SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I know this sound is coming from one of the accessories or tensioners, but what part is most likely? It so friggin loud I cant tell what part it is with my mechanic stethoscope.

If you guess what it is you win major props and a soggy used S60 cup holder! How sweet is that!

Im going to replace the timing belt, tensioner, idler, water pump & serpentine tensioner pulley. I don't want to put it all back together and find out its the power steering or something.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
well if you are replacing the timing belt kit, do also the auxiliary idle pulley and belt tensioner.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know right!

I know its not bottom end or cams so im not that worried. Those power steering pumps are super expensive though.

Any idea how I can isolate it with the noise being so loud, bouncing and reverberating off of everything.

All fluids are full and look good BTW. It really sounds like a roller bearing. I can hear a change in the sound level when I turn on the AC so I doubt its the timing belt hardware. It must be something on the serpentine. I guess Ill take it off and see if the engine is quiet just running on the timing gear for a few seconds.

Im still open to guesses.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lol Afabula! It does sound like when I put way too much food in the disposal.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Verdict!!

Found that the tensioner pulley bearing was on its way out. In addition the rollers in the alternator are a little noisy and the AC pulley was making a ton of noise too! Looks like the power steering pump is still good... woo hoo :(

Lucky me I also found both outer front CV joint boots had just split. I guess I got lucky on that one....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts