SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a few weeks overdue, but a lot of it is due in part to me possibly suffering buyer's remorse and trying to get my R back!

Anyway, it's been fun, but I've decided to move on to something different. I usually only keep cars for 1-1.5 years due to boredom, but the R lasted me 3.5 years and over 46,000 miles.

When it was stock (about a month after purchase)

Finding a replacement was tough. I test drove:

2009 Audi S5
2010 Audi S4
2015 Subaru WRX
2009 Porsche Cayenne Base (manual)
2013 Volvo S60 RD
2016 Jeep Wrangler
2008 Lexus ISF
2009 BMW 335i
2008 Audi Q7 4.2
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8

And I bought....

I'm sure a lot of you guys think I'm crazy for this, but nothing I looked at had the charm of an R, except this. Moreover, the sense of camaraderie in the Wrangler Community is insane! It's also kind of nice being able to do U-Turns again. The unfortunate thing is that I'll probably spend more modifying the Jeep then I spent on the R (I was going to get a Rubicon, but I got a loaded Sport to save money towards some AEV Pintlers and suspension).

Well, it's been fun. My R is now living in the Tacoma, Washington Area - I don't think the owner is on the forums (eBay Sale).

Thanks Again - this is a great forum...try to keep it that way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm sure a lot of you guys think I'm crazy for this, but nothing I looked at had the charm of an R, except this.
That is a great Boulder vehicle. I had a couple friends with those when I lived out there, good times going skiing and in Moab. Have fun!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Glad you were able to sell the R.. I remember it being for sale for a while. I was fortunate to sell it within a few days of posting her. These cars def don't pull the interest as when we all first got them.. A little surprised you test drove those cars and none of them tickled your fancy.. I knew exactly what i wanted when it was time to move on and i picked it up a few weeks before selling the R....

2011 USB ISF....

You probably would have enjoyed the 2010+ ISF over the 2008.. huge improvements...

pic of my old R one of my favorites...

I do miss her but I'm super happy over the ISF!!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Congrats on the sale, and welcome to the Wrangler community. Be sure to waive if you see me in my 90 YJ around the I-95 corridor! :D

·
Registered
423 Posts
Glad you were able to sell the R.. I remember it being for sale for a while. I was fortunate to sell it within a few days of posting her. These cars def don't pull the interest as when we all first got them.. A little surprised you test drove those cars and none of them tickled your fancy.. I knew exactly what i wanted when it was time to move on and i picked it up a few weeks before selling the R....

2011 USB ISF....

You probably would have enjoyed the 2010+ ISF over the 2008.. huge improvements...

It's funny how R owners usually progress towards similar "next" cars.. I saw a sweet IS-F on the way back from a KoP swede meet who happened to be in front of me at the pumps, and the owner said that he used to own a R!

Beautiful car! :)

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

2011 USB ISF....

Thanks! It took awhile, but I'll admit - my starting price was a little steep, plus a major thing that turned a lot of potential buyers away, was that I needed the car up until a week prior to the delivery of my new car, which the delivery date was unknown. I drove the IS-F, and there was a lot I liked (styling, POWER, handling, etc), but I ultimately decided in the end I wanted something with ground clearance to take up to the mountains. Moreover, RWD in Colorado is a little scary...especially with that much power.

Congrats on the sale, and welcome to the Wrangler community. Be sure to waive if you see me in my 90 YJ around the I-95 corridor! :D
Thanks, but I'm in Colorado now...I doubt this thing will see much of Maryland or the east coast in general!

·
Registered
602 Posts
Wow that is one clean looking R! Someone is a happy new owner I'm sure. What mods did you do to the car over your ownership, or did you keep it stock?

Being that you had the sedan, I think you made a good call on the Jeep. It will give you great utility, be different enough to be exciting as well as being a perfect car for your area. When you get tired of it, you can start a search for a clean used V70R!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Man, go back and inquire about that Blue S70 parked near your jeep.....looks like it might be a '98.......(evil laugh) Probably a GLT but they sure do last a long time.....

This is a few weeks overdue, but a lot of it is due in part to me possibly suffering buyer's remorse and trying to get my R back!

Anyway, it's been fun, but I've decided to move on to something different. I usually only keep cars for 1-1.5 years due to boredom, but the R lasted me 3.5 years and over 46,000 miles.

When it was stock (about a month after purchase)

Finding a replacement was tough. I test drove:

2009 Audi S5
2010 Audi S4
2015 Subaru WRX
2009 Porsche Cayenne Base (manual)
2013 Volvo S60 RD
2016 Jeep Wrangler
2008 Lexus ISF
2009 BMW 335i
2008 Audi Q7 4.2
2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8

And I bought....

I'm sure a lot of you guys think I'm crazy for this, but nothing I looked at had the charm of an R, except this. Moreover, the sense of camaraderie in the Wrangler Community is insane! It's also kind of nice being able to do U-Turns again. The unfortunate thing is that I'll probably spend more modifying the Jeep then I spent on the R (I was going to get a Rubicon, but I got a loaded Sport to save money towards some AEV Pintlers and suspension).

Well, it's been fun. My R is now living in the Tacoma, Washington Area - I don't think the owner is on the forums (eBay Sale).

Thanks Again - this is a great forum...try to keep it that way.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not trying to resurrect a thread, but my R spoiled me and my Jeep sucked. Aside from just not being my style (I'm not an off-roader), it was stupid unreliable, poorly built, and the dealers are terrible.

After 5 Months/3,800 Miles/7 Dealer Visits, I cut my losses and sold my Wrangler and got this:

Selling the R was a terrible decision, given how much I put into it and how much I missed it. I can't buy another because it would be nothing like my first R. With that being said, I'm pretty happy with my current ride!

·
Super Moderator
8,699 Posts
Wranglers are just dumb unless you're using them for their main purpose. As an on-road DD, they are trash.

The new car, however, looks beautiful! Love that interior color!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Selling the R was a terrible decision, given how much I put into it and how much I missed it. I can't buy another because it would be nothing like my first R. With that being said, I'm pretty happy with my current ride!
Those words could not be any truer! I had to sell my R for school, but man I took a hit on not only the $ I put into it but also the sentiment. Some say I can get back into an R when I graduate, but goodluck to me trying to find another one dialed in as such, and more so I'd really just want to start a new chapter rather than rewrite it.

I've driven the new S4 and rode in modified ones. You've made a good choice, sir :) Not as unique, but a worthy replacement! Happy Driving and if you're going to be tinkering with it, Happy Modding! *inserts plug for EST* :rolleyes:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Wranglers are just dumb unless you're using them for their main purpose. As an on-road DD, they are trash.

The new car, however, looks beautiful! Love that interior color!
Agreed, I'll never understand the people who DD a wrangler... Such a great car off road but the worst car ever on road or even worse as a DD.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
^Much better than the Jeep, but completely understand missing the R. I would as well.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Now that's more like it. Looks like a fine example of an S4. Congrats! I still think about how nicely your old R rode and pulled though. Definitely makes me want to hang onto mine.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
Agreed, I'll never understand the people who DD a wrangler... Such a great car off road but the worst car ever on road or even worse as a DD.
If you're gonna DD an unreliable offroadable car at least DD one that's comfortable... Like a Range Rover!

My only gripe with the S4 is the supercharger and the nav/radio display looking like a weird afterthought. Seats look very SAABesque.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Not that you value my opinion much, but I think you made the right call. When I initially scrolled down to reveal your R replacement, I pulled my face. Sure, Jeeps have a place, but not in my driveway.
Hope you find more happiness in the S. Is there a SS-like community for the Auto Union Autos?

Edit, now you've gone from an R to an S, obviously your next car must be a T. Maybe double it and get an Audi TT. U is going to be tough though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts