SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Re: It's a Screamer, Literally (NJdiver)

You might have a lemon. Or a lime. Tangerine maybe? I'm thinking grapefruit - slight sour taste, but excellent color and good overall flavor.

Did any message come on the display along with the wrench? Did it sound like it was coming from a wheel or the engine bay? Does it only happen at high speeds (does it go away when you slow down?) And how come you didn't pull over when something like that happens?!?!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Re: It's a Screamer, Literally (gascos80)

Quote, originally posted by gascos80 »
I have simpler and less dramatic explanations:

2. Many roads in US have such surface treatment that produce howling-screeching sound, especially - along the shoulders, to wake the unattentive drivers up. Next time, when you hear this sound observe the road surface and either slow down or speed up to see, if the tone and the loudness change with the speed. Then - it is the road surface - for sure.

If it would be a bearing - it would be more continues and would become more and more prominent over the time.

Gascos - Very good explanation - I think you might have something here. Maybe the warning indicator was just a service reminder, and the howling sound could have been because of the rippled roadside or possibly a very loud road in a construction area.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Re: (NJdiver)

Quote, originally posted by NJdiver »
Saturdays howl was 30+ seconds so its getting worse. Diagnosed as Cage Bearing/Seal in the AWD. Now we try and get them to hear it-I'm going to record on my phone next time so we can document it. In the meantime my 2 week road trip to who knows where? is on hold till mid July so they figure it out. I told the tech I'm not up for sitting on the side of a road in the mid-west if the seal fails and the bearing follows suit and he agreed. It will vibrate the car to death, a slow painful noisy death, then I'll have a car full of rattles on top of the rest of the stuff. I love Volvos, usually medium rare.

Haha. So the techs are sure its a cage bearing/seal, or you still aren't positive on that?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.