SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a message a few month ago how impressed I was with the quality of my Volvo that I did not need to make one claim on my extended warrenty in 5 years.

Should have kept my mouth shut. 5.5 years and the main seal starts to leak. :(

$1500 to fix including a recommended new slave cylinder. Clutch was like new because of mostly hi-way driving. Would have been $2300+ at the dealer if i didn't find Volvo specialty shop Carus Auto in Mississauga.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Wow that must be rare! I have not heard anyone here with a leak like that.
What's your mileage?
Sorry to hear that... I keep saying Volvo is really charging too much. I don't think it's a good business model...

·
Registered
484 Posts
I posted a message a few month ago how impressed I was with the quality of my Volvo that I did not need to make one claim on my extended warrenty in 5 years.

Should have kept my mouth shut. 5.5 years and the main seal starts to leak. :(

$1500 to fix including a recommended new slave cylinder. Clutch was like new because of mostly hi-way driving. Would have been $2300+ at the dealer if i didn't find Volvo specialty shop Carus Auto in Mississauga.
I feel like its kinda high price for rear main seal, In my area you can get something like that done for about 800

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
sorry to hear that Victor. damn Murphy and his laws......

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Also the Rear Seal - should have only been caused by the - PVC - Issue I Believe , so when was that changed and If NOT - How Come ?

Furthermore - there should have been some sort of Tat it Tail signs - Long Before - I'll say that again - Long Before, Your Warranty
Ran Out !

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PCV system made no tell tale noises. The mechanic also checked it out before doing the seal.
Originally I was quoted $700 for the labor (on the phone) but by time you add 2 more hours for AWD the slave cylinder, antifreeze , trany oil ,clamps engine, oil 13% tax the estimate jumped quickly.

At least I got an antifreeze flush, trany flush and a new slave cylinder that is noticeably smoother after being replaced.

Afterwards I inspected the old seal with a magnifying glass. Except for the damage from the removal it was in pristine condition. No wear, cracks, tears or scratches on the rubber bits. Still very flexible. It was leaking like a sieve so the problem should have been obvious. I am guessing it probably got twisted or bent when it was installed and eventually just opened a gap in front or behind the seal. So far the new one is holding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts