SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago the a/c stopped working for a few minutes, then after the car was parked for an hour while my parents had lunch, they got back in the car and the a/c worked again. Two days later, the a/c again stopped working, and hasn't worked since. My dad tells me that when the fan is set to "auto" with the a/c off, no air comes out, that when it (being the fan) is set to low that the air isn't blowing like it used to, but when the fan is set to high it does work well, but again exactly like it should-but nowhere as discernable as when it is set to low.

About a month and a half ago the Volvo was in for a heater core and evaporator, and the Volvo dealership topped off the 134a refrigerant. The a/c low pressure sensor and recirculate arm were also replaced. I am taking the car in for an oil change on Tuesday(before I get the car smogged), and was wondering, besides the refigerant level and compressor, at what should my mechanic be looking? Thanks

Modified by 1sciroccofahrer at 11:17 AM 5-7-2006

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: issue with the a/c system on the '96 850...... (1sciroccofahrer)

Tomorrow morning I am taking the 850 in for the oil change, and if the refigerant and compressor seem fine, then I will have my mechanic check out the a/c pressostat.

One quick question about the moonroof: It will go up and down, but it won't go back. Any insight would be most appreciated. Vielen vielen dank

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

I think your parents should bite the bullet, sell the 850 and get into something else.
Some are money pits and this one certainly seems like one of those and all they are doing is putting good money after bad

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Turns out that there was something in the system(perhaps a "gift" from the dealership) which was preventing the a/c from working and causing higher than normal psi readings. My indie mechanic was able to blow it out, and the a/c is once again working strong. Have a splendid Tuesday one and all http://********************/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
63,543 Posts

http://********************/smile/emthup.gif http://********************/smile/emthup.gif (For once)

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: issue with the a/c system on the '96 850...... (JRL)

Thanks JRL
You'll be happy to know that I gave the dealership in Southern California an earful (once again) today for their (less than adequate) work in late March-i.e. the auxiilary fan that wasn't properly grounded; the radiator that they claimed was very old and aftermarket-it was in fact a year and a half old and a Nissens; the various a/c issues after work was completed. At least the assistant manager , the one person with whom my parents did not deal, was apologetic about the entire experience, and made sure that the tech who did the work knew full well that he made a comedy of errors and this is how not to keep a customer. I am going to ring Volvo of America later this week-if time permits-and ensure that they are full cognizant of what occured.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts