SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all. I’ve been absent from this forum for a while but thought I’d post an update. Still have my ‘72 142E and have done a few changes over the last couple years. It started with a full iPD suspension with swaybars, poly bushings, Bilsteins and Lesjofors lowering springs in 2018. Then did a full performance engine rebuild in 2019 with pretty much the entire iPD catalog of parts, including street performance cam, lightened fly wheel, double valve springs, decked head, 0.30 overbore, 2” Simons sport exhaust and tubular header. Performance really improved and I’ve been doing lots of long-distance road rallies with car clubs, easily keeping pace with vintage Alfas, BMWs, Porsches, etc. Drove it like that until last fall and decided to do another cosmetic refresh over the winter. That included a full respray in the original Code 109 seafoam green. The original interior was completely green as well, and in terrific original condition, but decided to do full custom upholstery at the same time. I swapped out the carpet and door cards with new black parts and designed the seat upholstery to be custom yet period-appropriate. My inspiration was the iconic 242GT interior with the vertical red stripes - except I did it in matching green as the exterior and authentic VW GTI tartan plaid fabric. Really happy with the result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
The interior work is well done; however, as someone who owned a 1979 242 GT with the orange stripe on the seats, that black / orange is not something that I would want to repeat. The black with tartan comes off nicely and the green stripe is much more subdued.

As an owner of a 1971 142 E with the all black leather interior, I predict that with the change to a pretty much black interior you are going to notice a significant change in interior temperature with the change from the light green. In the summer time on a sunny day, if the ambient is much above 20 C the interior of my 142 is pretty much an oven since I don't have AC. That makes the 142 a fall and spring ride when temperatures are much more civilized.

Is that the original trunk mat? My trunk mat had dried and hardened to the point that it cracked along the bend at the front where the trunk floor meets the well over the rear axle.

Out of curiosity, whose tubular header did you go with? If your original 4-2 cast iron exhaust manifold is still in good shape are you interested in selling it? I have been thinking about ditching my IPD header to go back to the OEM manifold. I ended up with the IPD header because my original manifold cracked and repro manifolds were not available when I did the work on my car. If you went for the IPD header, watch out for radiant heat from the front header tube leading to early failure of your alternator. Header wrap on the tube can help; but, a metal heat shield of some sort is a better solution.

·
Registered
511 Posts
That is an incredible build, thanks for posting it. As much as I love the old cars, the older I get the more I like all the safety and creature comforts. I can absolutely relate to your build as I have done many pre-war Buicks, Olds and Pontiacs. My obsession( pre 59 VW Beetles too!)

Reactions: MonzaA4

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@142 Guy: It’s true that fabric breathes a lot better than vinyl, which is why I chose to go with the fabric inserts. I’ve been driving around in 80 to 90°F weather and I’m quite happy with the comfort level. Last year I was able to score an incredibly rare NOS, still in the box, air conditioning system for my car which is not yet installed. Maybe for a winter project… And yes, that trunk mat is original and in terrific condition. In that last photo, you can see that I had some extra fabric left over from the upholstery project and had a custom spare tire cover made. It really ties it all together. The exhaust header and system are a matched Simons kit. 4-1. Been on there for more than two years with some extremely hard driving and so far so good!

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
You are probably more acclimated to 80 - 90F temperatures than I am. Finding a NOS AC system is nice. Are you going to fit a more modern (more efficient) Sanden compressor?

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@142 Guy: haven’t decided yet. It came with a pristine York compressor still in its original box but I recognize it’s far heavier and less efficient. Would be smart to upgrade that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts