SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a while since ive been on here, nice to see there are still some good topics floatin around. so long story short, i have a T5 FWD...i drove my friends WRX AWD the other day though and that handling is...incredible. My cravings for AWD have begun. Is there any way for a FWD to AWD conversion? I'm aware it will be a major job and pretty pricey too but ive got some extra money to spend on my car. any info/general price range would be appreciated.

In other news...
Wheels have been installed and they are great, black 18" Kazera KZ-A with PZERO Nero's. although i did get like brush marks from the carwash...i guess im hand washing form here on out.

I also got rear ended the other day...damage isnt too noticable but i need a new bumper. guy who hit me is taking responsibilty though as he should. It was a big yellow dodge ram too. The volvo was a champ though, it has a creased bumper and the light got pushed in a little bit but other than that its fine. the dodge unfortunately got its bumper pushed back into the wheels and couldnt drive off so easily.

The write up has inspired me to go with the HK for my ipod i think. i have gift certifacates to best buy so i think im gonna go with XM as well seeing as my family has an account i can add onto for cheap.

a few little issues that are gonna make me take it back into to the dealer include:
squeaky clutch...only when its hot out though. anyone experience this?
radio is spitting out cd's again...wondering why seeing as i already got the software update

i think thats about all ive got for you...I'll post some pics of my wheels and exhaust soon. any feedback is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Re: its been a while. a few questions. (slakin)

FWD to AWD conversion? i think the cost, even if it was technically feasible, would far outweigh that of the loss u would make in selling ur car and buying a AWD T5.

also, dont think that the AWD of the volvo, will automatically give u the handling of the WRX.. they are fundamentally different AWD systems and react differently to driving conditions.

·
Registered
694 Posts

Quote, originally posted by slakin »
squeaky clutch...only when its hot out though. anyone experience this?

If you're talking about the pedal, yeah, I have a squeaky one too. I haven't noticed if it has any relation to temperature. But it comes and goes. I've been too lazy to WD40 it. It's quite at the moment.

I also agree with Mistral about the conversion. Not only that, you're probably bound to have problems even after it's installed. Oh something else came to mind. The trunk floor of the AWD is raised to accomodate the Haldex, and I think the gas tank is smaller in the AWD for the same reason.

·
Registered
323 Posts
i've had the clutch issue... infact only last week when i had the car serviced, i told them to sort it out and they didnt (amongst other things!) but now i'm selling the car to get a 2.4 geartronic s40 so it wont bother me as of tomorrow.

as for spitting CDs... seen this a few times on here, most have had to have their unit replaced from what i remember (that or it was software but im pretty sure it was replace).

·
Registered
135 Posts
Re: its been a while. a few questions. (Mistral)

Quote, originally posted by Mistral »
FWD to AWD conversion? i think the cost, even if it was technically feasible, would far outweigh that of the loss u would make in selling ur car and buying a AWD T5.

Amen.

But anyway, when I had my WRX it understeered quite significantly especially off-throttle. I actually think (stock vs. stock) the S40 feels more neutral. I bet a stiffer rear swaybar on the S40 and you'll have most of what you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
9,303 Posts

Quote, originally posted by slakin »
My cravings for AWD have begun. Is there any way for a FWD to AWD conversion? I'm aware it will be a major job and pretty pricey too but ive got some extra money to spend on my car. any info/general price range would be appreciated.

Sure, your dealer will have the conversion, maybe even in stock. Just be sure to speak to sales, not service. There is a core charge.

Seriously, no way, no how. The AWD is designed-in, with transmission, angle gear, driveshaft, Haldex, the entire rear-end, brake and traction control electronics, exhaust, raised rear chassis floor, springs and suspension, and other changes. Really.

Tom.

·
Registered
3,952 Posts
Re: its been a while. a few questions. (tmtalpey)

$10 should get the "AWD" emblem at least. while I didn't spend $10 on this fwd to awd conversion , I did put down about $20 on an "V50 R " conversion. heck $15 will even get you a V8 conversion from the XC90. and IF anyone has problems with it , tell them this is your favorite vegetable juice. not sure if a V50 R should have the V8 at this time.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts