SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sorry to hear you’re having this issue too- welcome to the loose gasket club!

I used gasket adhesive to glue down all the loose spots last month, and it’s already starting to fail in the places I didn’t glue... they really need to be replaced by Volvo with the root cause fixed (design, material?).

And just this last Monday I was driving on the freeway with my moonroof open and heard something flapping above me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well, I have an update for you all.

I as well have dealt with this and still am. My weatherstrips have failed three times now and have been attempted to be fixed each time without being resolved. First, they tried to glue them, got glue all over the car. I will make this short but basically I have had various issues with this car since day one:

-Vibration issues - 3 tires defective and replaced, still persists
-Weatherstripping issues - glued, replaced, replaced, yada yada. In the process of replacement, caused damage to door panels while dissembling and removing them (tears, nicks, and holes in the vinyl as well as scratches and gouges in the window switch and door trim)
-Missing components like clips, caps, retainers etc for the doors and headliner, just completely overlooked and not present - replaced missing components, headliner still sags and rattles
-Rear seat frame assemblies welded incorrectly, entire assembly replaced by dealer
-Front seats click and bind - seats dissembled and greased yet issue still present
-Rattle and squeak in airbag/steering column - attempted repair using felt... still present
-Now the door panels and speakers rattle from being disassembled and the wind noise is atrocious.
-Many other issues I won't even bother to go over...

Basically, Volvo has told me nicely to go F*** myself and deal with the fact that my car has had so many issues, caused extreme disruption to my work/life schedule, and been an agonizing headache since day one. No one likes getting in their car every morning that they pay a pretty penny for every month to be reminded just how much you hate it. I have been patient, understanding, and friendly with staff and Volvo Customer Care but have still been turned down for any further assistance. They do not even have a suggestion of what to do next to try and remedy the issue with the weatherstripping issue still persisting, as they don’t have another fix to try. They told me they will not be assisting in a vehicle replacement, buyback, or trade-assist.

I worked for Volvo, and my family has had over 15 Volvo's over the last 27 years. I normally would not blast them publicly like this, and haven't for the past 4 months but at this point I am breaking my silence as I need help/suggestions of what to do next. The only thing I see at this point would be to threaten by means of a lawyer and filing with the Consumer Protection Agency... I am just baffled as to how you can tell a lifelong customer that you basically can't help them any further and they will just have to suck it up and live with their 4 month old car that apparently cannot be repaired.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts

I as well have dealt with this and still am. My weatherstrips have failed three times now and have been attempted to be fixed each time without being resolved. First, they tried to glue them, got glue all over the car. I will make this short but basically I have had various issues with this car since day one:

-Weatherstripping issues - glued, replaced, replaced, yada yada. In the process of replacement, caused damage to door panels while dissembling and removing them (tears, nicks, and holes in the vinyl as well as scratches and gouges in the window switch and door trim)
-Missing components like clips, caps, retainers etc for the doors and headliner, just completely overlooked and not present - replaced missing components, headliner still sags and rattles
-Rear seat frame assemblies welded incorrectly, entire assembly replaced by dealer
-Front seats click and bind - seats dissembled and greased yet issue still present
-Rattle and squeak in airbag/steering column - attempted repair using felt... still present
-Now the door panels and speakers rattle from being disassembled and the wind noise is atrocious.

Basically, Volvo has told me nicely to go F*** myself and deal with the fact that my car has had so many issues, caused extreme disruption to my work/life schedule, and been an agonizing headache since day one. No one likes getting in their car every morning that they pay a pretty penny for every month to be reminded just how much you hate it. I have been patient, understanding, and friendly with staff and Volvo Customer Care but have still been turned down for any further assistance. They do not even have a suggestion of what to do next to try and remedy the issue with the weatherstripping issue still persisting, as they don’t have another fix to try. They told me they will not be assisting in a vehicle replacement, buyback, or trade-assist.

I worked for Volvo, and my family has had over 15 Volvo's over the last 27 years. I normally would not blast them publicly like this, and haven't for the past 4 months but at this point I am breaking my silence as I need help/suggestions of what to do next. The only thing I see at this point would be to threaten by means of a lawyer and filing with the Consumer Protection Agency... I am just baffled as to how you can tell a lifelong customer that you basically can't help them any further and they will just have to suck it up and live with their 4 month old car that apparently cannot be repaired.
Honestly, if all that is true, a lawyer is probably your best bet.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
It appears that my one week old 2019 T5 R Design has this problem. Thank you for the info.
During inspection of door gaskets I discovered that the door courtesy lights are missing and instead there is an empty hole where they belong, on all four doors. Nice quality control South Carolina! I smell a new thread, Which will also be my first unfortunately!
It should be noted that this car has been confirmed to have been built correctly with regard to the lighting. Nothing is missing.

·
Registered
7,263 Posts

You might be able to seek help via the Lemon Law at this point if one of your (still present) issues has been in for repair 3+ times. I'm no lawyer, but maybe taking it to the next level is what you need to do in order to get Volvo to listen or get you out of this car. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Call a Lemon Law lawyer and start the process. There's no other way. I've been there - it doesn't get better (i.e. - fixed)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

I used gasket adhesive to glue down all the loose spots last month, and it’s already starting to fail in the places I didn’t glue... they really need to be replaced by Volvo with the root cause fixed (design, material?).

And just this last Monday I was driving on the freeway with my moonroof open and heard something flapping above me...

Is there anyone brave enough to check their moonroof gasket to see if it is glued on, or if it’s supposed to just sit on the lip that goes around the opening?

I pushed it back on and it seemed to go mostly back in to place, but there was no sign of any adhesive being used on this gasket.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts

·
Registered
4,893 Posts

Is there anyone brave enough to check their moonroof gasket to see if it is glued on, or if it’s supposed to just sit on the lip that goes around the opening?

I pushed it back on and it seemed to go mostly back in to place, but there was no sign of any adhesive being used on this gasket.

It probably just snaps in but I'll check one when I get a chance

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
It probably just snaps in but I'll check one when I get a chance
Thanks Tech- much appreciated. It almost seems like the gasket is too small for the opening; both front corners of the gasket won’t snap back onto the lip without pulling the other corner...

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The puddle light was not missing.
Yeah, I got that but thanks. I'm just saying there's a lot of misguided "everything Volvo & china sucks" perceptions out there and it's getting old for me.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I'm just saying there's a lot of misguided "everything Volvo & china sucks" perceptions out there and it's getting old for me.
I really don't see this anywhere on this forum; I don't think it's true... I think that people have legitimate concerns here and there, and people need to be allowed to state their problems at a forum like this, without people who are overly "Volvo loyal" to jump all over them. I get being "Volvo loyal"; we've owned Volvo wagons constantly since 1985, and I have no intention to stop doing so. But a lot of what Volvo does frustrates me, and they have to continue earning my business if they want it in future, and I want to hear about other peoples' negative experiences at this forum, as well as their positive experiences. I will never be upset at somebody because they attack Volvo; life is too short.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Nobody is saying Volvo sucks. We can have valid concerns and offer constructive criticism in a civilized manner. That’s what this forum is for.

Just because I openly criticize and voice my concerns about the new S60 and Volvo USA’s general incompetence and poor customer service doesn’t take away from the fact that my 2017 V60 is one of my favorite vehicles I have ever owned. Period.

I work hard for my $ and there is a lot of competition out there. Volvo has to *earn* my business.

Same thing happened on the BMW forums when the previous 3 series came out. And look-BMW actually listened. They delivered a much better car.

That’s all we want. By sharing some grievances, we can maybe hope that Volvo is listening and it helps them improve moving forward.

·
Registered
45 Posts
3900 miles on my 2019 S60 T5 R-Design and I haven’t had any issues with any of the gaskets on any of my doors.

Knock on wood.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
3900 miles on my 2019 S60 T5 R-Design and I haven’t had any issues with any of the gaskets on any of my doors.

Knock on wood.

That’s great! Glad to hear it. If you don’t mind me asking, what area of the country are you in and what was the build month/year of your car?

I’m in New England and my car was built 11/18.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Gaskets

Knock on wood.

My 2019 S60 T6 Inscription was build in December, 2018. Zero gasket problems anywhere that I could find!

·
Registered
45 Posts
...what area of the country are you in and what was the build month/year of your car?

I’m in New England and my car was built 11/18.

I’m in the San Fernando Valley of Los Angeles and my car was built in 12/2018.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
My 2019 S60 T6 Inscription was build in December, 2018. Zero gasket problems anywhere that I could find!
Hmm, it looks like December 18 was a good month for them. I’d say that maybe they had it figured out at that point, except that I’ve seen this issue on a 2020 S60 T6 momentum that I had for a loaner...

Are you in a warmer climate too?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Any new developments? I’m kinda tired of resticking my weather stripping every other day to prevent a total failure.

21 - 40 of 62 Posts