SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's been a while! NEED A/C help! + destroyed wheel...

Hello all,

I haven't posted about my R on here in a bit so figured I'd make an update. Good news and bad news...

Good

1. 18,000 miles since the new motor and GTX 3071r gen2 were installed and it was driven home in September. NO MECHANICAL ISSUES even with my daily HARD abuse. Takes everything I throw at it for the most part. Countless kills and dropped jaws on my pretty regular 8 hour hike between Nashville and Flint.

Bad...

1. A/C is struggling in this Nashville heat and humidity.. Just in general I guess. Long story short. The autozone special a/c can worked for a month or 2 then all leaked out. Dropped it off at a shop to diagnose. Flushed and added refrigerant+dye. After looking around they came to the conclusion that it is a blockage in the system and not a leak that is the main issue. They said where it should be getting wet and cold with condensation, it is just getting very hot and dry. But it will blow cold until too much head pressure, so most likely not compressor? They wanted to replace the entire system, lines and all the big stuff for around 2,200. Hell nah. Not right away anyways.

-Question... - Are there any typical hoses or valves or locations on these cars where this can occur? Now that a decent diag is done. What can or should I replace first to attempt to remedy the issue?

I am busy with work and whatnot for a bit but I will try and respond to any A/C suggestions as soon as I can. THANKS IN ADVANCE.

2.... Not a car issue, but a knee deep pothole issue... I'll let the pics do the talking

Yesterday, after driving 10.5 hours from Northern MI to Nashville all day. Last half hour before bed. BOOM CRASH thud thud thud... at 1 am.

Shop I towed it to says mayyyybe fixable and referred a good wheel shop near town. Dropping it off later today to see if its salvageable. No cracks. Said 85 if they can fix, free if they can't. Might as well try. Also getting 2 Michelin PSS tires. There goes my coilover fund.... :facepalm:

Also,

Here are some pics from an unexpected offroading experience.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Wow, poor rims, they should be fixable. I know a guy in Pa who can fix them right. I wonder if struts held up from the hit.
As for a/c, replacing entire system doesn't make any sense. Wonder how they determined the system was clogged if you have to add refrigerant to help with cooling. If a/c is loosing pressure, definitely a leak. The most common leaking part is the evaporator which is not visible until dash is out. Something else to look into is CCM.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, poor rims, they should be fixable. I know a guy in Pa who can fix them right. I wonder if struts held up from the hit.
As for a/c, replacing entire system doesn't make any sense. Wonder how they determined the system was clogged if you have to add refrigerant to help with cooling. If a/c is loosing pressure, definitely a leak. The most common leaking part is the evaporator which is not visible until dash is out. Something else to look into is CCM.
Thanks for the A/C tips! As soon as this pothole debacle is all situated, ill be looking into the evaporator first thing. And since the refrigerant is still full of dye it should be easy to find a leak. Not 100% on how they came up with a blockage, but seemed to make sense as they described it. Compressor would kick on and run for 5-10 minutes, then as pressure rose the pressure switch would kick it off. And the line that is usually cold and wet, would get hot and dry. Maybe a blockage by those symptoms, and also a leak somewhere else? Ill find out soon enough..

2 new Michelin PS4 tires on the way. And the shop was able to straighten out the wheel they said. But not 100% it will hold air so the attempt was free. If it holds great, if not I'll have to grab a new FC04a.

A little nervous getting only 2 new tires, but I did some reading on that with the AWD system, and apparently on 03+, the AWD system can handle a decent difference as long as left to right on the same axle is equal. So I will be putting the new tires up front to hopefully wear them down quicker to even.. Any objections?

Offroading with winglets? LOL.
Guts!
Just the cheap STI lip so I felt ok giving it a shot, only road to the air BnB I booked... Probably 2 miles of dirt road like that. Ruts that I would bottom the frame out if I didn't ride it right lol.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I don't recall what kind of a/c compressor is on 06 models and if they suffer from clutch wear gap issues as P80 and earlier P2 do. Basically, with worn clutch, compressor runs ok for a few minutes. When it get's hot, clutch no longer engages until compressor cools off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts