SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thx for the warning but keep that box! I hope when everything is plugged and tested that everything works properly and nothing (motor, electronics, internal parts, etc) is broken or malfunctioning. That box just looks plain abused!
Yes I agree. I did already send an email with pics over to the vendor with an explanation of my dissatisfaction. I doubt I’ll even hear back.

But yeah I’m hoping everything checks out. The part seems very robust and well built and from first glance appears to be fine. So fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thanks! I found the Stealth Hitch instructions showing exactly what you mentioned about recycling the Volvo bumper.
One question though - did Stealth Hitch provide a new rubber grommet seal with holes to allow for the tow wiring to enter the car interior (as the instructions say to discard the original holeless grommet and a new holey grommet is not shown on the parts list)?
Because I have the rear skid plate it appears (from the Volvo retractable hitch website) that this hitch isn't compatible with the rear plate (which is present in all 4 trim packages listed) - argh . . . Please correct me if wrong.
Yes, the kit included a new grommet for installation to the side of the vehicle body (discarded original). Seating the grommet was not easy but doable. I felt like a was going to tear it at times, but it held up during install.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I called local dealers and they quoted me the price to install the foldable tow bar. The price for all parts runs to about 1400+, and they are thinking about charging $750 for the installation labor. So this sounds about 2.1K roughly. Does this sound excessive to you guys? Considering I want to spare the agony if my wife considers I am doing a subpar job and truth be told, I have never attempted a tow hitch bar work before, so maybe it is warranted a worry? :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I called local dealers and they quoted me the price to install the foldable tow bar. The price for all parts runs to about 1400+, and they are thinking about charging $750 for the installation labor. So this sounds about 2.1K roughly. Does this sound excessive to you guys? Considering I want to spare the agony if my wife considers I am doing a subpar job and truth be told, I have never attempted a tow hitch bar work before, so maybe it is warranted a worry? :)
Considering you can get the parts for around 1000$ from multiple other vendors online I would say yes, it’s a bit excessive. If you’re not comfortable doing the work yourself I would take it to a local body shop you can trust. They will likely be a lot less per labor hour than your dealer. And likely have more experience then your dealer techs in removing the rear bumper cover and interior side panels.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Considering you can get the parts for around 1000$ from multiple other vendors online I would say yes, it’s a bit excessive. If you’re not comfortable doing the work yourself I would take it to a local body shop you can trust. They will likely be a lot less per labor hour than your dealer. And likely have more experience then your dealer techs in removing the rear bumper cover and interior side panels.

Those parts include all? I remember the link says there is

1. Towbar, retractable 2" square profile, Class III Part. No. 32259539

2. Trailer module Part. No. 31454603

3. Storage bag Part. No. 31381879
4. Actuator button Part. No. 31412054 For vehicles with air suspension
5. Application Part. No. 30644823

I figure part 1, 2, 4 and 5 are must have? Also there is VIDA work to be done?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Those parts include all? I remember the link says there is

1. Towbar, retractable 2" square profile, Class III Part. No.32259539

2. Trailer module Part. No.31454603

3. Storage bag Part. No.31381879
4. Actuator button Part. No. 31412054For vehicles with air suspension
5. Application Part. No.30644823

I figure part 1, 2, 4 and 5 are must have? Also there is VIDA work to be done?
That’s correct. I bought all the parts listed above minus #5. Those 4 parts cost $1,010 shipped from the vendor online I purchased from. Tasca Parts was around $1,070 shipped. Again I would check with Steingold Volvo who made a post here the other day and is a supporting vendor and see what they would sell the parts for. I likely would have checked with them first but they didn’t make their introduction post until the day after I already ordered.

The application part #5 on the list is the software that needs to be downloaded to the car via VIDA. My dealer quoted me $200 to do this step after the hitch and other components get installed.

·
Registered
175 Posts
That’s correct. I bought all the parts listed above minus #5. Those 4 parts cost $1,010 shipped from the vendor online I purchased from. Tasca Parts was around $1,070 shipped. Again I would check with Steingold Volvo who made a post here the other day and is a supporting vendor and see what they would sell the parts for. I likely would have checked with them first but they didn’t make their introduction post until the day after I already ordered.

The application part #5 on the list is the software that needs to be downloaded to the car via VIDA. My dealer quoted me $200 to do this step after the hitch and other components get installed.

I see, thanks for the explanation. The quote I got from local dealers include all 5 and I figure that 1400 is a bit high but given the fact the software is also included it is not that much more. :) However, I think the $750 to install the hardware plus VIDA is kinda high. :(

·
Registered
126 Posts
Stealth Hitches also has periodic sales. I paid $816 for my XC60 hitch during their Black Friday sale last November. The install took me about 3 hours, now I just have to find a SoCal dealer to install the software for the tow module.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Does anyone know how to obtain the template from the service journal? It’s Service Product Journal (SPJ) 34549.

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Does anyone know how to obtain the template from the service journal? It’s Service Product Journal (SPJ) 34549.

You would need access to TIE. I think you can also purchase individual bulletins from volvotechinfo.com but I'm not certain.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 · (Edited)
You would need access to TIE. I think you can also purchase individual bulletins from volvotechinfo.com but I'm not certain.
I see that I can purchase it for $6.00 from volvotechinfo.com in a pdf format but when I go to checkout it redirects to home page and says cart is empty. ???

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
Not really sure, I never deal with it on that end. I wouldn't think you would need a VIDA subscription to buy a bulletin but maybe you do.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Not really sure, I never deal with it on that end. I wouldn't think you would need a VIDA subscription to buy a bulletin but maybe you do.
I thought it was requesting a subscription but it appears it’s just redirecting me to the home screen and saying the cart is empty. You think my dealer could get it for me?

·
Registered
5,566 Posts
They certainly can. If you are buying the hitch from them I don't see why they wouldn't. I assume it isn't on the accessory installation site, correct?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
They certainly can. If you are buying the hitch from them I don't see why they wouldn't. I assume it isn't on the accessory installation site, correct?
It shows a little picture of the template but it doesn’t provide the actual template in the instructions no.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
If anyone else needs the template feel free to PM me and I can email it to you.

I was able to get mine by calling VolvoTechInfo.com. (1-800-258-6586). The nice lady on the phone gladly sent it to my email free of charge.

I had a hard time at first figuring out the correct scale when printing it out but I think I got it. We will see. Car is currently at my friends shop for install.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just bought xc90 with the new hitch installed. So far it’s great. 2” receiver so I can put on a bike rack. Retractable so I don’t bump my shins and all the sw setup. It is much better than the v90 retractable hitch I used to have because now I can use a bike rack.

One warning: it only comes with a 7 pin electrical connection so you will need a converter for a flat four.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Just bought xc90 with the new hitch installed. So far it’s great. 2” receiver so I can put on a bike rack. Retractable so I don’t bump my shins and all the sw setup. It is much better than the v90 retractable hitch I used to have because now I can use a bike rack.

One warning: it only comes with a 7 pin electrical connection so you will need a converter for a flat four.

Did you purchase a specific one or should any 7 pin to 4 pin adaptor do the trick?

21 - 40 of 60 Posts