SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I took delivery of my XC90 in late November. I generally love the car. Like, wake up excited to get back in it, love it. But I'm ready to give up on the Sensus navigation system completely. Which is a shame, because I love the integration in the instrument cluster and HUD. I don't know what it was like before the big November software upgrade, but the traffic function seems completely flawed. It constantly shows multiple side roads near me in red, so that the Nav system routes me 4 miles out of the way on an 8 mile trip. I drive through those roads anyway and, surprise, no traffic at all. This has happened every day, morning, Noon, and night. So I disabled traffic from routing and I'm getting better route results, but losing the benefit of any traffic reports at all. I wasn't expecting it to rival Waze (that would be the holy grail!), but couldn't it be as good as a $200 Tom Tom portable? Car Play and Apple maps are okay, but the location is too low on the screen, and you don't get it in the instrument cluster or HUD. Just about ready to go full-time back to Waze on my iPhone in a vent mount. Anyone have any suggestions or hope??

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
No suggestions but I agree. Unless CarPlay evolves substantially before android is available I'll likely make the switch to android and at least get to navigate/search for poi with google maps.

Ive used sensus nav fairly frequently both before and after the update and as far as I can tell, in the NYC area there is just no appreciable improvement with the new RTTI. Coupled with still-impossible voice commands and it's pretty near worthless to me though I keep trying cause I really like the interface. It's like an abusive spouse.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Yeah I have a vent holder and use it when I really need to avoid traffic or otherwise but it's a shame. I did that on my last car and am holding out hope that the xc90 manages to offer some kind of in-dash solution that works for me. I use sensus sometimes (and don't always use nav anyway) and I really much prefer the clutter-free dash.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I've had the November update and still can't get Sensus Nav to understand me. The Voice recognition is a killer. I try to speak normally...then slowly...but it won't even pick out when I say an address. Forget about POI. Have you guys done any sort of voice training or tweaking of the settings to get it a bit better?

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I've had the November update and still can't get Sensus Nav to understand me. The Voice recognition is a killer. I try to speak normally...then slowly...but it won't even pick out when I say an address. Forget about POI. Have you guys done any sort of voice training or tweaking of the settings to get it a bit better?
It doesn't appear the November update addressed Sensus voice cognition in any meaningful way and it was already the Achilles Heal of the car. I think most objective people would agree it may be the worst voice recognition system of any major brand car. It certainly is worse than any of the others I have used. As you say, it's basically useless. Most people give up on it -- you are not alone. And I wouldn't hold my breath for any fix. There are a handful of things you can use it for but forget about navigating to a specific address or POI -- massive waste of time.

So, you are not alone, and no there is nothing that can be done to modify how you speak to it or "train it" to improve it. It's not a learning system like Apple, Google, Microsoft or Amazon use to gradually improve comprehension of your specific voice.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Hi all. I took delivery of my XC90 in late November. I generally love the car. Like, wake up excited to get back in it, love it. But I'm ready to give up on the Sensus navigation system completely. Which is a shame, because I love the integration in the instrument cluster and HUD. I don't know what it was like before the big November software upgrade, but the traffic function seems completely flawed. It constantly shows multiple side roads near me in red, so that the Nav system routes me 4 miles out of the way on an 8 mile trip. I drive through those roads anyway and, surprise, no traffic at all. This has happened every day, morning, Noon, and night. So I disabled traffic from routing and I'm getting better route results, but losing the benefit of any traffic reports at all. I wasn't expecting it to rival Waze (that would be the holy grail!), but couldn't it be as good as a $200 Tom Tom portable? Car Play and Apple maps are okay, but the location is too low on the screen, and you don't get it in the instrument cluster or HUD. Just about ready to go full-time back to Waze on my iPhone in a vent mount. Anyone have any suggestions or hope??
There are now 2 totally different traffic systems available assuming you have the November software update (which you should if you took delivery at the end of November, but who knows). There is the SiriusXM traffic that everyone has, and there is the opt-in (it's a checkbox in the Navigation Settings menu) RTTI from Infix that uses your car's modem and allegedly has far more real-time and comprehensive data than Sirius. Do you know which you are using? I haven't been able to try the RTTI yet since my car cannot receive Internet data in any way since the November update and they don't have a fix yet. So I can't speak to it. I found the traffic data not that useful with Sirius and continued to rely on Waze on my phone.

·
Registered
702 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, the November update seems to have improved the traffic information with sirius xm and the internet traffic option selected. when both are selected on sensus, the traffic in my area does seem to mirror the information available on Google maps. i live in Denver so bear in mind there may be regional differences.

As for voice recognition I have had the best luck saying (for example):

Take me to 1234 Main Street, Denver. It has worked 90%-95% of the time when dictated this way. I could never get it work correctly if you include the state ( none of the command would be recognized.) I am curious if this has worked for others.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Yes, the November update seems to have improved the traffic information with sirius xm and the internet traffic option selected. when both are selected on sensus, the traffic in my area does seem to mirror the information available on Google maps.
Does Sensus use this information to proactively and intelligently re-route you?

·
Registered
39 Posts
yes, I was alerted by the navigation about traffic along my route via sensus notification and it stated it was re'routing. unfortunately there was no alternative route route so I don't know how well it works.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I gave up the sensus navi 3 days after i pick the car.

scheduled a SW update tomorrow, to be honest, im not giving any hope on the Sensus.
but also i got media issues waiting to be fix.

/sigh

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Does Sensus use this information to proactively and intelligently re-route you?
Hit-and-miss. It seems to be variable depending on your vehicle. I have tried all the settings for it in my car -- automatically re-route, prompt to re-route, etc. -- and have never found it intelligently avoiding traffic. Others have had more luck. But it's not in the same league with Waze in any event.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
I gave up the sensus navi 3 days after i pick the car.

scheduled a SW update tomorrow, to be honest, im not giving any hope on the Sensus.
but also i got media issues waiting to be fix.

/sigh
The new software fixes some of the Media issues, but not all. My car still always always turns on playing a different station that it shows itself to be on, just like it did before the update. It didn't for the first week or so after the update though. That said, I have never had the issue with the greyed-out inaccessible Sirius stations since the update.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes, the November update seems to have improved the traffic information with sirius xm and the internet traffic option selected. when both are selected on sensus, the traffic in my area does seem to mirror the information available on Google maps. i live in Denver so bear in mind there may be regional differences.

Take me to 1234 Main Street, Denver. It has worked 90%-95% of the time when dictated this way. I could never get it work correctly if you include the state ( none of the command would be recognized.) I am curious if this has worked for others.
This is interesting. I always say the State because I think it will have a better chance, and I get no recognition. Maybe I'll just try the address and city and see if that helps. Hard to believe a 60k car couldn't license a decent voice recognition software.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts

Doesn't work for me. I spent a couple hours trying every variation many, many times to give it a fair shot. I tried the syntax you propose many times it it's success rate was less than 5%. I even used "Main Street" as a test because we have one. I would be 1/8th of a mile off Main and ask it to take me to "10 North Main Street" and my city and it would either fail entirely or in one case it proposed a route over 100 miles away to a "Meadow Brook Lane" in a town I had never heard of that didn't even remotely resemble my town name (or even start with the same letter or sound or have the same number of syllables). It was epically, comically bad. When I first posted these results I was practically the only owner on here and some people assumed I was doing something wrong or speaking unclearly, but I posted a video that showed otherwise. Since then enough owners have experienced it themselves. Early on I tried to get my dealer to demonstrate how to get it to work and they couldn't either. Now they don't even bother because they know it doesn't work.

Why I haven't been in love with CarPlay, with only a couple exceptions it always understands the address and POI you ask for.

·
Registered
39 Posts
civitas, that stinks that you have had so many issues with the voice control. Hopefully with carplay you get a work around that functions better for you. as an aside, does your voice recognition also work poorly when making phone calls or searching your music library? i do feel like the phone commands and music search are more consistent than the navigation. I also own a 2015 Honda Accord with navigation and voice controls and I will say that both the volvo and the accord work similarly good/bad depending on your point of view. I really find the excessive amounts of sub menus to confirm via voice to be the most annoying aspect of the Honda system as compared to the volvo.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I figured out the problem with Sensus Nav. It is a hard coded Swedesh-only voice recognition system. I started talking to Sensus in Swedesh and it was perfect!

·
Registered
541 Posts
yes, I was alerted by the navigation about traffic along my route via sensus notification and it stated it was re'routing. unfortunately there was no alternative route route so I don't know how well it works.
I had the car inform me of a faster route due to traffic conditions in the dash. Then it gave me the option of Accept, Reject, or Show. I chose show and my current route and an alternate showed up (in the dash). I chose to accept because the new route had more local roads and really was quicker.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
civitas, that stinks that you have had so many issues with the voice control. Hopefully with carplay you get a work around that functions better for you. as an aside, does your voice recognition also work poorly when making phone calls or searching your music library? i do feel like the phone commands and music search are more consistent than the navigation. I also own a 2015 Honda Accord with navigation and voice controls and I will say that both the volvo and the accord work similarly good/bad depending on your point of view. I really find the excessive amounts of sub menus to confirm via voice to be the most annoying aspect of the Honda system as compared to the volvo.
It's been tragically bad for phone use as well. It's a huge step back from my Honda. Prior to CarPlay, I could only initiate calls now when I pulled over (since I refuse to use the phone while driving) or if someone else was in the car to dial for me.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts