SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I made the previous thread purely for research, I thought it'd be in order to make a new one for the product itself. I was able to find a guy that makes solid steering rack bushings for 2000-2011 Ford Focii. He sells the Delrin bushings for $45 and the aluminum bushings for $35. I do not know if this would be the price for the Volvo set. Currently he is going to be making a set for my AWD V50, however I believe that the same bushings will work for all V50's, C30's, and S40's. He is going to make the first set (maybe) sometime next week when the rack I sent him arrives.

As of this very moment, this thread is to just here to see who is interested in buying a set.

For now, I'll leave you a picture of his finished Focus products.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Sign me up if they fit. Are you going to try both types? I hope this helps with the numb steering.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I'll take a set. I'd bet the focus ones fit just fine...

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Never heard of the stock ones going bad. Only complaints about the numb steering feedback.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Is this a performance thing or because the OEM ones are known for going bad? Or both?
It's kind of neither. It's for more feedback and road feel through the steering wheel. The aluminum ones are obviously going to be the stiffer of the two. However, it can be too harsh for a daily driver. That's why he makes the Delrin set as well. It is almost as stiff but it takes away a lot of harshness.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I could be interested in the Delrin.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The steering rack has been delivered. Now just waiting on him to make the first set.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I recently purchased a 2007 V50 T5 AWD 6spd. I am collecting pieces for a suspension rebuild and would be interested in a set of Delrin steering rack bushings. Thed, are your talking about lower control arm bushings? I can not find a picture of anything like you have. I would greatly appreciate it if you could direct me to one of those blow up line drawings the parts sites use. thanks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I recently purchased a 2007 V50 T5 AWD 6spd. I am collecting pieces for a suspension rebuild and would be interested in a set of Delrin steering rack bushings. Thed, are your talking about lower control arm bushings? I can not find a picture of anything like you have. I would greatly appreciate it if you could direct me to one of those blow up line drawings the parts sites use. thanks.
If you're talking about doing the lower control arm bushings, it's just easiest to buy new lower control arms. New arms will come with new bushings and ball joints attached, making it an easy item to change out. These are for the power steering rack itself, there are no diagrams to show this from Volvo.

This the diagram for an '04-09 Mazda3, which uses the same chassis as our cars. The bushings being developed here would be #13 in this picture.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Exactly!

When will the felting ones be available. I would like to change out during my next oil change.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
http://www.tascaparts.com/auto-part...ne/front-suspension-cat/front-suspension-scat
check your chassis number for the size balljoint you'd need.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just as an FYI, this is more than likely going to require dropping the front subframe in order to put these in. Getting to the rack bolts isn't hard but being able to remove and install the bushings may require the removal of the rack itself.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright guys, the time has come! It's time to start taking orders.

Prices:
Delrin - $50
Aluminum - $40

I do believe that the prices include shipping. PM me and I'll forward you to the guy who is machining them.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Just as an FYI, this is more than likely going to require dropping the front subframe in order to put these in. Getting to the rack bolts isn't hard but being able to remove and install the bushings may require the removal of the rack itself.
Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys,

Sorry it took so long to get on here, I am the one who makes the bushings. Feel free to look up my reputation as gun_runner on Focusfanatics.com and focaljet.com, as well as facebook.com/alexthemachinist

I do not own a volvo, but have always respected their performance, and loved their style. I do however know there is a need for something in the steering system of the car, to give back some feel, and i am glad to be able to provide that.

There bushings have increased the feedback through the wheel, as well as give better control through the corner. Replacing the rubber with delrin or aluminum, prevents the rack from loading up, then releasing after a delay, which kills your accuracy. It also prevents the wheels from twitching back and for under high speed cornering.

Differences in materials:

Aluminum - Biggest improvement in rigidity over stock rubber bushing. Best choice for race or rally car. Will outlast the life of your car. May cause extra harmonic vibration felt through the wheel.

Delrin - Big improvement in rigidity over stock rubber bushing. Best choice for aggressive daily driver or weekend racer. Extremely durable and will probably never wear out under street driving or moderate racing. May cause a minimal amount of extra harmonic vibration felt through the wheel. (Delrin is an acetal resin that is similar in stiffness to nylon, and is known for its resistance to wear.)

Pricing:
Delrin - $50 shipped plus paypal fees
Aluminum - $40 Shipped plus paypal fees
My usual turnaround time is one week.

You can contact me here or my facebook page via PM, text me on my phone, or email me.

Phone - (626) 203-2058
Email - [email protected]
Facebook - Facebook.com/alexthemachinist

I am a machinist, and am constantly looking for new projects. Everything i do is done on manual/conventional machines, and is done in very short runs. Everything i do is very low profit, due to my low prices, but if I have to sign up as a seller, and pay a fee to sell here, i will not be able to continue here. I hope i can help you guys out here, and get some good projects going. If you guys have any other requests, please let me know!

I will be creating a thread here to sell these, and will post it soon.

Thanks,
Alex

1 - 20 of 35 Posts