SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

Today I received a letter in the mail with a 20% coupon off of Volvo accessories. Because I purchased my R-Design only a month ago I jumped on the official Volvo Accessories site to browse whats available. I was actually planning to purchase the Stealth Hitch system over the next weekend likely during a Labor Day promotion.

Then while searching I come across this:https://accessories.volvocars.com/en-ca/XC90(16-)/Accessories/Document/VCC-516542/2018

(hope that link works)

It appears to be the same foldable tow hitch bar thats been available on the European Xc90 but finally designed with a US style receiver and ball. If your Xc90 has air suspension it replaces the switch panel inside the luggage compartment that lowers or raises the suspension with a new set that includes those buttons plus the addition of one to drop the hitch from behind the bumper cover.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Great find! It would be good if someone has confirmed this is available at USA dealers now and the approximate cost to install.

One thing bugs me which came up on the Invisihitch 1.0 threads was the lack of bumper end coverage compared to the Volvo bumper. There was a pretty big stink about this. Supposedly Invisihitch 2.0 corrected for this (please correct me if I'm wrong). (I believe Invisihitch is now defunct and Stealth Hitch took over. Does anyone know if Stealth has full rear bumper coverage like Invisihitch 2.0?)
Now when I look at Volvo's new disappearing hitch installation instructions (steps 24-26 from your link above) it seems Volvo's replacement bumper has the same "poor" coverage as Invisihitch 1.0!

Please tell me I'm wrong???!!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I installed a Stealth Hitch last winter and it actually reuses the factory bumper. There is a second bumper that mounts on the same bolts that sits inside the factory bumper. Pull off factory bumper, slide on hitch bumper, slide on factory bumper, then reattach bolts.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I installed a Stealth Hitch last winter and it actually reuses the factory bumper. There is a second bumper that mounts on the same bolts that sits inside the factory bumper. Pull off factory bumper, slide on hitch bumper, slide on factory bumper, then reattach bolts.
Did you install the towing package or just the receiver end for a bike rack?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
174 Posts
Wow, this is great news. However, shouldn't Volvo have shipped XC-90 with it already included? It would be dumb to think buying an SUV with no towing bar etc. :) Anyhow, do we know the cost for installing this? Are we talking about more than 2k?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just ordered all the parts necessary from OEMvehicleparts.com. Price for all parts was about $987 before shipping. With shipping it came to about $1,010.

I called my dealer and they said about $200 to download the software. I’ll be doing the install with help from a friend. With my 20% coupon I’ll come out less than getting the option from stealthhitches. Plus it’s covered from Volvo. I think it’s very reasonably priced but do wish it came already equipped. I’m sure on the 2020 MY you can order already installed.

And to answer the question from poster above I didn’t do anything special to receive a coupon. It came in the mail. Purchased about 1 month ago.

·
Registered
174 Posts
You can always chat with volvo help to get 30% off coupon but it maxes out at $200. In this case, not much different from this coupon the OP has.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Has anyone seen it yet?

Has anyone seen this one in person yet?

I'm getting a new XC90 and have gotten the dealer to agree to install the hitch at cost. This looks like a much more elegant solution than the standard towbar & hitch.

What I cannot tell from the pictures online that I've seen, limited to the random drawings in the manuals, is whether or not this receiver can accept any 2" insert or only limited to the one that comes with it.

There's a note on the volvocars page that I"m having trouble deciphering: The depth of the square profile is limited to 2,5 inches, measured from the center of the hole for the locking pin.

Does this mean that for a standard 2" ball mount, the length from the locking pin hole to the end of the mount can be no more than 2.5 inches? That seems like a fair amount and none of my ball mounts have that distance longer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dealer Headaches

So, I emailed my dealer and asked them to get the foldable hitch.....

Guy I’m dealing with said he would check. Took 24 hours to get back to me.

He said that the tech folks in the department researched the foldable hitch and it determined that it’s as not available for the XC90 in the US. He was sure that it was available for the V90 or in Europe, but no way it was available for the XC90.

I sent a screenshot of the installation instructions clearly showing the XC90 2019.

No luck.

As a last ditch effort, I reached out through Volvo’s support group and asked them to reach out the dealer or correct my assumption that it was for the XC90. Surprisingly they responded within a few hours and said they contacted the dealer. I am awaiting their response.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just called my dealer. They have never installed one but he thinks it will be about $1,800. Expensive but not too bad when you consider about $1,200 to install yourself with programming. And no stress from my wife if I screw something up.
Has anyone else got a price on installing it? Wonder if its a fair price.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Thanks! I found the Stealth Hitch instructions showing exactly what you mentioned about recycling the Volvo bumper.
One question though - did Stealth Hitch provide a new rubber grommet seal with holes to allow for the tow wiring to enter the car interior (as the instructions say to discard the original holeless grommet and a new holey grommet is not shown on the parts list)?
Because I have the rear skid plate it appears (from the Volvo retractable hitch website) that this hitch isn't compatible with the rear plate (which is present in all 4 trim packages listed) - argh . . . Please correct me if wrong.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Thanks! I found the Stealth Hitch instructions showing exactly what you mentioned about recycling the Volvo bumper.
One question though - did Stealth Hitch provide a new rubber grommet seal with holes to allow for the tow wiring to enter the car interior (as the instructions say to discard the original holeless grommet and a new holey grommet is not shown on the parts list)?
I can't speak to the XC90 kit, but I just installed the Stealth Hitch on my 2018 XC60 and it does include the new grommet. I don't have a photo of the grommet, but here is one of the final install.

IMG_5484.jpg

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just called my dealer. They have never installed one but he thinks it will be about $1,800. Expensive but not too bad when you consider about $1,200 to install yourself with programming. And no stress from my wife if I screw something up.
Has anyone else got a price on installing it? Wonder if its a fair price.
I’m planning to do the install myself but just for comparative purposes am also planning to get a quote from my trusted local body shop who have done much work for me in the past. If it’s not much I may just have them do it as they’ll have much more experience removing the bumper and interior panels without damage.

Also my dealer said about 200$ to do the software end of things.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I can't speak to the XC90 kit, but I just installed the Stealth Hitch on my 2018 XC60 and it does include the new grommet. I don't have a photo of the grommet, but here is one of the final install.
Thanks MalSled for confirming!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Volvo Schooled Dealer

Heard back from Volvo today. They called the dealer and informed them how to order the foldable hitch for the XC90.

From the email: You are correct about the tow hitch being available for this model. I have reached out to the dealer to inform them of this and have asked that someone get in contact with you to go over the necessary steps in ordering this accessory.

Waiting on the dealer now.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Aaaarrrrggghhhh!!!!! We wanted this when we ordered but it wasn’t available for US-spec. Oh well, there’s hope for the future!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I received my parts today. I ordered from OEMvehicleparts.com.

I gotta say I’m super disappointed in the packaging job they did. Or should I say lack there of. This box weighed in at 87lbs and there was literally no extra packing material inside the box. The hitch bumper was loose inside the box floating freely along with the 3 other parts I ordered. I couldn’t believe it. Surprisingly it looks like nothing was damaged during transport. Honestly shocked considering how the box looked when it got to my house.

In the past I’ve ordered from TascaParts and haven’t had an issue. This site came in around 60$ cheaper so I went for it. Might have gone for the extra 60$ for some peace of mind if I were to do it again. I wish I saw that post from stein gold before I ordered. Likely would have ordered through them since they support the forum.

Just wanted to give you all a forewarning in case you are shopping for these parts in the future.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Just wanted to give you all a forewarning in case you are shopping for these parts in the future.

Thx for the warning but keep that box! I hope when everything is plugged and tested that everything works properly and nothing (motor, electronics, internal parts, etc) is broken or malfunctioning. That box just looks plain abused!

1 - 20 of 53 Posts