SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I live in the city now and the car is basically a once or twice a month toy, i've decided to make it more fun.
A buddy of mine recently totaled his AMAZING 2011 M3, and i was able to buy his side grilles for dirt cheap. After mingling with my body shop guy, we decided to fit these bad boys in!
My idea is to route the CAI feed through there for a true cold air feed.

Sorry for the single photo - will post details of the installation later.

I tried peeling the M3 decal from the side and was able to get most of it off - i'll propably but an R there

Thoughts?

I really dig it - it makes me stand out a bit more....

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I Like!
But as far as using them for a CAI? Having a CAI in front creates a ram air effect.
IDK but depending on position, you could possibly be in a vacuum there.:confused:
Cheers!

·
Registered
844 Posts
Very cool, now take it out in your snow storm you got today! It looks great!

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I hate to bust your bubble, but if your IC is working properly you don't need a CAI just need to relieve the pressure that the stock air box makes. That can be done by simply removing the air box cover or making a large slit in it similar to the Eurosport Tuning intake setup. Although those M3 gills looks pretty interesting it's not my cup of tea. It's borderline rice.

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
Love it, awaiting details - maybe close up of the cut out.

Also, wow, its low! Maybe cut the inner skin too so that the engine can vent its heat out but a CAI won't work unless you build a scoop on side fenders to catch flowing air.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Agreed on the vac. aspect - I've always wanted to add a simple flapper (think of your laundry vents) to allow the car to suck more air after the turbo is spooling and the motor can truly benefit from "unrestricted" airflow to the (closed) air filter box.

Looks better than I expected, that's for sure. How do you drive in NY with your car that slammed though???

·
Registered
3,319 Posts
How do you drive in NY with your car that slammed though???
I noticed he has TME springs, never seen a car that low with those springs - considering those are the same springs I want.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
I kinda like it, but the problem as I see it are the huge numbers of morons with plastic stick-on AutoZone vents. They have them on the hood, the fenders, usually misaligned and looking bad. A few years ago before they got big, I'd say your idea was unique and kinda neat, even if the rest of the car isn't clean enough for my tastes. However, with all the plastic sitck-on crap people have nowadays, I think you'd get lumped in with them.

That said, good luck.

·
6,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ah crap, I forgot it's April 1st. You screwing with us!
BINGO!!! hahaha I owe you a beer if/when I see you!!!!!!!

come on - i've got more taste than that - i'd never do anything like that to my caR!! lol But it surprises me how many people were actually liking it!!!
If i wasnt leaving for Thailand in a min I'd keep you guys gessing for a few hours longer!! lol

btw, this is the original photo (the car sits lower now since the springs have settled quite a lot since a year ago)

·
Registered
844 Posts
lol, great one. I love April fools day!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.