SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

41 - 60 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
My post has nothing to do with the build quality just throwing in what I used on failing trunk gasket. Removed the gasket where it was failing. Cleaned the metal with alcohol on both sides and installed the tape. Than pushed the gasket into place and forgot about the issue. Should Volvo fix it? Sure, but if you are tired like I was get creative if you otherwise love the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
424 Posts
Great find beers. Completely forgot about my favorite gasket chemical company. They do know what they doing.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
My car has been at the dealership since last Tuesday and weather stripping was one of the issues they’re supposed to be fixing.

I only got a brief update Friday that they needed the car through the weekend and were waiting on parts (unrelated to weather stripping). I don’t know how they plan to fix it - I had applied the 3M gasket adhesive to the loose portions of the weather stripping just a couple months ago, and new parts were coming loose already.

I’ll update this thread when I find out more from the dealer.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My car has been at the dealership since last Tuesday and weather stripping was one of the issues they’re supposed to be fixing.

I only got a brief update Friday that they needed the car through the weekend and were waiting on parts (unrelated to weather stripping). I don’t know how they plan to fix it - I had applied the 3M gasket adhesive to the loose portions of the weather stripping just a couple months ago, and new parts were coming loose already.

I’ll update this thread when I find out more from the dealer.

Here's an update for you all since my last post...

Volvo is either doing right by me, or sick of hearing from me, but have approved a collateral swap. I placed an order for my 2020 S60 replacement a few weeks ago and am hoping to have it a little before Christmas. Regardless of why, I am very glad they have approved this for me. It took an extreme amount of patience, a lot of back-and-forth, and contacting many people outside of who you typically would deal with regarding issues but it all worked out in the end. Lets hope my replacement is issue-free; especially since the gaskets were the least of this cars' issues.

I am extremely excited to hopefully have a fully functioning and properly assembled car to say the least. Don't get me wrong, I loved this car when I got it but it only takes a small amount of rather questionable issues to tarnish an otherwise great vehicle.

I spec'd the car out the same as I have now options wise, but changed up the colors a bit:

Crystal White Metallic* (As opposed to my Black Stone)
Slate Interior* (As opposed to Charcoal - personally have not seen the R-Design slate in person but it seems to lean towards a bluer hue)
T6 R-Design
Polestar Engineered Tune
Advanced Pack
Park Assist Pilot
Bowers & Wilkins
Heated Rear Seats and Steering Wheel
Sport Chassis
19" Wheels

·
Registered
96 Posts
Quite recently I noticed that the weather stripping on my right rear door was wet on the bottom side. Better inspection earned also here some of the stripping was coming off.
I was thinking, could the wetness be caused by the stripping coming off or was the wetness already present last winter and did the stripping come of due to freezing and tearing off while opening the door.
I tried to find some logic where the wetness is coming from but could not find it though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
During my 10k mile service (2019 S60 T6 Inscription) today, I mentioned my passenger-side rear door weather stripping was loose/failed. At pick-up tonight, I was told their fix was to wait for parts to arrive in 5 days from Sweden. Hmmm... no glue, but replacement parts instead? (And, not from the SC plant?).

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
During my 10k mile service (2019 S60 T6 Inscription) today, I mentioned my passenger-side rear door weather stripping was loose/failed. At pick-up tonight, I was told their fix was to wait for parts to arrive in 5 days from Sweden. Hmmm... no glue, but replacement parts instead? (And, not from the SC plant?).
any "official" fix is going to be total replacement of the weatherstripping with OEM that comes with new glue/tape pre-applied.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Haven't done one on a SPA car yet, but I'm pretty sure the door panels are not removed to do them. So I don't know what all the worry is about rattles. Even if they are, it is entirely possible to remove and reinstall a door panel without rattles.

The panels may rattle if the process is done without replacing the pins. The pins are generally a one time use due to the barb being damaged during removal. You have to order the pins in advance, and only use OEM pins. They were about .40 per pin.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Most of the interior parts such as weather stripping, fasteners speaker covers panels either are or will soon be manufactured in China, depending on the model. I would also lay big odds down that if in fact the Swedish manufactured and installed weather stripping we wouldn't be having this discussion.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
Haven't done one on a SPA car yet, but I'm pretty sure the door panels are not removed to do them. So I don't know what all the worry is about rattles. Even if they are, it is entirely possible to remove and reinstall a door panel without rattles.

The panels may rattle if the process is done without replacing the pins. The pins are generally a one time use due to the barb being damaged during removal. You have to order the pins in advance, and only use OEM pins. They were about .40 per pin.
Simply not true. What pins are you talking about?

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well, it is finally here and situation resolved!

After the wait for my order to arrive and a little hiccup here and there, I finally received my S60 Replacement and am very happy overall. I chose Crystal White this go around. Said Hiccup above resulted in being able to get the exterior styling kit as well so overall, win win.

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Congrats! She's sharp

·
Registered
95 Posts
Nice to hear you finally ended up in a good spot. Hopefully, your perseverance will be repaid with a perfect new ride. For others facing a similar dilemma, here's a good link that lays out your legal protections and steps to take to ensure resolution. The law is our safety net, but there are rules in place to protect both parties. Ultimately, they favor the consumer ... it just takes a lot of steps and time to get it done.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/lemon-law/

·
Registered
759 Posts
Mmmmm nice, I can almost tell the sport chassis on sight now, it sits just that bit lower, the S60s without I see look like they ride high. Those wheels you got help too. Sweet color, love white.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I had the same issue in My 2018 S90. It was only the driver door (at the bottom). It seems that the heat cause the rubber to stretch and the glue loosen up. Also, frquent use of the door contribute to the issue. So, you better not open any door if you fear that rubber will fall. Just kidding.

Anyway, if your dealer installed a new one, it will not solve the issue and the problem will occur again,if Volvo did not redesign that thing or improved the glue quality.

Save yourself the headache and use a high quality double sided tape, preferably, thin to stick the rubber correctly. There are different brands online.

There is also a double sided tape used for electronics... Laptop screens. It might work very well since it's thin and strong.

All the best.. Don't let anything ruin your enjoyment of your beautiful Volvo

Sent from my YAL-L21 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
OMG same here! Both rear doors stripping just seem to be completely falling off adhered by glue I don't see any Clips or anything the entire bottom are falling off! I've had so many problems that we all have to report them so that these items can be fixed! If we're paying top dollar for a car that's just glued together and has so many issues. 2019 XC60. The interface has massive problems. This car has almost made me crash a few times because of the lane assistance. I also feel that the not having a gas cap causes the car to run out of gas much earlier then indicated. And to top it all off the car leaks from the poor weather stripping around the windows. Also have problems with the keyless entry system not letting me in! Changed the batteries and all and still has issues. Not to mention that foot entry to the trunk they sold me on never worked from day 2. Isn't there somebody we can talk to to get these items check out in bulk by someone who governs over defective items like this? Also I've had severe issues with the left front tire braking system! That should be a recall and itself because it's a danger as I'm driving the highway and the car shakes violently. I'm just a Volvo owner for the first time and need help to make sure for the safety of me and my child. Help? Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
OMG same here! Both rear doors stripping just seem to be completely falling off adhered by glue I don't see any Clips or anything the entire bottom are falling off! [Take it in for warranty repair. Volvo is aware of this issue.] I've had so many problems that we all have to report them so that these items can be fixed! If we're paying top dollar for a car that's just glued together and has so many issues. 2019 XC60. The interface has massive problems. [Vague] This car has almost made me crash a few times because of the lane assistance. [Doubtful, but vague. You can also turn it off.] I also feel that the not having a gas cap causes the car to run out of gas much earlier then indicated. [It doesn't.]And to top it all off the car leaks from the poor weather stripping around the windows. [Is this different than the ones mentioned in this thread? I've never had one leak from a window seal] Also have problems with the keyless entry system not letting me in! Changed the batteries and all and still has issues. [Again, take it in. Haven't seen any issues with this aside from bad remote batteries] Not to mention that foot entry to the trunk they sold me on never worked from day 2. [Literally every case I've had of someone complaining their foot activated tailgate doesn't work has been operator error. But take it in.] Isn't there somebody we can talk to to get these items check out in bulk by someone who governs over defective items like this? [The dealer. That's what warranty is for (assuming you are under 50k miles)]Also I've had severe issues with the left front tire braking system! That should be a recall and itself because it's a danger as I'm driving the highway and the car shakes violently. [Somewhat common issue of "warped" rotors.] I'm just a Volvo owner for the first time and need help to make sure for the safety of me and my child. Help? Thank you in advance!
Comments added.

41 - 60 of 62 Posts