SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my AWD collar/sleeve replaced and the AOC pump replaced but a couple weeks later I have a symptom occur about 5 times over a few days that I'm puzzled by. It has happened on rare occasions in the past but the frequency of this worries me. The trans plug was also replaced and the transmission oil was topped up by the indie shop that did all the work.

When making a turn (mostly left but happened once turning right) and then accelerating the car over revs as it tries to find the gear then slams into gear - I back off the gas when the RPMs climb that suddenly so the eventual slam into gear is not as hard as if I kept the RPMs high (ie. foot on gas).

Anyone experience this issue before and/or had it fixed?

R is 2006 GT.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
i know it is topped off but now add 1/2 to 3/4 quart of a trans fluid , slamming will be gone...you are welcome.
Is that related to the bad 06 GT valve bodies?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is that related to the bad 06 GT valve bodies?
I had mine replaced under warranty - I believe there was a fix with an undated valve body and that was done by the dealer about 4 years back IIRC.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I took the R back to the indy shop that replaced the collar and AOC pump and they checked the fluid level and said it was fine and didn't put any more in. The problem of over-revving then slamming in gear after making a turn is still present.

Is it ok to "over-fill" the transmission as suggested above if the fluid level is ok now (based on how they check fluid level at the dealerships)?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Did they make sure the gearbox was up to temp when the checked the level.
Was the fluid counter reset ,you could run the adaptation Setting in vida

·
Registered
9,242 Posts
Is it ok to "over-fill" the transmission as suggested above if the fluid level is ok now (based on how they check fluid level at the dealerships)?
at this point i would first try to replace the transmission and see if that helps...sometimes it is better to give a proper advice.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did they make sure the gearbox was up to temp when the checked the level.
Was the fluid counter reset ,you could run the adaptation Setting in vida
Yes, they ran the car before checking and reset the counter as well - they are pretty familiar with it since they worked on the caR when they were service techs at the dealership I go to (they left the dealership in 2013 to start their own indy shop). I don't have Vida.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
at this point i would first try to replace the transmission and see if that helps...sometimes it is better to give a proper advice.
Not sure i understand your post. I took the car back to the shop firstly to check and make sure they fluid level was not below where it needed to be and they checked and said it had the amount of fluid it's supposed to have (no trans dipstick as you know). I don't know if they would have topped it off/added any more if they thought it already had enough fluid - they would consider this "over-filling".

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Not sure i understand your post. I took the car back to the shop firstly to check and make sure they fluid level was not below where it needed to be and they checked and said it had the amount of fluid it's supposed to have (no trans dipstick as you know). I don't know if they would have topped it off/added any more if they thought it already had enough fluid - they would consider this "over-filling".
I think what he's getting it is that you could add $7 worth of trans fluid and if it fixes it, yeah. Or you can spend $3500 on a new trans and don't worry about spending $7.
Adding a little extra fluid will not harm anything.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The shop said it had enough fluid when I took it back for them to check it and I didn't push the issue with them.

Is there a DIY driveway procedure for this top up (on the 6-speed GT 06/07 cars)? If it's not that hard to do I can buy a bottle and add some myself.

·
Registered
6,634 Posts
Need VIDA to do it. Level is temp based and only VIDA can read transmission temp.

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
i know it is topped off but now add 1/2 to 3/4 quart of a trans fluid , slamming will be gone...you are welcome.
I've been having this exact issue on rare occasions... Looks like I've now found the solution. Can this be done cold? Just pull the plug, add 1/2-3/4 Qt Trans Fluid, replace plug? Do any other VIDA steps need to be taken? Thanks dougy!

·
Registered
536 Posts
easiest way would be to use a skinny funnel and go through the dipstick under the airfilter box.

·
Registered
9,242 Posts
I've been having this exact issue on rare occasions... Looks like I've now found the solution. Can this be done cold? Just pull the plug, add 1/2-3/4 Qt Trans Fluid, replace plug? Do any other VIDA steps need to be taken? Thanks dougy!
First make sure it is properly topped off...I would add when it is warm / operational temps and running.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
easiest way would be to use a skinny funnel and go through the dipstick under the airfilter box.

The 2006/2007 R's do not have a dipstick so no access to fill through that like there was with the 2004/2005 models. Not sure how/where to add oil on this GT trans.

·
Super Moderator
8,738 Posts
First make sure it is properly topped off...I would add when it is warm / operational temps and running.
I had the dealer drain & fill the transmission 2.5 years and about 18.5k miles ago. I would expect the level to be correct, but obviously can't be sure easily since it's an 06 (THANKS VOLVO! :mad: :facepalm:). Is the fill plug the only way of checking? Any how-to on doing it?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts