SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well, after two weeks on stands, some blood, sparks, and a lots of swearing, I have my R back.

My 65K mile "drivetrain service":

New collar gear, and salvage bevel gear (64K miles w/ 100 day warranty)
New right transmission drive shaft seal (slightly damaged original during collar gear removal, replaced to be safe)
Engine oil changed with Amsoil 5W-30, and Volvo filter
Changed fluids in: Transmission, bevel gear, active on-demand clutch, and rear differential.
Also lubricated collar gear splines with Volvo-specific grease.

Parts list:

(no number) Angle Gear from V and S Auto Dismantlers $665.00
(no number) Amsoil Synthetic 5W-30 Oil x5 $45.75
3126008-9 Collar Gear $98.56
1161748-7 Spline grease for Collar Gear $7.90
1161745-3 Transmission Oil x2 $18.64
1161620-8 Rear Differential Oil $20.82
30759648-6 AOC Clutch Oil x2 $22.14
9143885-3 Right Drive Shaft Seal $17.44
1275810-8 Oil filter Insert $11.44
11998-2 Copper Crush Washers x6 $7.32

Total: $915.01
Not getting destroyed by labor charges: Priceless

Only specialty tools were the two-arm puller kit, and a seal installer kit from Harbor Freight (under $30 for both).

The 32mm Craftsman socket was under $5 (My socket set didn't come with anything that large)

*edit* I did the turbo drain seals while the AWD was out just to be safe

1. Thank you all for making this possible. The 85 million posts of AWD pain before this made it a decent project for a shadetree like myself.
2. Did I miss anything? I didn't have any "extra" parts, so I'm cautiously optimistic.
3. Anyone the fence about DIY, if you can do a brake job, you can do this.
4. Now on to the evil gremlin that has been haunting my 4C for the past few months- But that's for another thread...

Now it's time to go clean a thoroughly filthy caR! :D

·
Super Moderator
14,857 Posts
That's great you were able to get the collar spline off without a problem. Some of the trouble associated with this repair is the collar being "frozen" to the shaft and refusing to let loose even with the toughest of pullers. I haven't looked at the intensity of this repair so I am glad to hear its something that even an average DIY'er can handle! Good work, man!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Grats!

Roughly - how many hours and did you do it solo?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Congrats on the successful venture! 2 things...

What year is your car and did you take lots of pictures/make another DIY for all of us to check out?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This could be a short as an afternoon job- BUT it depends on a few things. Here's what I learned for the next guy:

1. You won't know the condition of the Bevel Gear input shaft until you pull it out. I assumed it was only a collar gear, and had a nasty surprise in a mostly stripped input shaft.

2. You need a way to keep the drive shaft from spinning while you loosen the 6mm Allen bolts. A pair of locking chain pliers was a godsend!
http://www.amazon.com/10-quot-Chain-Locking-Plier/dp/B0016ZVZKW

3. Buy a 32mm Craftsman socket (for the puller to press against), and wrap some electrical tape around it for a snug fit. If you try to fake it, you will trash you right driveshaft output seal (like I did)

4. Spend the couple of bucks, and replace your turbo drain seals while the bevel gear is out. Ten minutes here is cheap insurance.

5. don't be afraid of the angle grinder. I swear the heat and vibration of cutting the notches helps to "break the seal" of the collar gear death grip.

6. When the collar gear finally comes out, so does transmission oil... Remember it, because I didn't.

7. When removing the 5 bolts that hold the bevel gear in, remember that they are all on the same plane. Any bolts slightly higher or lower are part of the "hold the damn transmission in the car" system and best left alone. I realized that I had screwed up when it took 7 bolts to remove my Gear.:eek:

8. AOC Clutch oil is very light, and could pass for salad oil- please don't ask...

9.The rear differential oil change made me want to cry. It is not fun.

10. Volvo sells a special grease for their schmancy new nitride coated collar gears. Don't forget it.

11. As much planning as you do, you will forget something. Volvo will not stock it. You will wait, and the part they ordered will be the wrong one. You will wait some more. You will deal with this, as you have now been warned...

12. Dropping an Angle gear on your chest hurts... doing it again when you're putting it back in hurts worse because it's funnier. get a friend if you can for that part.:D

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This was for an '04/MT and the pictures I found here on SS were better than any I could manage!!!

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Sounds like you had one hell of a good time under there!!

I liked the note on the chain pliers, socket, tranny oil and 5 bolts. In relation to the socket...what do you mean by "fake it" though?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@Fitz- By fake it I mean using something other than the 32mm socket/puller combo. The first try was with no notches, and the chain Vise Grip around the collar for traction. I then used a silver dollar coin from 1976 (don't hate, and I'll plead insanity anyway) with a smaller socket to try and press the collar out.

FAIL:eek:

The assembly slipped, and managed to push one side of the inner drive shaft seal in about 1/2mm. Realizing the royal pain in the arse it was going to be to change it later, I ordered a new one just to be safe. the reason I preached the snug-fitting 32mm socket is that it focuses all the pressure on the metal transmission output shaft around the outside instead of something smaller dorking up the delicate seal inside it.

My other regret is not switching over to the XC90 axle bolts while I had everything apart anyway. Of course curing a failed AWD and axle ping at once might just cause the destruction on the universe as we know it.

And none of us really want that anyway.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
My other regret is not switching over to the XC90 axle bolts while I had everything apart anyway. Of course curing a failed AWD and axle ping at once might just cause the destruction on the universe as we know it.

And none of us really want that anyway.
don't need to have things apart for the axle bolts so don't regret. just walk over to car and pop off the little volvo center caps, remove bolt, grab torque wrench insert new bolt and torque down to spec and tighten 90º. have beer and congratulate yourself on one of the easiest repairs to make...

nice writeup

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here are the *very* few pics I have. If I was to do a proper writeup, I would use the photos already found on SS. Most of these are from my Q&A thread that got me here- anyway, here goes:

My dead bevel gear:

Dead Collar gear and replacement:

Salvage Angle Gear waiting to go in:

The metric ton of different fluids that go in an R:

OCD waxing of an otherwise dead R:

...and the single greatest photo I have ever taken (blatant repost from other thread)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Actually,that was the other specialty tool I had to buy: A seal installer kit. I love Harbor Freight for all the tools I use once in a while like seal installers and two-arm pullers.

Ten bucks well spent if you ask me.

As for the photo, atacamaR has graciously offered to host the full size image for all to enjoy:

http://netfiles.umn.edu/users/ryan/www/ss/misc/R_2.jpg

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
That would be the Mississippi River Bridge from New Orleans to Gretna - been a long time. Your repair gives me hope of no more labor costs. That really is a great picture - night shots are my favorite to take. I grew up in Louisiana just south of Shreveport. Good to see another LA man on here.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Actually,that was the other specialty tool I had to buy: A seal installer kit. I love Harbor Freight for all the tools I use once in a while like seal installers and two-arm pullers.

Ten bucks well spent if you ask me.

As for the photo, atacamaR has graciously offered to host the full size image for all to enjoy:

http://netfiles.umn.edu/users/ryan/www/ss/misc/R_2.jpg
Henry, take note. This picture has to go on the 2011 Calendar!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.