SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After inspecting my 2019 T5 for a different quality issue learned from a different thread, I not only confirmed that I did have the problem with door gaskets falling off but found a more neat problem. All four doors are missing the courtesy lights, aka puddle lights. Yes there is a hole where they belong! When I called my sales person he said,
“ The South Carolina assembly plant has been having weird quality issues, we have seen that problem a lot along with missing fog lights and third brake lights pretty regular” Here’s to hoping the unseen items of the car were not forgotten...

#SCGrowingPains
#NotOnMyFirstVolvo!
#SwedishCarAmericanHands
853F05AC-5D1C-450F-9779-5D0C15C94E19.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
Unfortunately that hole isn't a mistake unless you have the High Level Interior lighting. Same story on the V60 and XC60. I have holes for puddle lights and door pocket lights on my 19 V60 RDesign with Mid Level lighting.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately that hole isn't a mistake unless you have the High Level Interior lighting. Same story on the V60 and XC60. I have holes for puddle lights and door pocket lights on my 19 V60 RDesign with Mid Level lighting.
I thought that may have been the case but Volvo Car USA and my dealer both said it is standard across the S60 line and should be installed on every S60. I would actually prefer that it is an option and not a assembly plant oversight. How confident are you that it is ONLY available on the High Level Interior Lighting?

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
This seems to be the answer, those are known as "integrated courtesy lights". Bit silly volvo doesn't have a cap for the holes but I guess they figured most people won't get on their hands and knees to notice.

"puddle lights" are the lights integrated into the exterior doorhandles, different thing.

here's the option description on the volvo build page

Interior High Level Illumination
Our top-of-the-line interior illumination adds a truly sophisticated ambiance inside your Volvo when it's dark outside – from the moment you open the door until you arrive at your destination. Integrated courtesy lights and a light guide along the interior create a welcoming feel. Discrete multicolor mood lights and illumination of the door pockets, cupholders and interior door handles further contribute to a cozy atmosphere and make it easy to find things in the dark. The rear seat reading lights are shaded to avoid causing glare to the driver. And to facilitate loading of your vehicle in the dark, the trunk lid features integrated lighting.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This seems to be the answer, those are known as "integrated courtesy lights". Bit silly volvo doesn't have a cap for the holes but I guess they figured most people won't get on their hands and knees to notice.

"puddle lights" are the lights integrated into the exterior doorhandles, different thing.

This is standard on the 20’ R Design and higher. Was it optional on the 19’ R Design?

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
If you send me your VIN I might be able to see if your car is supposed to be equipped with them or not.

·
Registered
58 Posts

This is standard on the 20’ R Design and higher. Was it optional on the 19’ R Design?
It was standard on 19 Inscriptions. Wasn't an option on the 19 RDesign. I believe it was a last minute change, because the RDesign’s were initially advertised as having it.

·
Registered
121 Posts

It was standard on 19 Inscriptions. Wasn't an option on the 19 RDesign. I believe it was a last minute change, because the RDesign’s were initially advertised as having it.
The R design was and continues to advertise sports suspension as standard. Volvo USA is a mess. They really botched this car.

Check your side skirts. My passenger side has a 1/2 inch gap between skirt and body. My towing eyelet also fell off while driving. And the silver plastic piece covering the brake pedal slid off while I hit the brakes. Apparently it’s not glued on.

There is also a random hole/gap on drivers side to the right of the pedals where the carpet meets the dash. I can fit my entire hand through it. The list goes on and on.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
While reading this thread, a funny musical association popped into my mind: Sylvester the Cat in a Looney Tunes cartoon singing "Charleston, Charleston, made in Carolina." Of course he sang it with a pronounced lisp, which was considered entertaining back then but would be labelled making fun of the handicapped and politically incorrect today. Too bad that Sylvester isn't around to comment on US-built Volvos, although he did manage to get a WTF past the censors. It might also be noted that the bullying bulldog Spike and his sycophantic cohort Chester have some relevance in present-day politics. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAgfPHP1w0I

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Before we all burn down the Charleston plant, let's see if the OP sends the VIN to make sure their car is even supposed to have those lights. My bet is it isn't.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Hmm. Regardless if this is an option or not, it is very strange the holes in the trim are left exposed like that. Dirt, grime and moisture will eventually find their way further into the door panel. I mean a small plastic cover would cost Volvo a few cents, it's unbelievable the cars are being sold like this..

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Before we all burn down the Charleston plant, let's see if the OP sends the VIN to make sure their car is even supposed to have those lights. My bet is it isn't.
Some do, some don't. As Sylvester sang, "Thome danceth, thome pranceth."

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
Hmm. Regardless if this is an option or not, it is very strange the holes in the trim are left exposed like that. Dirt, grime and moisture will eventually find their way further into the door panel. I mean a small plastic cover would cost Volvo a few cents, it's unbelievable the cars are being sold like this..
Do you drive around with your doors open? Nothing is getting in there. This is people making a big deal about nothing.

Some do, some don't. As Sylvester sang, "Thome danceth, thome pranceth."
And if they aren't supposed to have the lights, then this is all for nothing.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
It should be covered on a car in this price range. It's not a Chevy Malibu.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I'm with Tech on that one, 3 separate seals would have to fail before debris could get in there, not just the one on the door that some have issues with.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Based off my experience with two 2019 S60’s, when I’ve been driving in wet weather, with the weather strips coming off I get a lot of moisture and dirt in the sill. When the weather strips are fully secured, I don’t get much moisture.

In my case, when that gasket was hanging it was getting pinched by the other gasket that runs along the bottom sill causing that one to leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
121 Posts
It is a big deal to some. The weather stripping is just one issue. Others are having some major quality control issues like myself. This is not an entry level economy car. It's a 50k luxury sedan. Have you seen the fit and finish of the 3 series / A4 / C class? There is a reason the S60 doesn't sell well and lags way behind it's competitors. I hold Volvo to a high standard and expect more from the brand. If they want to compete with other "luxury" cars in this category they need to address these factory issues ASAP. But NO, to add insult to injury- VOLVO USA takes no responsibility and couldn't care less. This is why I am getting rid of the S60 and possibly leaving the brand altogether. It's a shame bc i never experienced any major quality control issues with my 17 V60 and really love that wagon.

And yes water and grime WILL get in there- and more importantly- what grows really quickly in a dark and wet location? MOLD.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.