SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Volvo above average. And Toyota near the bottom!

uk dependability JD Powers.jpg

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Toyota apparently didn`t pay the hostage ransom money, and Macron used some of his re-election campaign funds. JD Power has become a joke.
A couple of unsubstantiated accusations there.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It's OK, just so long if you treat Consumer Reports with the same contempt.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I don`t, but JD Powers has classifications that are derived to help a manufacturer look better. Like "initial build quality" WTF is that? To show that your car doesn`t go to the dealer in the first 3 months? But goes back 6 times in the next year. It`s a joke, who cares!

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Every review by CR that I've seen about a Volvo model I've owned was way out to lunch. CR should stay with reviewing kitchen appliances.

No the JD Powers VDS review is not about long term reliability. But Toyota is near the bottom, and Volvo is above average. Sorry that offends you, but pick your own survey. It's up to you.

From JD Powers on the VDS survey;

"The study measures the number of problems experienced per 100 vehicles (PP100) during the past 12 months by original owners of three-year-old model-year vehicles. The 2019 study measures problems in model year 2016 vehicles. A lower score reflects higher quality, and the study covers 177 specific problems grouped into eight major vehicle categories."

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yes, I've seen that one too. So JD Powers is now valid in your eyes? ...... I've always suspected that these reliability ratings reflect more national personality than true reliability. Toyota/Lexus owners in the US, and probably in the US only, are very enthusiastic about the reliability of their cars, and are very vested in the idea they have a reliable car. So maybe they forget some repairs they've had along the way. ........ A few years ago Tesla was getting very high reliability ratings from CR, then suddenly they cratered in CR's ratings. The earlier high ratings were due probably to enthusiasm for the brand, then as the owners became fed up, they started telling the truth to CR.

And insofar as comparing a UK survey to a US survey, I'll trust British drivers over American drivers any time. I driven in both the UK and the US, UK drivers are much better.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
In my eyes the only thing valid is it`s even more of a sham. If what you say is true "I've always suspected that these reliability ratings reflect more national personality than true reliability" than JD Power is utterly useless. Seriously you believe what you say here "So maybe they forget some repairs they've had along the way". If they are that enthused and vested, why not just forget all repairs.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let's just say the JD Powers survey for America is accurate, for the sake of argument. That means I'll have one problem with with my Toyota/Lexus in 3 years, or I would have 2 problems with my Volvo in 3 years. Sorry, that's not enough for me to buy a Toyota. Especially given Toyota's less than stellar recent crash tests with the IIHS.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
So now you have agreed the JD Powers is a joke and it`s not accurate. Obviously I own a Volvo too and have never even given JD Powers a thought. I do think that putting UK JD Powers out there as representative of reliability is self-serving and underhanded, just like JD Powers. No wonder you get along with them so well.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
No. I think ALL of these surveys are of limited value. That's why I posted the UK 2019 JD Powers VDS report in the first place. To show there are vast contradictions in these surveys. Prior to 2016, and the launch of all-new XC90, CR's reliability reports had Volvo all over the place, one year showing good reliability and some years showing bad reliability, probably because they had such a limited sampling size for Volvo. There are people who, for what ever reason, hate Volvo and they spike the ball when a reliability survey comes out and shows Volvo to have bad reliability. There is no absolute proof with JD Powers or CR. I'm just showing you can prove what you want with these surveys. Do you understand now?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
You are backtracking. To do what you say now you should have shown the UK and US dependability ratings together. Not just the UK ratings and emphasize how bad Toyota looked and praise Volvo. Ever wonder where or how JD Powers makes money? You seem to like quotes.
.“There's a sucker born every minute.”
― P.T. Barnum

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Sorry I offended you with my post, but I'm not sure why. I just wanted to contradict other reliability reports, and I was successful at that. I've seen so many other posts on surveys here at SwedeSpeed that show bad Volvo reliability, I thought it was time for a counter balance. Do you understand yet? I am not backtracking on that. I stand by all my posts here.

A little digression. My mother once had a 2001 Lexus RX 300, while my daughter had a 2002 V70. My mother had far more problems with her Lexus than we had with with my daughter's V70. The 2002 V70 only had one major repair, which was on the suspension, and we kept it until 189,000 miles were on the clock. I've owned 5 Volvos for me, my wife, and my daughters, and they've all been reliability dreams. Does that offend you too? My mother was kind of disgusted with her Lexus, and never bought another one. My only experience with a Toyota/Lexus car. Nope, sorry, I'd never be a sucker for a crappy Toyota or Lexus.

How about this one? Volvo #1 in 2017???? Any more baseless accusations on how Volvo got this rating?

2017 JD Powers UK Vehicle Dependability Study.jpg

I hope you keep replying, because that just keeps pushing this thread to the top, where more people can see the JD Powers survey.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I`m not offended. Your use of UK JD Powers is based on your assumptions of UK drivers attitudes. They can`t be used to delineate between the two and doesn`t make any sense anyway since we live in the USA. The first three letters of assumptions is about what yours are worth. How about this one Lexus #1
ATTACH=CONFIG]51561[/ATTACH]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think that proves my point. Take all surveys with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 21 Posts