TARGET="_blank">https://www.volvotechinfo.com/...d.pdf</A><p>Many cables seem to be J2534-1 or J2534.<p>Any one with experience sourcing a cheap cable and getting full usage with J2534-2 and VIDA?

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Re: (Swede_Erik)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>VolvoTechInfo</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Vehicle Communication J2534-2<br>From VIDA 2010A the vehicle communication is supporting the standard J2534-2 for software<br>download to control modules on both CAN HS (Controller Area Network High Speed) and CAN<br>MS (Controller Area Network Middle Speed).</TD></TR></TABLE><p>I take this to mean that VIDA will work with J2534 compatible devices for downloading software, as far as I know, Volvo has not enabled the fault tracing.<p><A HREF="http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=1286" TARGET="_blank">Motor magazine; 2534 Reprogramming: Time To Get On Board? </A>; interesting info about how software downloads is a profit center for the dealers.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Re: (MrTippy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>MrTippy</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><br>interesting info about how software downloads is a profit center for the dealers.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Things are starting to change:<br><A HREF="http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=139155" TARGET="_blank">http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=139155</A><p>Still wanting to know about sourcing a cheap J2534-2<br>Anyone?<br>

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
All I see is J2534 & J2534-I; they go for about $300. I haven't bought anything yet; but I too would prefer to avoid the bluetooth/DiCE if possible (i.e. no reduction in functionality).

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
those won't work. and for the price you pay for a -2 device you can just get a DICE unit that will do everything to your car and more. generic devices can only read codes and do ECU upgrades, they can't upgrade software in modules, so no SUM recalibration for instance.

·
Registered
55 Posts
where's the current best place to buy a DICE? Price-wise that is...and what are your experiences with the clones? Good / bad / other?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
those won't work. and for the price you pay for a -2 device you can just get a DICE unit that will do everything to your car and more. generic devices can only read codes and do ECU upgrades, they can't upgrade software in modules, so no SUM recalibration for instance.
Heck, even at $300, I think I'd just add another $200 or so and go for one of the DiCE units on ebay the more I think about it. I'm just not that confident I can get the thing to work properly especially since your info thread got closed because the "you can't do that" brigade came out in force (pretty frustrating).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not sure where anyone is with this, but i found this:
"7 VEHICLE COMMUNICATION TOOLS
To be able to perform diagnostics read outs, diagnostic fault tracing and software downloads, VIDA needs to be connected to the vehicle through a communication tool. This device will transfer data from the VIDA PC to the correct receiver in the vehicle.
VIDA supports DiCE and J2534 devices. Volvo Car Corporation recommends DiCE for reprogramming.
7.1 DiCE
DiCE is an abbreviation of Diagnostic Communication Equipment. DiCE uses a Bluetooth connection to transfer information between VIDA All-in-one and the vehicle. This solution was chosen because it provides more flexibility. A USB cable can be used as an alternative to the Bluetooth connection.
Please note that no third party Bluetooth dongles can be used with DiCE, only VCC DiCE equipment can be used.
7.2 J2534 devices
For all MY2004 and later vehicles equipped with OBD and reprogramming capability, manufacturers shall comply with SAE J2534.
The hardware used to validate VIDA's compliance with J-2534 can be purchased separately from third-party suppliers. The validation was done using the following J-2534 pass-thru devices:
• Actia Passthru+ XS
• CarDAQ2534

For more information regarding these devices, please contact the respective manufacturer."

Found here: http://www.s80.dk/Billeder/VIDA_Requirements_Guidelines_105EN08.pdf

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
I have used the mongoose and drewtech. the mongoose did not do much....but the drewtech did everything (cept for wireless/bluetooth) that the DICE would.

·
Registered
8,730 Posts
support for these genric devices has increased in later versions of VIDA (2011B) so my previous statements about limited functionality are no longer true.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hi together,

have anybody tested the "Mongoose for volvo" Dongle? It's a very attractive price and it will delivered with a Vida Version 2010(A or B).

I have one since last week but it don't run with 2010D, and 2012B.
In Vida the device is available, but if i scan the car (for example the VIN) a long time happens nothing...

It will be very interesting if anybody have this Dongle.

Thanky a lot.

Daniel

·
Registered
240 Posts
I recently purchased a "2012 Newest V7.00.020 MINI VCI V7 for TOYOTA Cable & Software TIS Techstream" for $29
With MVCI Volvo drivers it is discovered by Vida and Vida will try to use it, but on most Volvos it will fail I believe.
It probably doesn't support all the communication methods needed to scan all controllers in a car, and even with a DiCE this will then normally prevent you from connecting to one specific controller.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts