SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be dropping the XC off for service today; is the 15k a big one, money-wise? I forgot to ask when I made the appointment. I'm only asking because Infiniti has "2 tier" services. When I brought the G35 in they tried to get me to go for a $950 30k service which blew me away. I said no way and then he mentioned the $400 "plan B" (or something) service. Yeah, that's the one. My local Infiniti dealer is a little shady I think. Anyway, my car has some other issues which I'm going to bring up in addition to the service. Mainly:

-Vibration from front suspension under acceleration (clunking noises too while turning)
-Drivers side seatback rocks
-Steering wheel squeaks just off-center. Hard to reproduce, only seems to happen under certain weather/humidity conditions. I might not even mention this one as I don't want them to have to remove my wheel. Not sure why I feel that way

-Musty smell from A/C
-Tires are almost shot; think they'll replace them under warranty?
j/k

Does anyone know if they fixed the issue where the audio system "clicks"
when in AUX mode and nothing is connected?

Is there a site that lists all of the TSBs for our Volvos? I did a quick search and it seems the info is avaible for a price.

I think these issues are minor; still love the car @ 18k. http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif

Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: Issues (nat_tex)

15K is a glorified oil change and cabin filter. Never blindly ask for a xx mileage service.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,286 Posts
Re: Issues (MagoonR)

Musty smell from A/C - afterblow needs to be turned on. This should be gratis.

Tires - Believe it or not, DARCARS was able to get me a set of tires warranteed.

Driver's seat rocking - make sure the WHIPS system is not partially engaged. Also, if you ever have had the front seat folded flat, it puts tension on the seat frame. You may want to tighten all the seat mounting bolts yourself before taking it in.

No suspension or steering issues with mine after almost 28k miles.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: Issues (njb8199)

Quote, originally posted by njb8199 »
Driver's seat rocking - make sure the WHIPS system is not partially engaged. Also, if you ever have had the front seat folded flat, it puts tension on the seat frame. You may want to tighten all the seat mounting bolts yourself before taking it in.

Rocking seat may also be a symptom of a bad strut (my S40 needed a replacement). There is a TNN in the R Forum which probably applies:

TNN85-28-2006-03-03 Title: Front Seats, Play in Lower Part of Backrest/Adjust (2005- )
Some customers may complain about play in the lower part of the front seat backrest. The concern occurs mainly during stop and go driving. Sometimes the play is combined with a knocking noise that can be heard from the recliner area.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies. The service advisor mentioned that there could be a small amt of play in the seatback. They'll check and make sure it's in spec.

I would love a new set of tires under warranty. They all wore pretty evenly, though, so I don't think I have a shot at that. I'll be going with a nice set of Michelins next.

Going in, I was hoping to get a C30 loaner as I've been interested in driving one. The rep said that loaners were getting thin and they only had 2 left. I said "I guess I can't make any requests then." He went on to say that he had a V70 and a little hatchback. "A C30?" Sold! He thanked me for taking it and said nobody wants a C30 as a loaner, mainly people that have kids. I told him I was happy to have a ride home so bring the C30 around. He pulled up in a nice, black one that only has 3,000 mi. on it.

I'm really enjoying it so far; I even took it for a spin last night after dinner. I just can't find a comfortable seating position, I think it's the seatbelts. I'm spoiled for life by my XC90, comfort-wise. Also, the C30 and S40 have a distinct smell, like oil or something. I remember the smell when I had an S40 loaner once. It would make a nice commuter, though.

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Vibration under heavy acceleration = new front axles, both sides. Our 90 is in the shop today for the same thing.

·
Registered
827 Posts

Go by what the service book says, not what they have on the service board. Those packaged services
are money makers for the dealer.

The 2005's had free service up to 30K, but very strict time and milage rules. I took the car in for the
last service at 29850 and got the 30K service for free too... If it was at 30001 the service would
have been on me. I am now my own service garage with the car at 42K, I have a service bay
right in the garage.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, the verdict is in. The play in the seatback is normal (WHIPS)

The A/C afterblow is working as designed. They freshened it with a kit; I hope it doesn't smell worse (like flowers or some other artificial smell).

The left front axle was replaced under warranty due to excessive play.

15k service completed! Thanks again, folks. Looking forward to getting my car back but I would have kept the C30 for a few more days.

·
Registered
719 Posts

Quote, originally posted by nat_tex »
...I'm only asking because Infiniti has "2 tier" services. When I brought the G35 in they tried to get me to go for a $950 30k service which blew me away.

I thought Infiniti was just banking with their lousy-residual-and-high-money-factor leases. But they are also banking with ridiculous charges for maintenance. Oil change, tire rotation, A/C filter, and maybe air filter. What else do they need to do? $200 tops and that is steep IMO.

-Vibration from front suspension under acceleration (clunking noises too while turning)
-Drivers side seatback rocks
-Steering wheel squeaks just off-center. Hard to reproduce, only seems to happen under certain weather/humidity conditions. I might not even mention this one as I don't want them to have to remove my wheel. Not sure why I feel that way

My wife's car is showing all those symptoms. Let me know about the Steering wheel as I also felt that was going to be a challenge trying to explain.

Does anyone know if they fixed the issue where the audio system "clicks"
when in AUX mode and nothing is connected?

Happened on my now gone S80 and happening on the XC90. Let us know if they fix it, and how.

I think these issues are minor; still love the car @ 18k. http://********************/smile/emcocktl.gif

No doubt. It's a sport

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: Issues (dmd)

Quote, originally posted by dmd »
The 2005's had free service up to 30K, but very strict time and milage rules. I took the car in for the last service at 29850 and got the 30K service for free too... If it was at 30001 the service would
have been on me.

Hmmmmm......there's usually a 1000-1500 mile leeway on the interval (don't remember which one).

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Issues (zamo)

Quote, originally posted by zamo »
I thought Infiniti was just banking with their lousy-residual-and-high-money-factor leases. But they are also banking with ridiculous charges for maintenance. Oil change, tire rotation, A/C filter, and maybe air filter. What else do they need to do? $200 tops and that is steep IMO.

Here's a story from my local Infiniti retailer. Sorry to go OT but hey, it's my thread. I took the G35 in for an oil change recently. I had printed a coupon from the dealer website for a $28.95 oil change. I tell the service advisor that I have "the coupon" for my oil change. "Which coupon?" he asks. Oh boy, here we go. So he goes on to tell me, "if we use that coupon, we won't use a Nissan filter." Fine, I don't care, I'll use a Nissan filter next time. "Also, if you use that coupon, we won't use Nissan oil either." OK, whatever, just change the oil. "How much is a Nissan oil change?" I ask. "$48.95, I can take 10% off if you don't get a wash..." That's just one of a handful stories I have for these guys. The maddening part is that these cars (at least my model) is a Nissan over in Japan; all of the internal parts say Nissan but they charge (or attempt to charge) European import prices. I must admit, they always do a great job though, always satisfied with the outcome of any of my issues so far over 5 years of ownership. They always go out of their way to make sure the job gets done.

My wife's car is showing all those symptoms. Let me know about the Steering wheel as I also felt that was going to be a challenge trying to explain..

I mentioned that when I made my appointment but it wasn't squeaking when I brought it in, of course. It's not a huge deal at this point. It gives the car a little "character" I suppose.

Happened on my now gone S80 and happening on the XC90. Let us know if they fix it, and how.

I don't think they have a fix and I didn't ask as I had already raised this issue on my first service. The C30 loaner did it too; oh well. I've learned to turn the system off when I shut down and it's not an issue.

Well, I did pick my car up earlier this evening. It's driving much better, I think I may have felt a little pulse around 60-80 but I'll drive it a bit more before forming a conclusion. Any thoughts of owning a C30 vanished however, as soon as I got in and fired it up.

Oh, one more thing. My car smells like a damn hospital from the A/C service! I shouldn't have opened my big mouth!
Hopefully it won't last too long...

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,286 Posts

Also, excessively worn tires, especially the 19" on the Sports and Executives, can lead to heavy or squeaky steering on the XC90. I'm just about due for new tires on my XC90 (2nd complete set, but first one on my dime).

Can you explain more about the axle thing?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It's funny, I was driving home one day recently and I went to pass someone while doing about 40. I hit the gas and there was a weird vibration. I thought that maybe it was the road surface or something but then later that night I came across this thread:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=118890

This was the first time that I had heard of it. You'll know if your axles need replacement; even my wife could feel the vibration from the passenger seat.

I'm glad it's fixed and all is normal. I kinda wish they did both axles but I'll keep an eye on it.

One thing that was noted on my service receipt; my front brake pads have only 6mm left. Looks like I'll be switching to ceramic pads before too long.

I don't really have anymore info as I have no access to Volvo TSBs. Maybe it's best that I don't...

·
Registered
827 Posts
Re: Issues (MagoonR)

Quote, originally posted by MagoonR »

Hmmmmm......there's usually a 1000-1500 mile leeway on the interval (don't remember which one).

Yes, normally there is, but if you go over 30k it ends... So had to beat the 30k deadline. They double
checked the milage and delivery date and grudgingly did the free service that included replacing the
cabin filter. All for free..

·
Registered
188 Posts
Re: (nat_tex)

It's funny, I was driving home one day recently and I went to pass someone while doing about 40. I hit the gas and there was a weird vibration. I thought that maybe it was the road surface or something but then later that night I came across this thread:

http://forums.swedespeed.com/zerothread?id=118890

This was the first time that I had heard of it. You'll know if your axles need replacement; even my wife could feel the vibration from the passenger seat.

I'm glad it's fixed and all is normal. I kinda wish they did both axles but I'll keep an eye on it.

One thing that was noted on my service receipt; my front brake pads have only 6mm left. Looks like I'll be switching to ceramic pads before too long.

I don't really have anymore info as I have no access to Volvo TSBs. Maybe it's best that I don't...

Hi, I was out this week... could not jump in this post earlier, but I am glad that thread helped you and that you got the axle fixed.
Ref. brakes and tires (no wonder ....) when I picked my sport (with 12K) the dealer had already put new front brake pads and new summer tires. I will probably switch to ceramic pads when it is time again. As per tires since I am in CT, I am thinking of getting an 18" winter set from tirerack, based on how fast (particularly19") tires wear, moneywise I think it makes a lot of sense to have a dedicated winter set

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (Asfalto)

Quote, originally posted by Asfalto »
Hi, I was out this week... could not jump in this post earlier, but I am glad that thread helped you and that you got the axle fixed. As per tires since I am in CT, I am thinking of getting an 18" winter set from tirerack, based on how fast (particularly19") tires wear, moneywise I think it makes a lot of sense to have a dedicated winter set

Thanks! I'm originally from Long Island and also spent 5 years in Detroit so I wholeheartedly agree with the decision to get dedicated snows. I had Blizzaks on our cars up North and they are truly amazing in snow and ice. The XC90 would be an unstoppable beast with snow tires. Thanks again for the info (and HuskerZ too). -- paul

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Re: (nat_tex)

Thanks! I'm originally from Long Island and also spent 5 years in Detroit so I wholeheartedly agree with the decision to get dedicated snows. I had Blizzaks on our cars up North and they are truly amazing in snow and ice. The XC90 would be an unstoppable beast with snow tires. Thanks again for the info (and HuskerZ too). -- paul

I'm anxious to see how ours goes in snow this winter. The day we bought it, we had an April snow storm, but low and behold, our pressure sensor was out and we didn't have AWD, so I didn't get a chance to test it out. It actually went okay in 2WD, so I'm really looking forward to using the AWD.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Re: (zamo)

ZAMO - do you have the TSB list for the 3.2 I-6, XC-90 (2007)

I would like to compare

1 - 20 of 20 Posts