SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last time it was fixing the sticking charging port, and the air suspension pump recall…

This time they're trying to nail down a problem with the parking climate system and the car's been there since the 10th...
(that's before they can get to my weird seat problem)

This is probably my third or fourth >1wk stay at the dealership while they try and sort out things. Thank goodness for loaner cars. (and thank goodness I switched to a dealer that provides decent Volvo loaners instead of a subcompact enterprise rental or a previous generation base model S60)

I just hit 50,000, and I have to say at this point if I hadn't gotten the extended warranty I'd be much more concerned.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
What dealership? MD (depending if you live in the DMV), happens to be fairly well covered with Volvo dealerships.
There are about 8 within 45 minutes of DC and 10 within an hour, which his highly unusual for a brand with a relatively small sales footprint in the States.

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
Parking climate system? WTF is that?

When manufactures begin to engineer all kinds of gimmicks in order to sell cars to a deliberately dumbed down and unappreciative lazy population then they and the public open themselves to more problems.

It's like the lane departure feature. In my humble opinion, if you can't keep your vehicle, a few thousand pound projectile, in your lane, then you probably should not be issued a driver's license.

But everyone these days are given a driver's license like it's a cracker jack prize, many of whom are immigrants who have no understanding of US transportation system, nor do they care, because of the entitlement issue thanks to sell out politicians and greedy corporate arsebags.

If you want a vehicle that won't give you trouble, go with Lexus. I love Volvo design, the XC90 is a gorgeous SUV inside and out but Volvo is going way too fast into the autonomous market and thus they are sacrificing quality control. Not only that but the whole engineering "safety" features are really merely a disguise for an Orwellian take over that the majority of people are oblivious to because their consciousness has been reduced so much over the last decade via various forms of programming and physical assault, such as poison "food" for example, which I could talk about for days because I've worked for a large corporation that feeds the unsuspecting population mostly poison. I may speak openly about that soon, I haven't decided yet if I want to hang my balls out there to get chopped off for people who won't really appreciate the information, but we'll see.

My family have had numerous Lexus and Toyota vehicles over the past few decades going back to 1995 when I got my first Toyota, a '91 MR2 Turbo, all of which lived a somewhat rough life because I really enjoy driving and am fearless behind the wheel, and all but one have been stellar dead nuts rock solid reliable mostly trouble free. The only one that was problematic was a pre-owned IS250 AWD that i was not present to inspect before purchase and it turned out to be a lemon, likely due to previous owner abuse and lack of proper maintenance.

Always get a warranty with these new Volvo's. When you grow tired of the extended dealership visits, take a look at new or certified pre owned Lexus.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Last time it was fixing the sticking charging port, and the air suspension pump recall…

This time they're trying to nail down a problem with the parking climate system and the car's been there since the 10th...
(that's before they can get to my weird seat problem)

This is probably my third or fourth >1wk stay at the dealership while they try and sort out things. Thank goodness for loaner cars. (and thank goodness I switched to a dealer that provides decent Volvo loaners instead of a subcompact enterprise rental or a previous generation base model S60)

I just hit 50,000, and I have to say at this point if I hadn't gotten the extended warranty I'd be much more concerned.
Each to their own I guess, but if I made it 50k miles on any car and it had been into the dealership for stays in excess of a week only 3 or 4 times, I'd be delighted!! I only buy European made cars, so my experience is only with European brands / dealerships, i.e. no, I've never owned a Toyota Corolla or a Honda Civic

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
Each to their own I guess, but if I made it 50k miles on any car and it had been into the dealership for stays in excess of a week only 3 or 4 times, I'd be delighted!! I only buy European made cars, so my experience is only with European brands / dealerships, i.e. no, I've never owned a Toyota Corolla or a Honda Civic
I wasn't talking about corolla. I was referring mostly to Lexus brand and Toyota sports cars, many of which are selling well over their original MSRP, such as MR2 Turbo, and the MKIV Supra Twin Turbo. I also have experience with a first year new Lexus IS300 which was amazing reliable and stout for the entire 130,000 miles that we owned it, as well as a new '15 RX450h that I was kind of hard on after break in period during cross country roads trips loaded with luggage and two adults.

But since you mention Corolla, someone in my family actually bought new a '17 corolla S six speed in Kate '16 and has had zero issues with it for the past few years even though they aren't a car person and kind of neglected service on it. Zero problems with it.

Newer Volvo s are lovely cars to look at, sit in, and drive, but terrible to depend on for trouble free ownership. However, full disclosure, I have never had one, mainly because I can't afford a new one, and I don't like how their software/ECU is on lock down, and because I read too many horror stories about the newer ones being in the shop all the time.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Surely you're jesting. I would never buy cars if they were in the shop in excess of a week 3 or more times within 50k miles. My 2001 V70XC wagon with 238k miles has been in the shop only one time more than a day or two (about a week for fixing leaking engine seals at about 210k miles). My 1985 240DL wagon was also in the shop once for about a week for engine problems, past 100k miles. I've driven Porsches for tens of thousands of miles, and have never had one be in the shop for longer than one day.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Surely you're jesting. I would never buy cars if they were in the shop in excess of a week 3 or more times within 50k miles. My 2001 V70XC wagon with 238k miles has been in the shop only one time more than a day or two (about a week for fixing leaking engine seals at about 210k miles). My 1985 240DL wagon was also in the shop once for about a week for engine problems, past 100k miles. I've driven Porsches for tens of thousands of miles, and have never had one be in the shop for longer than one day.
Why would I jest? I drive 5k a year - so if over a 10 year period I was without one of my cars for a week on 3 occasions, no big deal!!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I wasn't talking about corolla. I was referring mostly to Lexus brand and Toyota sports cars, many of which are selling well over their original MSRP, such as MR2 Turbo, and the MKIV Supra Twin Turbo. I also have experience with a first year new Lexus IS300 which was amazing reliable and stout for the entire 130,000 miles that we owned it, as well as a new '15 RX450h that I was kind of hard on after break in period during cross country roads trips loaded with luggage and two adults.

But since you mention Corolla, someone in my family actually bought new a '17 corolla S six speed in Kate '16 and has had zero issues with it for the past few years even though they aren't a car person and kind of neglected service on it. Zero problems with it.

Newer Volvo s are lovely cars to look at, sit in, and drive, but terrible to depend on for trouble free ownership. However, full disclosure, I have never had one, mainly because I can't afford a new one, and I don't like how their software/ECU is on lock down, and because I read too many horror stories about the newer ones being in the shop all the time.
i wasn't replying to your comment

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why would I jest? I drive 5k a year - so if over a 10 year period I was without one of my cars for a week on 3 occasions, no big deal!!
Well, this car is two years old. It’s spent well over a month and a half of that in the shop for non-routine maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
[HR][/HR]
I drive 5k a year
Wow. I wish I only drove 5k/yr! I feel like I drive 5k a month; but it’s ‘only’ 5k in about 3months.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Car is still in the shop. Got a call today that an engineer from Volvo is coming out to the dealership to help out with it....

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
Must be serious if they're flying in an engineer.
All in all though, at 50,000 miles, with the gremlins that keep popping up I would probably talk to the sales side of the house about a trade-in/trade-up as soon as its fixed.

I always see this niggly things as precursors to the "the big one."

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's so strange that some XC90s are in the shop ALL the time for multiple weeks, whereas my 2017 XC90 that I drive 2500 miles a month has been in twice for less than a full day each time. It's just interesting that it can be so varied.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Must be serious if they're flying in an engineer.
All in all though, at 50,000 miles, with the gremlins that keep popping up I would probably talk to the sales side of the house about a trade-in/trade-up as soon as its fixed.

I always see this niggly things as precursors to the "the big one."
Loose pin in a wiring harness connector. Had to replace it. They’ve got it over the weekend to make sure it stays fixed. Maybe get it back Monday or Tuesday.

Still fighting with them about my seat.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just another update.

So. Car has been in the shop since May 10. They thought they had the fault nailed down on Tuesday, but they wanted me to have the manager check the seat issue with me, and he actually heard and felt it, so they kept it to check that out.

Good thing, because the intermittent fault reared up again yesterday. Right now they’re saying they’ll update me tomorrow but realistically maybe next week. So I’m heading towards a month now.

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
It's so strange that some XC90s are in the shop ALL the time for multiple weeks, whereas my 2017 XC90 that I drive 2500 miles a month has been in twice for less than a full day each time. It's just interesting that it can be so varied.
For those multiple weeks I bet the actual hours they worked on the car is very limited. They could be just waiting for some field engineer to work on it, because dealer's people all like to work for paid hours, not diagnosis time.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
What does parking climate mean?
http://volvo.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9944/~/t8-parking-climate

It uses the electrical system (plug in as well as battery if charged enough) to precondition the cabin. There are a bunch of prerequisites and safety checks required for this to function, so the fact that the car is reporting an error when trying to start this up means something is faulting in either the battery, charging system, or climate system.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update.

So yesterday they said my car was done.

When I went to pick it up, they swapped out my key shells and apparently one of my remotes had stopped being recognized by the car. They attempted to program it again and couldn’t. Then they tried with a brand new key and still couldn’t.

So they put me back into the loaner again. This morning I got more messages from VOC saying the scheduled parking climate failed.

Tomorrow will complete 5 continuous weeks the car has been in the shop.

·
Registered
6,913 Posts
Update.

So yesterday they said my car was done.

When I went to pick it up, they swapped out my key shells and apparently one of my remotes had stopped being recognized by the car. They attempted to program it again and couldn’t. Then they tried with a brand new key and still couldn’t.

So they put me back into the loaner again. This morning I got more messages from VOC saying the scheduled parking climate failed.

Tomorrow will complete 5 continuous weeks the car has been in the shop.

If it is not plugged in, the scheduled parking climate will fail as expected, I think.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 30 Posts