SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted here a few weeks ago about how my passenger side strut bearing went bad....again. Had a new one installed by my indy-Volvo guy three weeks ago. The noise when turning was gone. But I immediately noticed a clunk/rumbling from the passenger side when going over bumps, specifically when just the passenger side hits a bump. I went right back to him, and he diagnosed it as a bad strut. New strut goes in, clunking noise still there. I went back again, he is flummoxed, said the only other thing it could be is the stabilizer bar link, even though that seems tight.

I had planned to just put a MOOG link on myself this weekend.....until suddenly I start the car yesterday and boom, the DSTC light and airbag light come on. With 70k miles on the car I had NEVER had any lights come on before. I'm now going to go back to him to address the lights. Am I crazy for thinking something about all these issues with that passenger side strut is related to these lights suddenly illuminating? Or is this all just a coincidence?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Posted here a few weeks ago about how my passenger side strut bearing went bad....again. Had a new one installed by my indy-Volvo guy three weeks ago. The noise when turning was gone. But I immediately noticed a clunk/rumbling from the passenger side when going over bumps, specifically when just the passenger side hits a bump. I went right back to him, and he diagnosed it as a bad strut. New strut goes in, clunking noise still there. I went back again, he is flummoxed, said the only other thing it could be is the stabilizer bar link, even though that seems tight.

I had planned to just put a MOOG link on myself this weekend.....until suddenly I start the car yesterday and boom, the DSTC light and airbag light come on. With 70k miles on the car I had NEVER had any lights come on before. I'm now going to go back to him to address the lights. Am I crazy for thinking something about all these issues with that passenger side strut is related to these lights suddenly illuminating? Or is this all just a coincidence?
Anything I can offer is just speculation... But... I don't think it is a coincidence. You should get the wheel off and look at it yourself. Make sure ABS sensor isn't damaged / any wiring around that area is in tact. Verify the strut nuts (lol) at the tower are tight, again check all wiring in that area.

Does your vehicle have the 4C suspension?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,075 Posts

Does it sound like someone hitting a pipe with a rubber mallet? Could be loose or maybe a bad one. I would definitely go back in.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had the wheel off last weekend and everything seemed tight, though that was prior to the lights coming on so I really didn't pay a ton of attention to wiring. Taking it back to him again tomorrow as he offered to put on the link that I got....hopefully that solves the clunk problem, which does kind of sound like the pipe you describe msmith. When I talked with him yesterday he indicated that a DSTC light and airbag light usually means a bad clockspring, though the DSTC light is no longer on. If everything doesn't get squared away tomorrow I'll probably just have to suck it up and go to the dealer.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I had the wheel off last weekend and everything seemed tight, though that was prior to the lights coming on so I really didn't pay a ton of attention to wiring. Taking it back to him again tomorrow as he offered to put on the link that I got....hopefully that solves the clunk problem, which does kind of sound like the pipe you describe msmith. When I talked with him yesterday he indicated that a DSTC light and airbag light usually means a bad clockspring, though the DSTC light is no longer on. If everything doesn't get squared away tomorrow I'll probably just have to suck it up and go to the dealer.
While I don't agree with the statement, I know that's not the only possible root cause for those lights. This winter, I pulled the abs fuse to disable dstc, airbag and dstc lights illuminated as well as abs.

Personally, I would have someone with a Volvo CAN communication tool plug in and scan your vehicle. Otherwise you're just going to be taking shots in the dark.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Something similar happened to me right after I did my IPD Sway bar & end links. Sounds crazy but try spraying WD40 directly into the lock mechanism/door latch. This fixed it for me. Not having a lubricated door latch makes this ominous clunking noise when going over an uneven surface.

·
Registered
1,825 Posts
Something similar happened to me right after I did my IPD Sway bar & end links. Sounds crazy but try spraying WD40 directly into the lock mechanism/door latch. This fixed it for me. Not having a lubricated door latch makes this ominous clunking noise when going over an uneven surface.
I second that. That happened to me early into my ownership of the car. Copious amounts of grease in all 4 door latches took care of it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well he put the link on for me, and it seemed to get better for a few miles, and then boom, back to clunking, not as bad, but still there. Its almost like anytime the car goes up on the lift the clunking gets better temporarily, crazy as that sounds.

Also he couldn't trace down the problem with the air bag light, essentially it could be any of several different things. He suggested going to the dealer and getting a software update done. He also doesn't think the air bag light has anything to do with the strut mount related work I've had done. I'm swapping my summer tires back on this weekend, gonna do a real thorough root around and get a wrench on all the bolts on that side, hopefully something is just loose. Otherwise this is very frustrating. I'll try greasing the door latches too, appreciate that suggestion, but I'd be floored if that fixes it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts