SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Such results are really disappointing. Did anybody do this kind of test? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kwkLX3Phyw0
This is a 2019 T8 and there's a major oversight in this test - didn't put ESC in "sport mode":

ESC Sport Mode helps provide maximum
traction if the vehicle gets stuck or is driving on a
loose surface such as deep snow or loose sand.
That said, I pull a 3,500 lb boat up a slick boat ramp in Constant AWD (ESC in "normal mode") with zero issues.

·
Registered
195 Posts
As a two time Subaru Legacy owner, and a soon to be V60 T5 FWD buyer I can honestly say I know All Wheel Drive very well and it is impressive how Subaru has done it. And I can tell you that a Haldex engineered AWD is misleading people to think they are buying all wheel drive-they are not! Not just Volvo but nearly every other car maker is doing the same kind of misleading promotion of AWD. Sometimes it will help you...Sometimes, not! As shown in the Youtube above I prefer the T-5 FWD, at least I don't expect more than it can deliver. And driving safely means knowing what to expect from your vehicle. I'll slow down when it is wet, use 4 snow tires in winter, and remember to adjust my speed to the road conditions. All Wheel Drive....My ***!

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
As a two time Subaru Legacy owner, and a soon to be V60 T5 FWD buyer I can honestly say I know All Wheel Drive very well and it is impressive how Subaru has done it. And I can tell you that a Haldex engineered AWD is misleading people to think they are buying all wheel drive-they are not!
Not to question your extensive AWD expertise, but this is a T8 (PHEV). There is no Haldex unit. The rear axle is 100% electric.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Something seems not quite right with this video. Obviously they aren't accelerating in a way that would regain traction under slip. Instead of letting up they are accelerating harder to perpetuate wheelspin. Is this a video promoted by Subaru loyalists, or by Subaru itself as a means to discredit a competitor? Or just some malicious B.S. designed to go viral? It strikes me as fake news with some sort of agenda.

·
Registered
753 Posts
True, probably fake news. If I'm paying $40,000 to $50,000 for AWD I would hope it works when needed. I've never gotten stuck with my 2013 XC90 AWD. Not sure how well the XC or CC wagons perform compared to an XC90 or XC60. I would put my money on the SUVs.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Very interesting. Obviously, torque is being applied both front and rear, but the ability to transfer torque side-to-side seems inadequate (in those other videos, as well). Generally the side-to-side torque transfer is accomplished by applying the brakes at the spinning wheel.

I wonder why that does not seem to be effective in the Volvo video and the others.

A few years ago I was invited to a Volvo demonstration where they drove an S60R up a ramp with rollers placed here and there along the way. Of course, it made it. I wonder what the difference was.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
It doesn’t look good.

It’s a ‘trick’ where they have pulled the fuses for the traction control and Haldex (the stability control doesn’t kick in until there is steering and yaw angle in motion). Since there are then essentially open differentials you get the opposite diagonal wheels spinning with torque applied and no resistance on either. You will get the same effect with any AWD vehicle (Subarus included) without a differential lock or a mechanical traction control system.

If you had this on your Volvo you would have multiple dashboard warning lights plus you would have noticed issues already in low traction conditions.

P.S.: All you need to know how effective the AWD system is on a P3 Volvo is a snowy day and an empty parking lot to play in, or to drive any FWD Volvo with snow tires for contrast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Really? What makes you think that?
Because the most basic, ABS-based traction control systems for vehicles with open differentials is programmed to stop exactly that sort of side-to-side (same axel or diagonal spinning within 1/4 rotation.

My ‘99 Grand Cherokee (great Jeep, bad luxury commuter vehicle) had mechanical systems in which differential rotation activated oil pumps and clutches within a couple of rotations, which meant you could spin the tires on gravel or snow for half a second before launch, but also meant the differentials would lock up and ‘hop’ in tight-turn parking.

The P3 Volvo’s have much more sophisticated stability control systems that allow differential speeds of rotation between inside and outside (of turns) wheels.

P.PS.: With at least 2-motor all-electric AWD vehicles, such as the P* 2 I have on order, all you need is the software for the motor and braking controller to keep almost perfect traction, within the limits of conditions and physics - no differentials, drive-shafts, etc.

·
Registered
699 Posts
As a two time Subaru Legacy owner, and a soon to be V60 T5 FWD buyer I can honestly say I know All Wheel Drive very well and it is impressive how Subaru has done it. And I can tell you that a Haldex engineered AWD is misleading people to think they are buying all wheel drive-they are not! Not just Volvo but nearly every other car maker is doing the same kind of misleading promotion of AWD. Sometimes it will help you...Sometimes, not! As shown in the Youtube above I prefer the T-5 FWD, at least I don't expect more than it can deliver. And driving safely means knowing what to expect from your vehicle. I'll slow down when it is wet, use 4 snow tires in winter, and remember to adjust my speed to the road conditions. All Wheel Drive....My ***!
I've always thought similar and ill take the weight saving over the 'sometimes AWD'. In saying that, if i was buying new, id check the box and pay the $2k extra.

In some other videos, it shows the Volvo doing pretty amazing things that couldn't be accomplished with FWD. I wonder if this video is just the limitations of the Electric rear end.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=My-4HbKQ4N8&t=113s

This Rav4 hybrid does similar
https://youtu.be/8bXKnbhWgHY?t=158

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It’s a ‘trick’ where they have pulled the fuses for the traction control and Haldex (the stability control doesn’t kick in until there is steering and yaw angle in motion). Since there are then essentially open differentials you get the opposite diagonal wheels spinning with torque applied and no resistance on either. You will get the same effect with any AWD vehicle (Subarus included) without a differential lock or a mechanical traction control system.

If you had this on your Volvo you would have multiple dashboard warning lights plus you would have noticed issues already in low traction conditions.

P.S.: All you need to know how effective the AWD system is on a P3 Volvo is a snowy day and an empty parking lot to play in, or to drive any FWD Volvo with snow tires for contrast.

It doesn't have Haldex. It is electric engine in the rear axle.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Ok, it’s still a traction control issue

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
It’s a ‘trick’ where they have pulled the fuses for the traction control and Haldex
That would certainly explain what we're seeing in the OP's video vs. the others, but why?

What would motivate someone to post a bogus video like that -- if indeed that's what it is?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Might be too harsh, and it is pointing out a (early) traction control issue with the mixed hybrid drive...

But I hate hybrids anyway.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Constant AWD? Never seen that setting. I saw a similar video against a Subaru and the V60 AWD and the Subaru handled it fairly well. I wonder why this had different results?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts